X

Complete Oil Change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Oil Change

Not too long ago, my bike fell over while I was at work. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site, and according to many of you, I would have gasoline contamination. I would like to know how to remove ALL the oil from my bike, so I would know for certain that I no longer have any gasoline contamination. I think the oil cooler and clutch pack need to be removed (I think). Can some of you direct me in the right direction? Thanks.

just change your oil like normal that will get rid of 98% of it and ride it then change the oil again when its time youll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
      just change your oil like normal that will get rid of 98% of it and ride it then change the oil again when its time youll be fine
      Actually, a standard oil change on a Kat will only swap out about 65 - 75% -- draining the oil cooler by hand will net you another 15% or so. For a traditional spill where the bike was picked upright again in a matter of minutes, a standard oil change should be fine. If your carb float got stuck and leaked quite a bit of fuel, do two oil changes -- do the first one, run the bike for 5 minutes, then do another one. To keep it cheap, use cheap motorcycle motor oil on the first oil change -- but make sure the carb float issue is addressed before you start the oil changes, so the new oil won't get contaminated.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have another question. If I do two oil changes, and use a cheap dino motorcycle oil on the first oil change. Then I plan on using Mobile MX4T synthetic on the second oil change. Will mixing dino oil with synthetic oil cause any problems? Just wondering because it seems that you can't get all the oil out when changing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
          Will mixing dino oil with synthetic oil cause any problems?
          No. All API-spec and all JASO-MA spec oils will mix without any issues what so ever, by industry regulation.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CyberPoet

Comment

last winter I left my pet cock set at PRIM so this spring my oil was full of gas. I drained all the oil/gas combibation including the oil cooler. then put car oil in I ran it for 1 or 2 mins. Then I let the bike cool for a couple of min then drained the oil and then replaced the oil filter and fresh new bike oil.

Comment

How do you drain the oil cooler?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                  How do you drain the oil cooler?
                  Unbolt the two hoses going to it (make sure you grab the O-ring between each hose and the cooler so they don't get lost!), then unbolt the two upper bolts on the cooler.
                  At this point:
                  98+ Models: slide the cooler sideways a little to clear the lower tabs that hold it up.
                  Pre-98 Models: unbolt the lower brackets, I believe.

Lift the cooler away, turn it on it's side above an oil drain pan and let it drain out. Reinstall by doing the reverse of the removal steps.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X