X

easy off paint removal... tried and tested by me myself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy off paint removal... tried and tested by me myself

Ok. ive read a few places about useing easy off (yes the oven cleaner) to remove the paint on your bike, and heard a few people asking if it worked or if anyone had tried it. well i have. in fact yesterday i did. Thanx to black_peter who gave a peice of an old fairing of his to do my testing on. thanx peter. I thought i would post up my results to let everyone know how it went down.

I started out by coating the fairing with the easy off and i let it sit for 10 minutes. I was afraid to leave it too long. Came back and used the jet spray on my water hose to spray off any paint. Nothing came off. I was a little dissapointed.

So... I dried it off, and sprayed it down again. This time i let it sit for 30 minutes. I returned and sprayed it off with my water hose. low and behold! it was working. The Pretty light blue sprayed right off, revealing the primer underneath. All though ALL of the paint did not come off, i was able to get about half of it off like this. But it didnt go through the primer.

So... I dried... resprayed the easy off. Again i let it sit for 30 minutes. Came back and jet sprayed with hose. (u see a pattern, lol) anyway, more of the blue paint came off, but still hardly any of the primer sprayed off. A few small parts of it did, revealing a RED coat of paint underneath the primer. cool. Also some body filler that was on it loosened up i was able to peel a little of it away revealing the black plasting of the fairing just on that part. cool, but i was a little dissapointed on the fact that almost all the primer was still there.

So... I dried up... resprayed easy off. This time, i let it sit for an HOUR. I wanted to see if there was any more signifacat of an impact. After returning sprayed her down with the jet stream of the water hose. A little more primer came off, but not a whole lot. More red! this stuff just doesnt seem to work on the primer. It did seem to soften up the body filler though... just a little bit...

So... It was getting late, real late, and i was tired. Really I wanted to know if easy off would hurt the plastic at all. So for the ULTIMATE TESTING... (kindof). Since some of the black plastic was exposed, I sprayed down the peice with easy off one last time, making sure to coat the exposed plastic extra well. had just enough in the easy off can to do it. Allthough, i wasnt going to return to this to spray with water... nope. I went to bed! I thought i would let it sit over night. And then some! i got up around 8:30 and still, left to go get myself another job (that might be on a different thread). anyway, once i returned home at about 10:30, i sprayed it off. didnt really do much... Not any better than letting sit for 1 hour anyway. a few more spots sprayed off. But for the most part, most of the primer was still there! but in a few small areas i managed to get through to the black plastic. ugh. Good news though! the easy off oven cleaner did not hurt the plastic at all! not 1 bit. even after being on it for like, 10 hours. it was intact. i repeat
    Easy off spray does not affect the Plastic. (atleast on the pre-98 )

all in all-- i used a whole can of easy off, and barely got through the primer after 15 hours... So.. if you only have 1 layer of paint, this might work for you... but like i said, barely got through the primer for me... i dunno maybe ill try again later.

by the way, just cuz i say the spray doesnt hurt the plastic, doesnt mean it wont on your bike, so make sure you test it out before u spray down all your parts with this stuff. i would hate to get blamed for your melted fairing, but im just saying it didnt hurt theplastic that i had.

ok. think ill try it a little more, then if it doesnt work after can number 2... im gonna have to find another method.
    Hope this answers some questions.
    ~chris

Wow..
    In case anyone is interested:
    Primer, Duplicolor Auto primer
    (possibly filler/primer)

Body filler:
    Fiberglass resin (from Bondo Fiberglass repair kit)
    Mixed with baking soda (as a bulking agent)

The red is the factory color..

Nice documentation Chris. Sorry it didn't work out.

Comment

I've been using Easy-Off for about 15 years to clean up grease/oil buildup on trucks, especially on the cross-brace under the motor and suspension parts.

HOWEVER - Easy-Off is caustic and will damage your skin, especially the eyes, so wear protection. I got a drop in my eye cleaning the oven (of all things) once, it sucked mightily.

It will also corrode aluminum quickly, leaving a whitish powdery area. Single coats of thin paint, like radiators and other underhood paint, will also strip off pretty quick. However, it works great on stainless steel.

Comment

Originally posted by ironhorse
        I got a drop in my eye cleaning the oven (of all things) once, it sucked mightily.
        That is ironic...

Comment

Here some more info about the easyoff and ABS plastic!

Back in July I posted my findings about the Easy-Off paint removal, I hope this helps. Might think about using a pressure washer for removing the dissolved paint. I tried and it worked out great.

Here is a little bit from the post.

This came up: https://www.maxxtraxxusa.com/Paint_R...ard_Bodies.cfm

Well followed the procedures except, I used a 1200 Psi pressure washer to remove the paint (after it dissolved), and the Easy-Off actually works without damaging the plastic. Had to do it two times and the last of the paint that didnt come off, I wet sanded off the rest.

For those of us who have messed up painting their ABS PLastic, you might want to give Mr. Easy-Off a try at your paint. It works well, but try a small area first and test.

I hope this helps,

Ride Safe,
          Riding the twisties of 9,11,28,178,215 of Western North & South Carolina.

Comment

hell yea, only problem is i dont have a pressure washer...
            ~chris

Comment

Borrow !!

I borrowed the pressure washer from a fellow mountain twisty's rider!

Comment

I've got about 3 coats of paint, the last being really heavy. Funny, Easy-Off has worked well in some spots, and in others it didn't do a dang thing. I even tried wetsanding the clear coat first, that didn't make a difference.

Have yet to try a pressure washer though. At least some of the paint comes off, less to have to sand off.

One tip though, if you decide to use this stuff to strip the paint, get to your local Dolar General or Big Lots. You can buy the generic stuff for a 1/3 of the price, I would figure at least one can per piece.
                "I'm not crazy because I take the right pills."

Comment

Let the Easyoff set for 15 - 30 minutes.

I applied a lot of the easyoff on my TLs plastic. After about three applications and the pressure washer and 90% of the old paint had dissolved.

Just make sure the easyoff stays on for about 30 minutes before you start to rinse it away.

Comment

EasyOff is also good for stripping andonizing from aluminum. Soak the piece for a couple minutes then wipe/brush off and rinse well. The oxidation process will start almost immediately so start the refinishing of your choice soon after.

Comment

cool! thanks for the tip.
                      ~chris

Comment

correct me if I am wrong, but once you calculate the volume of easy-off in a can, and how far it will actually go, isn't good ol' paint stripper just as cheap, yet faster acting?
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i dunno really. wont that damage the plastic though? i dont remember.
                          ~chris

Comment

some plastics it will...some it won't. you should always test on the back first. but I have done it before on the plastics it will soften up. you just have to rinse it off sooner, and stop at the oem primer.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I found some stuff at the local hardware store a couple years ago. It came in a PLASTIC bottle and smells like oranges. Worked pretty fast on a 84 honda.

Comment

Working...
                              X