X

Why lying is bad...now with photos!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why lying is bad...now with photos!

At the beginning of the week I put some Pilot Powers on with plans to head to Deal's Gap to meet up with Ron and some of his buddies for a couple of says of riding. I'd only made one trip to work and home with the new tires before riding from Charlotte to the Gap. Fresh rubber -- woo hoo!

On the way to the Gap I mostly slabbed it to arrive at noonish. It was quiet and I made several passes, then sat at an overlook and watched to see if maybe I would see Ron fly by at some point. Once bored with that, I made a few more passes. I have come to the conclusion that Pilot Powers are faster than Katanas. I was dragging knees, pegs, my mid-pipe, everything (yes, everything -- you'll see).

After a while, I was getting tired so I decided to retire to my parents' home in Bryson City. I got up early in the AM to head back to the CROT in hopes that Ron would keep with his Rally routine and make some Dragon runs early on in the day. Viola! At around 8, he and Ryan pulled in. Ron was on his new-to-him SV650 and Ryan on his 600RR. After some talking in the parking lot, we had breakfast and geared up to have some fun.

We rode like banshees -- they moreso than I, but I didn't lose sight of them immediately, as I would have expected. Boy, these tires are great! I am finding out that I was falling in love with an evil woman.

I pulled off and shot some Killboy style photos of Ron and Ryan (photos to come). Then we headed back toward the store to wait on Ron's buddy, Tim. Tim rides an Apillia Futura nearly identical to Ron's, sans some rash. After Tim ate and Ron and I hydrated, we loaded up again and headed up the Gap. Ron led, I followed him and Tim behind me.

Ron was doing his usual, I was hanging in there and Tim was watching from the back. We'd passed some slower riders so we were back to being pretty close to each other. Here's where the "fun" began.

I was setting up for a tight left out of a right and went to downshift and got (what I was told later) a false neutral. All I know was the bike made an awful clackiting sound, wasn't slowing down and was heading into the corner hot, hot, hot! Oh boy! I grabbed all the brake I could before leaving the pavement and
    tucked the bike nicely to the ground on some loamy gravel. Ugh....here we go again.

Damage report: Scratched fairing. Scratched engine cover. That's it. MAN these bikes are tough. Gear gear gear!!! I have a lightly bruised shoulder and dirty, lightly scratched leather. My helmet is dinged up a bit, but buffable.

We got me dusted off, the bike started again and set sail northbound. Same order. Ron disappeared leaving Tim and I to fend for ourselves. I was determined not to let the get-off spook me so I was pushing it just as I was before it, paying closer attention to my shifting this time. I glanced back in my mirror after coming out of a left-hander to see the red Aprillia on its side and Tim sliding off into the ditch with it. DAMNIT! Not a minute after my get-off, Tim goes down. Good Lord. We must've looked like some real dummies to the people we'd passed after my crash and then we picking up another bike.

Tim was fine save some rashed up leather (see the gear theme?). He'd have been pretty messed up without it as he did do some sliding on pavement before resting in the ditch. His Aprillia was rashed up, broken mirror, slightly bent shift lever and clutch lever but cranked right up after the tip-switch reset.

Oy vey, what a day.

Moral of the story:
    A. gear helps prevent minor get-offs from ruining your day.
    B. lying is BAD and your transmission shouldn't do it.
    C. Pilot Powers are evil -- but in a good way....sort of like a really hot chick that makes you lose your mind. You spend money on her but she just messes your stuff up.

Waiting at the CROT:

Ron carving a line:

Ryan zipping by:

Probably my favorite of Ron:

Ron and Ryan a little close to center:

My run off, not my skid marks:

All you can do is laugh at this point:

Here's the damage:

Tim models his fresh rash:

Shaved a little peg feeler off:

Shaved a little mid-pipe, too:

Yikes, sounds like quite the day. Glad everybody was smart enough to be wearing full gear and came out ok.

Can't wait for the pics.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

Re: Why lying is bad...

Originally posted by SKNL2
      LOL I was wondering who was lied to lol

What were you running before the pilots?
      Kyle

Comment

Unfortunate, yet entertaining gap story. You are making me rethink getting Pilot Powers before heading back to the gap next may. Gear is as always essential for the gap and glad to see it served its purpose for you(unfortunately). Now, the real question is; Is there a fix for the false neutral besides shifting harder? This is about the fourth post I've seen, plus my own experience with this problem, seems to plague everyone.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Haha. Good Lord, people, drive safe! Glad you guys are ok, but, sheesh...

Comment

Pilot Powers are great tires. I switched from Powers to Roads for all the miles I put on my bike, but I think I might just say to hell with it and switch back on my next set. Glad you came back in good working condition.

Comment

Re: Why lying is bad...

Originally posted by woobie
              Originally posted by SKNL2
              LOL I was wondering who was lied to lol

What were you running before the pilots?
              I was running Michelin Pilot Roads before. Great tires. Got around 9000 miles out of them and they corner very well. They're just a lot more linear. The Pilot Powers have a quicker turn in and even though I was on the edge of the tire, I felt no plowing. Also, one day and a half trip to the mountains has me very concerned about tire life.

Comment

you'll probably get about half what you got out of the Roads

Comment

LOOKIN GOOD MEN ! Sry to hear ur minor mishap and rashed up bike and gear, glad you are ok. Good story and memorys....sweet
                  sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

I hate Ron...look at where his head is LOOKING!

Great story...glad everyone faired pretty well!

Comment

Looks like a great day even with the get-off's.

Aren't you SUPPOSED to look on around the corner Range??

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I hate Ron...look at where his head is LOOKING!
                        Dude, I am just looking for the fastest way out of the corner!

Great pics Mark! Tim made it home in one piece after hanging out with us and eating dinner.

Great pics! What do I need to do to get full res copies?

Mark, you know that feeling when one minute something is there, and the next it's gone? You KNOW there is something wrong. THat is exactly what happend when you disappeared. I was like, "Oh crap!".

I am just glad you are ok bud.
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Wow, now I know how crappy of a rider I really am. no way I could run those lines
                          Live and Lean.
                          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                          Romans 3:23

Comment

I should also say that I got to meet Steve of Squidbusters today also! That was pretty cool!
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Damn , looks like a good time . Of course , I'd NEVER be able to keep up , though .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X