X

Comment for Wheel Fitments post.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment for Wheel Fitments post.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to add this? But last night I did a 2000 front wheel swap, to my 95 600. I can now see why Suzuki went to 2 piston calipers on the post 98's! After I did the swap, the spokes of the wheel were rubbing the backs of the calipers(only by .005"), turns out that the raised letters on the spoke were making contact. The letters are close to .040" high, after I filed the letters down flush, I was left with about .030" gap for the wheel to pass the caliper. I thought I was going to need later calipers, but after I blued the spokes and went for a hard ride, I found no contact was being made.

All worked out well.

sweet!
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

yeah, the post 98 forks are also like 8mm further apart then the pre. I've done a post rim on a pre several times, with a pre steering stem, are you sure something isn't funky on your front end? Holy **** bro, you actually read the how-to forum!!! Lots of cool stuff in there isn't there?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        yeah, the post 98 forks are also like 8mm further apart then the pre. I've done a post rim on a pre several times, with a pre steering stem, are you sure something isn't funky on your front end? Holy **** bro, you actually read the how-to forum!!! Lots of cool stuff in there isn't there?
        Could be a funky front end, as I've had the bike less than one year.

When I got it, the front end was a mess! bent forks, wheel, rotor, bar, and upper fairing. over the last few months, I've ebayed all the parts to make it right.

I'm 99% sure the front end is dead nuts! It tracks straight and under a panic stop, is also straight. Has no wobble or vibration, and forks are smooth, and everything measures even. All looks well, like rotor spacing, also before I filed down the spokes, the spokes were rubbing evenly on both sides.

It makes sence that Suzuki would go with a little wider triple for safety sake.

Also a tight fit on the brakes! to remove the wheel, I need to remove the brake pads, than the calipers to clear the rotors. I only need the rotor to be 1/8" smaller! Are the later rotors a little bit smaller?

Comment

I have 98-02 Galfer wave rotors (with pre calipers and Carbone Lorraine pads), no issue. HS2020 has 98-02 rotors on his pre as well. Wait, you mean you have pre rotors on a post rim?
          Last edited by arsenic; 12-13-2008, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I have 98-02 Galfer wave rotors (with pre calipers and Carbone Lorraine pads), no issue. HS2020 has 98-02 rotors on his pre as well.
            I'll pick up some post rotors in the near future.

First thing in the morning I need to pull the wheel, clean it up, repaint and balance. It looks like hell with my seat of the pants filing job!

After I weld my 91GSXR1100 mufflers on it, I post some pics.

Also, Arsenic, could you take a look at the clearance of your pre brakes to post wheel spoke and tell me how much you've got? I'm speaking of the gap from the cast fluid line(from piston to piston) to the lettering on the spoke. Thanks.
            Last edited by GSXfs600; 12-13-2008, 02:42 AM.

Comment

my stuff is no were near together right now, I also have a post steering stem, so I can't offer much help

Comment

No Problem, Thanks and goodNight!

Comment

This morning I was thinking about getting a later triple, than it hit me! Wider forks would make no difference, as the calipers are lined up well with the rotors. So the real fix is later 2 piston calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                    Also a tight fit on the brakes! to remove the wheel, I need to remove the brake pads, than the calipers to clear the rotors. I only need the rotor to be 1/8" smaller! Are the later rotors a little bit smaller?
                    lined up well eh?

Comment

1/8 (.125) of an inch is 3.175mm. About 8mm divided by two is 4mm. So there's your 1/8" difference right there SO, basically, to do a 98+ rim correctly you should use a 98+ stem and upper triple clamp, but you don't need to.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 12-15-2008, 02:54 AM.

Comment

1/8 (.125) of an inch is 3.175mm. About 8mm divided by two is 4mm. So there's your 1/8" difference right there SO, basically, to do a 98+ rim correctly you should use a 98+ stem and upper triple clamp, but you don't need to.
                        Think about what I said. The forks make no difference in my case because the brake caliper was rubbing a wheel spoke. The caliper is spaced correctly in relation to the rotor. I guess I could have used the wider forks and spacers for the rotors. Or I could do what Suzuki did and go with two piston calipers instead of the pre98 four(much wider)piston calipers.

What I'm saying is this, The pre 98 forks are not the issue. The pre 98 fat calipers are.

Also Arsenic, The reason I posted this was to help out others. I would hope that you'd edit your wheel fitment post, and add, some may have clearance issues.

If I'd known that the correct way to do this, was a complete front end swap. I would have waited and got the other parts. I did not because I read this: 6. I CAN NOT stress this enough, when swapping post rims on a pre you ONLY need the rims, that's IT. No axle, no spacers, nothing.
                        Last edited by GSXfs600; 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X