X

How To Sell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Sell

Regretfully I am selling my Kat. I know I am going to miss it. But I am going back to dirtbikes.

My question is what is the general rule regarding a test drive? I don't know the riding ability of a potential buyer but if he wants to take it for a ride what do I do to cover myself in terms of damage, liability etc? Should I take a cash deposit? Drivers license? What do I do?
    RichC4
    2000 Katana 600
    Quote from my buddy who bought a 2005 Ducati after riding my Kat "I don't get it, why is your bike more fun"

what i always say to the person you give me the cash and you can drive it but you wreck it you bought it. i know it sounds rude but if the wreck it and you dont have the money your screwed and no money and a messed up bike
    wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

I would not let someone off the street take it for a spin. Most dealers won't even let you test ride anymore. I would take the money up front then let them go for a test ride. Write something up with the provisions you feel are appropriate. Something like: if you screw up you own it, or if you over rev it and blow it up you own it. Also something like; refund provided only if during the brief test ride buyer determines there is a fault with the bike that has not been disclosed.
      You have to be careful, test drives turn into stolen vehicles sometimes.
      Always set out the time frame of the ride, and the distance and route they are to take. If you just tell them to take it out and set no time limit, they can usually take it for a few days without really getting into much trouble. It would only be a breach of trust and in KS not really a crime. Car dealers here are now setting time frames, or going with you for test drives. It has been happening alot lately.
      AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

NO TEST RIDES!!!!!!

Just don't do it....and don't feel like a prick for saying no.
        It is a huge risk to you and the potential buyer has to understand this.

My suggestion.....tell the buyer that you will "garantee" the bike for 30 minutes. Meaning he buys it, then has 30 minutes to return with it if for some reason he is not happy with it, where as you will refund his money if he has a legitimate reason for returning it. Beating the crap out of it and coming back complaining it is not powerful enough is not a legitimate reason.

Also....as KSlawman mentioned, a test ride could lead to a disappearing bike.
        Just be safe....don't do it.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I agree with the above posts. Although, I was able to test ride 5 bikes from private owners. None of them asked for proof of licensure...I guess just by our discussions they trusted us. I went with my neighbor and let him ride first since he is very experienced and you could tell he's trustworthy. (I just purchase today, Sunday, a Kat 600 03 private sale off Ebay). One guy told me "if we had any kind of piercings and tatoos, no way." (Told me that after test ride. BTW I have neither).
          LMT

Comment

i dont see why if you have cash in had (the ammount you want for the bike that he cant test drive it) if he recks it you got the money anyway and he just bought it. not yopur problem hell you dont even know who the guy is if he call the law on you. i have never owned a motorcycle in my life officer
            wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

Well, I've bought 4 used bikes and sold 3 (still have the Kat). Whenever I've gone looking for bikes I've never been denied a test ride. If someone were to deny me a test ride I'd say goodbye without any further discussion, but that's me. There are plenty of bikes out there so I'll take one I can at least ride first.

Then if I was happy with the test ride I made an appointment with the seller to have the bike brought to a mechanic. If all went well (once it didn't - inspection paid off well) I just bought the bike on the spot.

When I sell my bikes I always just make sure the guy has a MC license and signs a waiver before the test ride. Once I have the signed waiver and their wallet I ride with them because I've always gotten another bike before selling the old one. If I didn't I'd probably follow in my car.

Only had to deny one person a test ride because he didn't have a MC license, although he did have an expired out of state permit .

I think a "no test rides at all" policy might make some people walk. Then again, folks buy bikes and cars on eBay sight unseen so who knows . Me? I gotta ride it before I buy it.

Good luck with the sale!
              ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

take their licence, and as much money as they'll give you.
                or if they'll hand you your asking price till they get back let em
                Live and Lean.
                When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
                  take their licence, and as much money as they'll give you.
                  or if they'll hand you your asking price till they get back let em
                  that is basically what I said by selling it to them. It is the same as having the money as a "damage deposit".

For the record, I have never test rode a bike before buying it. I start it up and rev up the engine. Not just one rev....but like 7 or 8 in a row....rev, slack, rev, slack, rev, slack....etc, etc. You can spot bad rings easily this way.
                  If the motor sounds good, the rest is pretty visual, except for the tranny. And I always let the seller know that I will be right back if I find a problem with that.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    My suggestion.....tell the buyer that you will "garantee" the bike for 30 minutes. Meaning he buys it, then has 30 minutes to return with it if for some reason he is not happy with it, where as you will refund his money if he has a legitimate reason for returning it. Beating the crap out of it and coming back complaining it is not powerful enough is not a legitimate reason.
                    I like that logic.

I've always required an MC driver's license (which I photocopy -- they can take the photocopy on their ride) and either proof of insurance for a bike plus $1k cash deposit, or (if no insurance) full cash deposit of what I'm asking. Otherwise, I'll be happy to take them for a ride on it, but won't let them take it away...

On the other hand, I've never bought an used bike without taking it for a test ride; there's too many factors at hand on a bike I just met for me to decide if I want it based solely on what it looks/sounds like sitting in the parking lot.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i bought my bike sight unseen... then again I got it from a pretty good friend and he was very stright up with the "issues" the bike had and the price was VERY right for me...

however i don't know how i'd go about selling w/ the test ride.. so many variables

Comment

Working...
                      X