X

Hauling your bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WildKat
    Make also if u do buy new tie down straps, to get the ratchet type of straps and get the highest test strength you can. I was going to go w/ 600lb test but thought better of it and went for the 1000lb test instead just to be safe.

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON STRAPS! It's much better to spend an extra $50 on straps than it is repairing plastics or bent levers.

Also, watch out for imitation Canyon Dancers. I bought a set of no-name Canyon Dancer-esque tie downs.... looked identical to the set that Range bought and seemed just as sturdy.... WRONG. They lasted the trip to the GAP just fine, but a few weeks after I trailered my bike over some bumpy French roads and 4 of the 5 "heavy duty" stitches on the right ride broke. The bike was being held up on the right side by ONE "heavy duty" stitch.
    Luckily I pulled over to check the straps when I did or else the bike would've been on it's side very shortly.
    This is also why I will now always use a Canyon Dancer AND a separate tie-down around the triple tree.

Comment

I will be bringing the bike up the same way I did last year. Like this......

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
        I will be bringing the bike up the same way I did last year. Like this......
        Nice!

I wanted to get an enclosed, but got one of these instead.

Comment

You can also rent trailers from Uhaul.. they have 1 bike official motorcycle trailers or the 5x9 open trailers with rails and a swing up gate to rent by the day or week.

We got one last year, it looked like a POS but it was sturdy and got the job done. Hoping to buy one this year before we head down so we dont have to rent it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
            Originally posted by tzortn
            In case you wanted to know how Range and Junior got their bikes in Range's truck check out this pic.

Damn...my ass looks great! Oh wait, that's Freckles.
            *whew* thanks for clearing that up. That could have gotten embarassing later on ..
            TiM

Comment

Originally posted by sexwax
              Bring extra tiedown straps. You will lose some driving through the gap (snap!) no matter how slow you go.
              I agree that it's always a good idea to bring spares...however it is NOT normal to loose straps or have them break even on the gap. If that's happening, you're doing something wrong.
              I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
                Originally posted by sexwax
                Bring extra tiedown straps. You will lose some driving through the gap (snap!) no matter how slow you go.
                I agree that it's always a good idea to bring spares...however it is NOT normal to loose straps or have them break even on the gap. If that's happening, you're doing something wrong.
                I agree...it takes a LONG time to properly tie a bike down....and watch where it contacts a frame of the trailer....we checked EVERY stop and ours made it down and back without any fanfare...BOTH years.

Comment

This biggest tip I can offer in regards to not loosing your straps is to use carabeaners. $3-$4 at your local climbing store can save you a lot of trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                    Originally posted by Wingspan
                    I agree...it takes a LONG time to properly tie a bike down....and watch where it contacts a frame of the trailer....we checked EVERY stop and ours made it down and back without any fanfare...BOTH years.
                    Note to self: Pass on to Haggisman that it has been implied that he doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to bikes. Watch fireworks between canadians ensue.
                    TiM

Comment

If you do find yourself using extra straps and they happen to come close to touching your fairings.. just take some nice soft cloth or a soft towel and tie it around the straps..that way if it does rub, you wont rub off paint from your plastics.

Comment

AHF...what a GREAT idea!

and Haggisman tied the bikes down by himself in Ottawa (loses 1 GSXR)

...after WE help in Deals Gap....NOTHING falls off

Comment

oh yeah....when you tie a bike down...don't just let the extra length dangle....

Comment

AHF that is a great idea.

I would make one warning to people heading out to to buy carabiners. Make sure that you buy "load rated" carbiners. Some of them are just for lightweight/novelty applications.

Comment

remember that you need to UNLOAD your bikes too

there is a variable height ramp at CROT...thats what we did.

Tzortn had a better way for his and Troys bikes!

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                                AHF that is a great idea.

I would make one warning to people heading out to to buy carabiners. Make sure that you buy "load rated" carbiners. Some of them are just for lightweight/novelty applications.
                                alot of the better ones you can find now even have the max weight they can support or a disclaimer written write on the package or carbiners itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X