X

Shock Swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Swap

Has anyone tried to do a Hayabusa or ZX10 shock swap on a 98+ Katana 600? Also does anyone know what the stock sprng rate is?

I've been reading that its doable on the SV-650 and I could be wrong, but the SV swingarm and forks look the same, so I was thinking this might be doable. The poor shock on there now was a bit soft to begin with and after 24,000 miles it's about given up. Thanks for any thoughts or advice on this matter.

Don't know about the interchangability...

Anyway, here's what I do know: look for a bike with a marginally higher total weight or about the same weight in the rear (Hyabusa would be good in this sense, as would a Kat 1100) rather than looking at replacements that aren't designed to handle as much weight (i.e. SV650), since the weaker ones will probably fail sooner. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Have you thought about rebuilding what's there? New spring, new cylinder? Might be cheaper in the long run. I don't know about the cylinder, but the spring should be able to be turned pretty cheap by most industrial spring places to your spec...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I looked into it DW awhile back. That reservoir on the Busa (or any late model Gix) gets in the way because of the frame. You best bet is to go with something that has a remote reservoir, like a late model Kat 750 shock or find a NOS Gix 90-92 1100 like it did. Or look at other makes of bikes. I was going to use a rear off of a 2002 ZX900-E2. I have it and I'm pretty sure it will work but I was going to have to have some kind of bracket made for the remote reservoir, plus it's a little bigger around than a stocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
        Your best bet is to go with something that has a remote reservoir, like a late model Kat 750 shock or find a NOS Gix 90-92 1100 like it did.
        I agree with Mr.Clean. Also you could get a 90-92 gix 750 have it rebuilt/revalved and a put a heavier spring. I am having a '92 gsxr 750 rebuilt. Then I am going to ride a while see if it needs a heavier spring. I suspect it will be fine, but riding two up may be too much for the 750 spring.
        As Mr.Clean also stated late model gixxer shocks don't fit because the resevoir hits the frame. Another limiting factor for other shocks can be the diameter of the spring. There isn't much room in the swingarm. My gsxr750 shock is a tight fit.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Have you thought about rebuilding what's there? New spring, new cylinder? Might be cheaper in the long run. I don't know about the cylinder, but the spring should be able to be turned pretty cheap by most industrial spring places to your spec...
        I could find a company willing to work on a kat shock. I was told there not rebuildable.

In this thread Waltari talks about using an RF900 shock.http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=470
        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Working...
        X