X

Project "Historical Racer"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi rschlegel,

I see your point about a sort of front fairing that could cover the gauges and wiring.

I thought about that in the beginning and I had a couple of inspirations for a naked look (picture below).

while definitely the first solution is the one that I like the most (very minimal) and relatively simple to upgrade for, at this stage I wanted to make the bike as naked as possible with cables exposed.

the dash is going to have a small upgrade in the next month: all the wiring are going to be covered with a black casing (flexo mesh wrap) and the led fuel meter is going to have machined aluminum casing (ill post the CAD model soon). Those two combined will clean the look of the dash a lot.

but in the near future I maybe buy a simple headlight fairing and install it.

regarding where the frame meet the forks, I agree.. it could greatly improved with some type of fairing, like the one in the last picture. I will cover that part and increase the "aggressivity" of the bike.

thanks for the input!

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
    Looks great. Suggestion, since you made the dash,you could probably make a housing to cover the wiring and gauges from the front. Everything else is coming off with great taste for a naked Kat and the exposed gauges and wiring could be turned into something else to draw your eyes from the frame ( IMHO the one place I have not seen someone correct. Specifically from the steering head to were the two frame pieces bend and follow the bike length wise). It seems the best naked Kats ( yours I would include ) include fantastic work that makes you look at that work instead of that portion of the frame. I would love to see someone possibly do some fiberglass work to make a cover that covers the upper portion of the frame, fills in the lower portion of the gas tank and makes a clean ending were the rear bodywork begins. That would also allow more room to make the paintwork do something special. That came to mind looking at the bike you got the paint theme from.
    I had a hard time not jumping ahead to see how you were going to work the paint theme in. You did a great job. The idea of the chin piece was great and looks fantastic!
    Last edited by DNLT; 04-14-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

The first small screen on the Ducati could play well into the theme you started. What a great project!

Comment

Originally posted by DNLT View Post

Result

I really like how that came out, gives it a much more modern look. I think I'll try that out on my 92 Katana.

Also is that still the stock tail light?

Comment

Love the glass-wrapped headers. I have the same V&H headers and wanted to wrap them.... but was afraid that I'd have to drop the exhaust every time I wanted to change the oil. the filter is already fairly snug in between the center head-pipes. Can you still pull your oil filter without dropping the header?
          sigpic
          '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Comment

I am in the process of making a "headlight fairing" for my '00.

I'm using an old visor from a helmet I crashed in 2011. It's flexible and cuts easily with a dremel. I'm not sure how it will take paint, but I am planning to coil any excess wires behind it, and zip-tie them on top of the headlight.

The stock wiring harness is really long, because it routes around the fairings. You can take a much shorter route on a naked bike. I may shorten the wires eventually, but I am so hesitant to cut anything... can't un-cut it. I guess I could always solder the length back into it, but it just seems like the second I cut it, I will regret it.
            -Chris
            **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Judas View Post
              I really like how that came out, gives it a much more modern look. I think I'll try that out on my 92 Katana.

Also is that still the stock tail light?
              yeah absolutely!

Originally posted by lastleg View Post
              Love the glass-wrapped headers. I have the same V&H headers and wanted to wrap them.... but was afraid that I'd have to drop the exhaust every time I wanted to change the oil. the filter is already fairly snug in between the center head-pipes. Can you still pull your oil filter without dropping the header?
              I changed the oil before putting the exahust back.

you can still take the filter and the bottom plug off, but I would still drop the headers so to not drip oil on the wrapping.

Originally posted by rk97 View Post
              I am in the process of making a "headlight fairing" for my '00.

I'm using an old visor from a helmet I crashed in 2011. It's flexible and cuts easily with a dremel. I'm not sure how it will take paint, but I am planning to coil any excess wires behind it, and zip-tie them on top of the headlight.

The stock wiring harness is really long, because it routes around the fairings. You can take a much shorter route on a naked bike. I may shorten the wires eventually, but I am so hesitant to cut anything... can't un-cut it. I guess I could always solder the length back into it, but it just seems like the second I cut it, I will regret it.

the plastic of a visor with should be easily paintable.. I wouldnt see any problems with it, just make sure to buy a good paint.

regarding the wiring, I did not cut anything because you can just fold all the extra length underneath the gas tank.

I replace all the dash lights and I built a custom LED fuel meter. My modification were after the quick connector, so to be easily removable.
              Last edited by DNLT; 04-20-2014, 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Awesome work my friend. Can't wait to see it with the finished front cowl and white wheels.
                "Never trust a big-butt and a smile"
                96 Katana (down) ~ 09 Kawa ER6n

Comment

Really cool build and I like the theme a lot. Not big on the purple wheels but the white headers look perfect including everything else. Good job!

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

redacted
                    Last edited by Judas; 05-15-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

The ducati front fairing has been ordered..so the additional white paint... the final details are coming to the end.

on the other side.. the bike is awesome to ride... the guy before me rebuilt the carb and the forks!

unfortunately two days ago after my ride I forgot to put the fuel valve on off, and the morning after the cyclinders and crankcase was flooded with fuel.
                      The vacuum safety valve failed...

so today I have to replace the oil (damn it has less than 100 miles!) and empty the cilinders...

Thank you all for the congrats and positive critics!
                      Last edited by DNLT; 05-18-2014, 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You shouldn't have to switch it to off. If you do, that's 1 issue, petcock needs a rebuild. Issue 2, your floats aren't sealing correctly. They may be set wrong, or be damaged worn, or the oring needs replacing. Time to pull up a copy of carbs 101
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

ok guys!

I know what happen and that is a stupid rookie mistake.

I completely misunderstood the way the petcock works.

I run all day in the PRI position and then left it like that all night...

lesson learned!

thanks to whoever posted this link

Last edited by DNLT; 05-18-2014, 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

well....problems are not stopping...finally replaced the oil... started the bike... no problems...

until the second gear started slipping...

the problem could be quite big... someone says that you need to take the engine down and open it up.

some other says that theres a "quick" way...

its either a peg.. a shift fork or gear tooth missing..

any ideas?

Comment

Slipping like not keeping up with the RPMs?
                              or
                              Slipping like it falls out of 2nd gear and back into neutral?

first one could be a simple clutch adjustment, the 2nd is the worn shift fork and probably not worth the effort of replacement. If you really want 2nd gear... a 98+ motor is in your future. I find the majority of pre 98 motors you find in the wild will have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Andorf View Post
                                Slipping like not keeping up with the RPMs?
                                or
                                Slipping like it falls out of 2nd gear and back into neutral?

first one could be a simple clutch adjustment, the 2nd is the worn shift fork and probably not worth the effort of replacement. If you really want 2nd gear... a 98+ motor is in your future. I find the majority of pre 98 motors you find in the wild will have the same problem.

I tried the clutch adjustment already.. but it matchs with the problem that everyone else had.. with either a bent fork or a damaged gear.

Once the gear it is "in" as soon as I start to accelerate it slips back to neutral, and the only way to hold it is to keep up the shift lever up.

once the third is in.. no problems at all.

With engine swap Im afraid to not know what im getting into... if it has more problems...

why do you suggest the 98?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X