X

My Project GSXR PIC HEAVY!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Project GSXR PIC HEAVY!!!

Okay, so I bought a 2002 GSXR-600 with 8,636 miles for $850.00 on Thu(02/16), a thanks to Adam Mather for helping me pick it up on to my trailer . Bought it home, put a battery in, it fired right up. Took it for a quick spin up and down the road with really zero issues. Though, there ARE some issues with the bike. Here are some pics to show what they are:

Front wheel(holds air, but yes, it's getting replaced):

"Broken Frame"(According to gixxer.com):

Rear plastics and tail light:

Just one of the many missing/wrong bolts:

Yoshi pipe a LITTLE too close to the tire:

Rear seat a little banged up:

Headlight/mirror bracket:

Scratched up headlight:

Cracked headlight fairing and missing air duct:

Missing air duct again:

Overall view at its worst:

So, as you can see, there's some work to be done, but it DOES run and ride, so for $850.00...I'm pretty pleased.

-Mike-
    Last edited by Pa Kat; 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM. Reason: Updated Photo Links.
    sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
    2004 Katana 600 - Gone
    2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Not a bad deal for a project bike...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's gonna need some TLC! I'm amazed that front tire holds air. And what's up with the crack in the front fairing? It looks like they drilled both side so they could lace it back together.

Might want to add a chain to your fix-it list. That ones looking pretty rough. I'm guessing you'll come out ahead on this one but it's not a sure thing, even at that price.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

$850...ouch

EDIT- thought it was a lot older than an 02...definitely a good deal for an 02 bike
        Last edited by MikeyZ; 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Bill, yeah, they did that to a couple of the fairings.

Chain and sprockets are going to be done as well. As far as how much I'll put out, I'm on a pretty tight budget being disabled, so it's a LOT easier for me to buy a project than come up with the money for a nice bike all at once. This way, I can buy parts here and there.
          sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
          2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I'd buy it as a project, but everyone knows I'd just fighter it.

Are you trying to put it back to stock?

Comment

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, some of it's already modded, it's lowered, got the Yoshi pipe, the hacked up fender eliminator, that's about it. I plan on buying a new set of plastics from eBay, new tires, chain and sprockets, tail light, headlight bracket, rear turn signals, maybe a new rear seat, should be a fine bike. Oh, and of course, oil change, new plugs, a new oil pan gasket, and starter gear cover...It's got JB Weld on it.
              sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
              2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                $850...ouch

I get PMs and questions all the time from people who spend more than that for just a few of the parts off a bike like that gsxr (front and rear suspension with rims) to put on their katana much less buying the full working bike that needs a little tlc....

Peoples responses sometimes just tickle me...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  I get PMs and questions all the time from people who spend more than that for just a few of the parts off a bike like that gsxr (front and rear suspension with rims) to put on their katana much less buying the full working bike that needs a little tlc....

Peoples responses sometimes just tickle me...

Krey
                  Indeed. I know it needs work, but I was looking at another one for $1000.00 with no title, no plastics whatsoever, no headlight, tail light, turn signals, seats, etc. And ended up getting sold. I honestly still think that $850.00 is a good buy for me. I don't have $3000.00 RIGHT NOW to buy a bike that needs nothing. Coming up with a hundred here and there is easily doable, besides, I appreciate stuff more when I have to work on them. Just buying a new bike will most likely never happen.
                  sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                  2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                    $850...ouch
                    Least intelligent response of 2012 right there

Glad you finally found a good deal! That's an easy one to fix up.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I agree, that's a good project to fix up for yourself or sell. Around here that same bike would be priced at $1,500

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        Least intelligent response of 2012 right there
                        I'm pretty sure the halfass carb clean advice was less intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                          I agree, that's a good project to fix up for yourself or sell. Around here that same bike would be priced at $1,500
                          Oh, I'm keeping it. I like the bike, just can't wait to finish it up.
                          sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                          2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

You'll have a clean canvass to work with. Keep us updated with the progress. I'd love to see a "before and after" shot.
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

There will most likely be a lot of during shots as well. Part by part, I'll post what I get done.
                              sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                              2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Working...
                              X