No announcement yet.
X

1000cc kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in Canada. I bought a katana in 1982 when they first came out in Canana and the USA. Mine was an 1100, the USA got 1000. 1983 was the last year and only year for 1100s katana in the USA. The USA had one year 1982 of 1000s katana. So, '82,'83 was it, for the original design for North America. In 1984 (Canada) we got the gs1150efe which was the mono shock gsx1100 in Europe. We (North America) did not get any of the original 750/1100 katanas in 1981 or 1984 and I have not seen any 1981 katanas anywhere else. I have seen katanas with a build date in late 1981 but of course they were the 1982 introduction models. I recently owned a 1982 katana with suzuki build paperwork, serial number 00042. Built in 1981, delivered in 1982.
    I also have a couple bike magazines harolding the debut of the katana in 1982.

The USA didn't get any pop up katanas. Canada got the first in 1984 (750 limited edition). It had a three digit serial number on the fairing starting with "001" ending with "201" (no number 13) I have owned 2 of them. Only 200 made that year in Canada. 1985,86 we got many more and '86 is when they ended here.

I see that the original 1100 katana enjoyed a third year, 1984 in Europe but in North America we only got the gs1150efe. Full fairing ugly mono shocked ancor of a bike with the two belts across the tank and of course the GSXR arrived in 1986 changing racing for ever.

I also agree that "katana" should have ended in 1986 with a name change for the gsxf.
    Last edited by katman1260; 10-18-2010, 01:14 PM.
    Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
      why is it that most people who mention the kat first hitting the market say that it was in 82?

well y'all are off by two years. the katana appeared on the market in 1980. the 1100 kat had already been sold 2 years before they introduced the 1000 kat.
      and then they only made it two years. the reason it is "rarer" than the 1100....well just do the math. 5 yrs production for the 1100 vs 2 years production for the 1000.
      "CYCLE WORLD" magazine, Feb 1983
      Page # 43: "The first katana, the 1982 model, wasn't much to look at..."
      Page # 40: "In the seas of imported motorcycles flodding the U.S., the original 1982 katana looked different..."

Comment

There you go. No more speculation.

Comment

I am just checking Im having trouble replying

Well that worked. Sorry Mojoe my reply does seem like I was talking about all Katanas, I just assumed that I was repling to a thread entitled 1000cc Kat that we were all talking about 1000s my mistake.
          In Australia we got Katanas from 1981 to 1984 in the original shape they came out in 750 and 1100, we got 1000s in 83 only I dont think we got a 750 in 1984.
          we then got the pop up headlight 750 in 85 maybe 86.
          In Australia a Katana is a GSX1100S and 81 was a SX 82SZ 83SD 84SE or GSX750S etc.
          In 1983 the engines were painted Black and they had different wheels and extra bolts in the tappet cover (still leak though).
          We also got a wire wheel option in early 82 often refered to as a SXZ or a 6hour Special, this is a popular modification in Australia my bike has wire wheels but not factory.

My bike is a 1000 by the engine numbers and Vin number GS10X- as appose to GS110X but it is fitted with 1100 barrels and bored to1182cc and CV carbs by the previous owner. I have the original barrells and pistons and carbs, Im trying to get a push /pull throttle and switch block so I can refit the carbshttp://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/djob1000/
          Last edited by djob1000; 10-20-2010, 04:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by katman1260 View Post
            "CYCLE WORLD" magazine, Feb 1983
            Page # 43: "The first katana, the 1982 model, wasn't much to look at..."
            Page # 40: "In the seas of imported motorcycles flodding the U.S., the original 1982 katana looked different..."

what is this article based on....US import bikes or worldwide?

just asking because there was indeed a katana in Suzuki's 1980 line-up.
            they revealed the kat in 1980 at a motorcycle show AFTER it was already being used by suzuki racing. in 81 it hit the production line with the 4:1 exhaust replaced by the dual exhaust and it was labeled the gsx1100s. then in 82 it was called the gasx1100sz....with "z" meaning 1982 as the production year.

so I guess it all depends how you see it. if you consider 82 to be the 1st year for the kat just because that was the first year it was available for the US, then 82 it is. but I tend to consider 80 the birth of the kat because it was being built and raced by suzuki, and even thought it was still considered a "prototype", it was a REAL machine that was being ridden and raced.

anyhoo....this site has all the info you need. it's up to you to decide when you think the real birth of the katana was

Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Originally posted by djob1000 View Post
            I am just checking Im having trouble replying

Well that worked. Sorry Mojoe my reply does seem like I was talking about all Katanas, I just assumed that I was repling to a thread entitled 1000cc Kat that we were all talking about 1000s my mistake.
            In Australia we got Katanas from 1981 to 1984 in the original shape they came out in 750 and 1100, we got 1000s in 83 only I dont think we got a 750 in 1984.
            we then got the pop up headlight 750 in 85 maybe 86.
            In Australia a Katana is a GSX1100S and 81 was a SX 82SZ 83SD 84SE or GSX750S etc.
            In 1983 the engines were painted Black and they had different wheels and extra bolts in the tappet cover (still leak though).
            We also got a wire wheel option in early 82 often refered to as a SXZ or a 6hour Special, this is a popular modification in Australia my bike has wire wheels but not factory.

