X

Rescued a Kat Today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued a Kat Today

So two years ago I bought a 1993 Katana 600 and loved it (avatar pic). Used it as my only daily for the summer and put about 4000 miles on it. Then came fall and I needed some cash for a new car (New England winter on two wheels would have been eh...challenging) so I sold her for about twice what I paid and got myself a cage. Last summer I picked up a horrifically ugly, alligator skin themed 1998 Kawisaki zx6-e and beautified it. I really liked that bike, probably because of how similar it was to the Kat, being a sport tourer and all. Ended up getting a really good offer on the Zx mid summer and we parted ways. Now fast forward 7 months and as the weather is getting nicer, that urge has been creeping up again and I found myself scouring craigslist for a deal.

Ending up finding this guy...who...lets just say he had a lot of stuff. I'm talking like 10 cars in his backyard all at various stages of backyard racecar-ification. Apparently he bought the bike from a friend two years ago and just never learned how to ride. His ad said the bike was in decent condition but cosmetically wasn't the prettiest. A bit of an understatement if you ask me. The poor kat has been sitting in his backyard under a tarp for the last two years. The left side front fairings are cracked in a million pieces because apparently kickstands and mud don't mix well. Other than that and being FILTHY, there surprisingly isn't too too much external damage. Luckily the guy had the battery in his shed on a tender and had said that he bought it brand new right after he bought the bike. We hooked it up, I sat on the bike and after about 10 seconds of cranking she miraculously fired right up and started purring like a kitten with that stock exhaust sound only a mother could love. I predict a carb clean in the near future...

Five Benjamin Franklins later and she was on the trailer coming back home. New proud owner of a 2002 Katana 750 with 12,000 miles on it. I live at school and the bike is in the garage at home so pics and updates will come sporadically on the weekends that I decide to make the drive home. I feel like I adopted a sick orphan and its my duty to nurse it back to health. Can't wait to tear into it and get started, wish me luck
    Last edited by Flippacase; 05-25-2016, 10:41 PM.
    93 Katana 600
    98 ZX6

Best 'O Luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Not a bad deal!
        1993 Suzuki 750 Katana
        2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650
        2012 Ski Doo Summit SP 800 ETEC
        1958 Cessna 182 Skylane

Comment

Hey everyone so I'm on spring break this week and I finally got around to working on the Kat a little bit. I snapped some pics to show you what I'm working with.

Here she is the day I got her, the plastics were actually off when I brought it home because they're pretty destroyed, but I mocked them up just to get a feeling for how she'll look.

The bike didn't really run when I picked it up so first thing's first, let's get those carbs cleaned!

These things were NASTY. Poor neglected Kat

Plan for tomorrow is to reassemble everything and clean out the gas tank before putting the carbs back on. I did have a few screws strip during the process today but I was able to get them out with vice grips. Any advice on where to get replacements? Worst case scenario I could always cut some slits for a flathead screwdriver but obviously I want to get things done right.
          93 Katana 600
          98 ZX6

Comment

They stripped, at least in part, because they are JIS screws, not standard Phillips screws. Look the same to the eye but the tool shape is slightly different.

When I did my tear down and cleaning I replaced all the screws I could (carbs to racks, boots to engine, float bowl, vacuum caps, etc.) with metric stainless screws from a local hardware store.

Comment

Arsenic sells the screws for carbs. If you go the local hardware route, Id recommend Allen heads, not Philips. Good luck!
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Wow good to know, thanks guys! Another quick question, I'm planning on reusing the float bowl gaskets since they seem to be perfectly in tact. Any tips on how to get them to seat properly?
                93 Katana 600
                98 ZX6

Comment

Originally posted by Flippacase View Post
                  Any tips on how to get them to seat properly?
                  Hate to say it but get new ones to seal right.
                  Honestly its worth the money.

Comment

Wow! And I thought that mine were dirty when I got it...
                    1993 Suzuki 750 Katana
                    2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650
                    2012 Ski Doo Summit SP 800 ETEC
                    1958 Cessna 182 Skylane

Comment

Hey everyone so I got the carbs all cleaned and back on the bike. I charged the battery, put some gas in the freshly cleaned tank and she started right up. The stock exhaust that came on bike was in terrible shape. It was rusty, dented, and had about 30 acorns living inside it LOL.

I swapped it out for a carbon fiber slip on that one of my buddies had laying around. Looks pretty good but sounds even better A little tinkering with the carbs and we'll be golden

The plan now is to order some fairings and get this thing looking pretty again! I'm about halfway done with the dents in the tank, I'll post some pics tomorrow but man am I getting sick of bondo
                      93 Katana 600
                      98 ZX6

Comment

That's interesting......
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I took the stock exhaust off and the thing sounded like a maraca lol
                          93 Katana 600
                          98 ZX6

Comment

Anyone know what this plug goes to? I'm reassembling the bike and can't for the life of me figure out where it goes. All of the plastics were off the bike when I bought it so I'm kind of figuring it out as I go

93 Katana 600
                            98 ZX6

Comment

Not all plugs have a mate...don't stress over it.....
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X