X

84 Pop up value

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Pop up value

So I've got an old 1984 Pop up Katana. I ride it everyday to work and back, sometimes on the weekends up the canyon for fun. It runs good and is reliable, but is looking ratty. It leaks oil out the valve cover gasket and seeps just a smidgen out the oil feeder hoses that feed the head. The tires are about due for replacement, and the seat has a rip in the seam where the two colors meet.

Been toying with the idea of selling it now that my 82 Kat is about finished. Round my neck of the woods I might get 1200 bucks out of it. I'd like a bit more, but don't know if its worth it.

It has a new stator and the reg/rec out of a mid 90's CBR. The charging system is healthy and well grounded. The front brakes have been overhauled in the last year with new pads, seals, dust boots, and steel braided lines from HEL. The rear brakes were overhauled a few years ago with the same treatment, minus the steel braided line.

The mufflers have been cut off due to rattling noises and replaced with cheapy chrome megaphones I got off eBay. The baffle is removable so you can repack it if you so desire. They mount up using the stock mounts, and do not foul the centerstand. I still have the stock mufflers and they would go with it.

The plastics are cracked but have been repaired (by me) and are solid. The pockets in the fairing and their covers are present. The chain and sprockets were new two seasons ago; they may have 6000 miles on them. Plenty of service life left in them.....

Carbs were gone through 2 winters ago following the guide on the GS resources, using new O-rings courtesy Robert Barr of cycleorings.com. The bike starts every time, idles consistently, and is a rocket when you want it to be.

Forks were overhauled 2 years ago with fresh Bel-Ray 15wt. oil and new seals. Everything works on the bike as it should. It currently has 48000-something KM's on it, but that changes because I ride it every day.

I've converted to a Renthal Tubular handlebar with some clamps off ebay. Much more upright and comfortable. I still have the stock bars and they would go with the bike if I should sell it.

The bike is registered and titled in my name, in Utah, so no issues there with retitling/registering.

I would like to get around 1800 for it but again, I don't know if its worth that much. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I'm at work and don't have access to photobucket.

Would like to get a good start on a fund for something newer and more comfortable for my wife to join me on (maybe a 93 ish GSX 1100G, or a big GSX 1100F Katana?)

Any opinions?

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
    So I've got an old 1984 Pop up Katana.

Any opinions?
    Did you get rid of it yet? How did you get an '84 down in the states? Is it Cdn and does it have the limited serial number on the fairing with the maple leaf?

I am interested cuz, I know the U.S. didn't get these bikes.
    Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

Hey Rob,

It came to me thru Ebay. Dude brought it back from Japan with him when he finished school there.... He went through the pain of titling and registering in New York state, moved to St. Louis and discovered that the drivers there were out to kill him so he gave up riding.

Tis not a Canadian, its a gen-you-whine Jap import. The decals on the inner rear fender are all in Jap script, and it has the 50 mph warning light.

I go back and forth with whether or not I want to sell. I know it is one of the rarest of all Suzuki's, particularly in the states, but even with that distinction the ladies don't come flocking around me. I'd like something newer and more spacious for mama to join me on, but nothing new really strikes my fancy. Harley wanna be? Ugh. Race replica crotch rocket? I'm too old for that foolishness. Goldwing? I'm not old enough for that. What to do?

Anyway, here are a few not so current pics. I've just had the seat reupholstered so the crack is no longer a problem, and picture chrome mufflers instead of the black ones and you're pretty much there.

Comment

... someone fell down on both sides.
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Yup... came to me that way.

Comment

Working...
          X