X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DooD
    Hey..this has been bugging me for quite some time...

What exactly IS the difference between the speedo pickup on the '98+ Kat and the '01+ Bandit 12? Is it just a different size/shape of pickup? Or is it in a completely different position on the bandit? Kwebbel, Special K...anyone? Is there any way to simplify this part of the swap? I remember someone saying that you can't drill the hardened steel case cover.....but I'm pretty sure that the drill presses we have at work could do it...our machinists work with cold rolled, T1 etc. all the time, so there's gotta be something I can do....

Is the B-12 a speedo cable, and the Kat using a pickup instead?

Thoughts? Pictures? Info? Thanks guys!
    I think its the Ignition pickup that is different, I am not sure.. last time I checked, a Speedo cable runs to a Hub on the front wheel to your dash, and has Nothing to do with the engine itself.

-Grimmy
    Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....so then the speedo 'pickup' reads off the motor (well.....front sprocket i do believe?), whereas the 'cable' type reads the front wheel?

So when I changed the front sprocket on the Kat to a 13T and now have speedo error, doing so on a bandit would have no effect?
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

What exactly IS the difference between the speedo pickup on the '98+ Kat and the '01+ Bandit 12? Is it just a different size/shape of pickup? Or is it in a completely different position on the bandit? Kwebbel, Special K...anyone? Is there any way to simplify this part of the swap? I remember someone saying that you can't drill the hardened steel case cover.....but I'm pretty sure that the drill presses we have at work could do it...our machinists work with cold rolled, T1 etc. all the time, so there's gotta be something I can do....

Couldn't tell you DooD, never was an issue for me since I built a complete electronic dash with it's own speedo-pickup.

Comment

• OoooooOOOO! Do tell!

I was thinking of going for the Veypor computer solution...but please, go ahead and fill me in! :P
          FrankenKat 1216
          GS Fiter 816
          GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• I posted a topic once on the dash I custombuilt DooD (My new dash)
            You can find some pics in the KR-album

Comment

• I can't find 'em! And the pics in your post are no longer accessible!
              FrankenKat 1216
              GS Fiter 816
              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• Album -> modified and custom 5th (nightshots) and 6th page DooD.

Comment

• Hmmm......very cool!

I'm still no closer though.....I'd like to keep the stock guages and have them operating with the new motor - anyone know how I might go about doing that? (specifically?) something to do with drilling the sprocket bolt?
                  FrankenKat 1216
                  GS Fiter 816
                  GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• Ooooo..also, will I be able to use the starter motor from the Kat6 on the new motor? Or should I be scouring the salvage yards again?
                    FrankenKat 1216
                    GS Fiter 816
                    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

The SHAFT that the speddo pick up bolts to on a 98+ Kat is drilled and threaded.....the Bandit shafts are not. Those shafts are case hardened steel. VERY TOUGH to ever drill through, and NOT in the bike (although Sweet Lou and Corey said they did it - took them all night and a box of drill bits..........)

Easiest way I found in over 5 swaps like this is just to simply modify the Kat pick up like this:

Cut off the "sholder" on the back of the Kat pick up. Add a spacer sized to fit on top of the front sprocket nut. Fasten all together and the pick up is mounted on the nut, so no need for a bolt. Micro weld it or fasten it with 3 micro screws (did it either way - they both work). Be careful to get the thickness of the spacer just right..............
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

• I used the starter and alternator from the Kats...........but you have to change out the drive gear in the alternator as they are different.
                        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

• '90 750 GSXR Engine into '90 600 Kat

Question regarding putting a '90 750 GSXR Engine into my '90 600 Kat.

I already have the old 600 engine torn out of the motor, and I left the bottom supports in place for the time being, to assist with moving it around, and more importantly to assist in remembering how the bottom supports mount back onto the engine.

Any tips or suggestions with putting the 750 engine in? I have 1 spare set of engine mounts from an '88 600 (I think), just in case.

Spec K? Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
                          -Scott

Comment

• Re: '90 750 GSXR Engine into '90 600 Kat

Originally posted by Grimmy
                            Question regarding putting a '90 750 GSXR Engine into my '90 600 Kat.

I already have the old 600 engine torn out of the motor, and I left the bottom supports in place for the time being, to assist with moving it around, and more importantly to assist in remembering how the bottom supports mount back onto the engine.

Any tips or suggestions with putting the 750 engine in? I have 1 spare set of engine mounts from an '88 600 (I think), just in case.

Spec K? Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
                            -Scott
                            At the time we put my engine in, we did not have a lift built, so we did all this on the ground....

We raised the front end of the bike WAY up. we then had the engine placed on a jack. First, we bolted the back mounts in of the egnine cradle, where like the kickstand it, but we only put 1 bolt on each side, so the engine can pivot in and out, we then moved or jack to the front, and bolted it in the front by the header area (again only 1 bolt on each side) (Not to tight at this point, we also had to get ratchet straps to bring the frame in together a bit to make sure the holes lined up) Then, we but the main motor mounts (Long Bolts that go through the engine and frame itself) in, then put the other 2 bolts in the front by the header, then the 2 at the point where we pivoted everything. It is also much easier if you take the front wheel off room wise.

Good luck!!!
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

• I see, and I have a good idea on how to get the engine back into the bike - its getting the correct engine mounts into the lower sub frame, correctly aligned so that the chain will track correctly, etc etc etc.

I guess trial and error is the best method.

-Grimmy

Comment

• You will know if the engine is in correctly, if you can get the main motormounts (The long bolts) in. If those are in, then it will trac correctly.
                                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                                -Ohlins Susupension
                                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X