Alright....the New

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

Can't say I like though...
    Seems they crossed a gixxer with a V-Strom...
    Defenitely don't look like a Kat category.
    Too old to dream, too young to reason...
    I am fond of my rough edges.
    sigpic

Comment

That 1400 looks remarkably like my 83 Honda Nighthawk! It's got it's obvious differences, the similarities in form and OEM paint are a bit eerie!

Comment

What's the deal with the ""Restrictor Kit" Is that like a govenor? Why would one want one?
        2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
        Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
        2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Chin View Post
          What's the deal with the ""Restrictor Kit" Is that like a govenor? Why would one want one?
          If I understand your question, in UK you can take a motorcycle test that allows you to ride any bike up to 33bhp.

The restrictor kit lowers the bhp of a stock bike to 33bhp so you can have the bike, but not all the power. I'm not 100% sure but I think it involves choking the inlet and outlet manifolds and / or air intake / exhaust pipe.
          Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
            If I understand your question, in UK you can take a motorcycle test that allows you to ride any bike up to 33bhp.

The restrictor kit lowers the bhp of a stock bike to 33bhp so you can have the bike, but not all the power. I'm not 100% sure but I think it involves choking the inlet and outlet manifolds and / or air intake / exhaust pipe.
            +1. This applies to many European markets, including Germany.
            The idea is if you have a first-tier motorcycle license, you can get the bike in "restricted form", ride it that way for a year (or until you move to the next tier) and the dealer can then derestrict the bike to create a "standard market version" of it with minimal parts swapping, so you don't have to buy two bikes.

It's common for the restrictor kits on some bikes to be removed almost as soon as the bike gets home [depending on how easy it is to remove], and only reinstalled for annual vehicle inspection, although you can lose your license and get massive fines for getting popped with a home-derestricted version of a restricted bike on a first-tier license.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

from 2012 on our new legislation regarding motorcycle-licenses

from 16-18 yrs 125cc
              from 18-20 yrs max 25KW
              from 20-22 yrs max 35KW
              from 22 full power.
              You have to be at least 20 yrs to be allowed to ride 35KW AND you have to ride 2 full years 35KW. (meaning if one gets into riding on his let's say 24th anniversary he/she has to ride for 2 years restricted too 35KW)

Don't ask me why the government did choose for these "levels" imo they missed real improvement in this way.
              I would have done it in another certainly better way (if I had to )

@CP
              If one's riding on a 25KW-license overhere and gets involved in an accident (even in a singlesided one) his/her bike will ALLWAYS be inspected for the restricorkit, IF absent insurance won't cover ANYTHING.
              Can tell you this works like a dream

Comment

Restricted License a good idea....

There would be thousands of kids still alive today, if the USA had adopted a tiered bike license system. Instead, they're putting air bags on Gold Wings. I just LMAO every time I think about air bags on bikes!

KLR

Comment

I get a kick out of the airbag jacket. Wouldn't it be hilarious to crash, get hit by a car and be thrown into the woods, bouncy fun until you land on a sharp stick... soccer sportbike, lol
                  "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                    from 2012 on

from 16-18 yrs 125cc
                    from 18-20 yrs max 25KW
                    from 20-22 yrs max [minimum 2 years @ this power level, any age] 35KW
                    from 22 full power:
                    I think part of the whole politics-in-riding issue is that most riders will never be politicians and most politicians will never be riders (just different mind-sets, at least the way most politicians minds work that I've seen). Yes, you can point your finger at this politician or that politician who has a cycle and rides (the "Governator" for example), but I'd guess 98% of all congressmen or equivalents don't.

That means those that don't (the majority) usually fall into one of two categories:
                    (A) Let's protect the two-wheeled sods from themselves (over-regulation); OR
                    (B) Let's protect the public from those two-wheeled menaces...

Occasionally you end up with a combination of the two ("Let's protect the public from those two-wheeled menaces by creating laws that appear to protect them from themselves, in the name of safety"), which is what I believe the new super-tiered European system really falls into...

IMHO, they are starting them too late (I honestly believe 125 cc / 15 HP should start at 14 or 15 instead, and you should be able to get to 35 KW [48 HP] by 18 if you started at 3 to 4 years earlier)... I'm not against the two-years at 35KW; I'm against over-stratifying the tier system and it ending up being a way of discouraging people from ever taking up riding. Unfortunately, this kind of over-stratifying is what the anti-tier system people in the US argue adopting any form of tier system will lead to (their point of view: "any tier system will sooner or later be made so complicated that it will discourage people from taking up riding").

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      I think part of the whole politics-in-riding issue is that most riders will never be politicians and most politicians will never be riders (just different mind-sets, at least the way most politicians minds work that I've seen). Yes, you can point your finger at this politician or that politician who has a cycle and rides (the "Governator" for example), but I'd guess 98% of all congressmen or equivalents don't.

That means those that don't (the majority) usually fall into one of two categories:
                      (A) Let's protect the two-wheeled sods from themselves (over-regulation); OR
                      (B) Let's protect the public from those two-wheeled menaces...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      So...
                      (C) Let's protect the public from those two-wheeled menaces by creating laws that appear to protect them from themselves, in the name of safety.

and
                      (D)being a way of discouraging people from ever taking up riding. .........

This last one is the real objective

Comment

yes pics

Comment

Saw it at the show...Decided I don't like it...it's lost some of what makes it the GSX-F/Katana...

If feels like a GS500F but I didn't get to ride it so not sure what it feels like on the street...
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Since nobody bites....
                            I do like the new F, apart from some major upgrades on the engine I do like the design much better than the post-98 model. (kinda modern pre-98)
                            I did ride one and it feels as comfy as a pre-750 or every post-98.
                            The concept for this new F doesn't differ from the original Kats.
                            Just a new comfortable much bang for the buck sportstourer in my book.

Now hit me!

Comment

Now hit me!
                              Nothing you said was wrong so no hitting
                              Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

I did ride one...
                                OK, mister, need a full report on the ride, where the torque band really starts to not lug, where it is in full swing, where it peaks, what the flaws are, what the strengths are.

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X