My bike is a 1000 by the engine numbers and Vin number GS10X- as appose to GS110X but it is fitted with 1100 barrels and bored to1182cc and CV carbs by the previous owner. I have the original barrells and pistons and carbs, Im trying to get a push /pull throttle and switch block so I can refit the carbshttp://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/djob1000/

that sounds about right. all letters after the S such as Z, D, E.....those letters represent the model year. it works the same on the 88-94 katana 1100. they are all considered gsx1100f, but it's really GSX1100FJ for 88, FK for 89, FL for 90...etc etc.
            Last edited by Mojoe; 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Does anyone know the production numbers for the '82 US version?

The one pictured, I bought in March 1982 for $4,499. I'm slowly building a second one. Just curious how many were out there originally.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
                Does anyone know the production numbers for the '82 US version?

The one pictured, I bought in March 1982 for $4,499. I'm slowly building a second one. Just curious how many were out there originally.

Z
                If those are all yours i am truly envious of your collection. My lady's mom's boyfriend has alot of old suzukis and tourers. Always fun to see his garage with the lights on

Comment

Do you suppose that Honda was tired so it layed down to take a rest?

Comment

Originally posted by tenn851 View Post
                    Do you suppose that Honda was tired so it layed down to take a rest?

rofl that's what i thought!

i really want an old katana ithink they are sexy as hell! but i'd want efi and modern suspension ( but still dual shock set up like zrx1200r).
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

i thought the 1000s was 2 valve bike, i think thats why ther rare?, not many of them ??,

Comment

1982 Katana

Does anyone have an accurate number as to how many 1982 Katana's were imported into the United States? BTW: That is one cool Garage in earlier posts. Attached is a pic of mine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

GS1000sZ 1982

I have one and it is my second. This one I restored, the original became a dragbike many years ago. There were internal changes to these motors which made them desirable. The cranksaft was lightened but strengthened by relocating some of the oil ports. The stator was lightened and made smaller to take load off of the crankshaft and allow the engine to rev faster. The connecting rods were so good that many professional drag racers still buy them today for use in both Suzuki and Kawasaki big bore, nitros and turbocharged engines. I have heard the 1000 cc engine was the result of a rule change for Daytone which downsized the class from 1100cc to 1000cc. Most OEMs pumped up 750 engines but Suzuki downsized an 1100. Can't swear to that but it sounds logical.
                          Topgas
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by topgas; 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: add pics

Comment

G'day Billy.
                            This reply is directed to the first post. I don't want to step on anyone’s toes or get tangled up in the 'when was the first Kat released' or 'Suzuki never made that Kat' web.
                            Billy, I'm from Oz and I also have one of those 1000 Kats. The one you are looking at should have GS10X on the engine number. It should have 32mm VM carbs (black) but what you can't see are the larger exhaust valves, welded crank and a slightly hotter cam. If you want a pic of how it looked when it was released here in Oz, go to http://www.katanacentral.co.uk/commu...s/gsx1000s.asp
                            I don't usually ride with the race fairing on as it gets a bit warm in Summer plus I prefer the look of the Kats with the engine exposed.
                            I was recently talking to the guy who imported and raced them here in Western Australia and unfortunately he only brought five into this state. Three of them were dished down the road at Wanneroo race track and the other two are alive. Mine is a daily rider and the other (the last time I talked to the owner) is in parts in a shed near Serpentine Dam. That's the story here anyway.
                            I was told by the guy who imported them to keep it and if it ever gets too hard to look after, put it in the back of the shed and put a sheet over it. They are getting expensive as we speak. This guy (I keep saying this 'this guy' and I know it sounds a bit bogus but he's a dealer now and I don't have his permission to put his name here) is buying up old bikes and selling them all over the place. He said $5500 is about right for that bike now but keep it for another ten years and you'll be glad you did. The Kats have not gone up in value over the last ten years as have other bikes of the same ilk, but they will. The bike you are looking at has had a fair bit of work done to it so if you thinking of keeping it for resale, be prepared to soak some money into it to get it back to original. Nothing that can't be done.
                            Good luck which ever way you go with it, but I hope to hear that you are the proud owner of that Kat and you are restoring it to its former glory.
                            All the best,
                            Scott.

Comment

a history lesson for today has been learned reading this thread

Comment

On this page you will see the diff specs for the 1100 and 1000 cam timing. Also the crank change from 1100e to 1100s and rotor change.

http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_specifications.html

The 1100 kat just used a 750 rotor. Rods have more nickel than the 1100e. A local dude has a beautiful 83 1100 kat here and couldn't get $2,500.00 for it so he kept it.

Comment

Working...
                                X