X

Voltage regulator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a reliable solution to the overcharging issue

I found a solution to the overcharging issues with my (and likely most) pre (1992) Kat. The problem is that the alternator needs to see battery voltage to know when to shut off. Maybe a better way to say it is that the alternator voltage will be too high if return voltage is lower than the output (charging) voltage. The easiest, simplest way to fix this condition is to use a solenoid to deliver battery voltage to the field sensor wire (orange wire to alternator). This negates having to rewire the switch, loom, etc. just cut the orange wire coming from the loom to the alternator and use the loom side to trigger the solenoid and then feed the alternator with battery voltage from the switched side of the solenoid. This would have saved me a bunch of aggravation, money and time. My voltage is running between 14.6 and 14.7, it may be this high due to the "Ricks" voltage regulator I installed, not sure. For now it is fine and I can ride without killing the battery. I have more parts coming so I will play with it some more when I have time to see if I can get the voltage to run no more than the specified 14.5. I have a Shorai battery to replace the lead acid battery but, they say 14.7 is max and that is where I'm at, so until I can talk with them and Ricks I will stick to the lead acid battery. The ricks regulator has instructions that say the resistance between the two slip rings on the alternator needs to be between 3.5 and 4.5 ohms, mine is 6 ohms? Has anyone ever tested theirs and if so what was it? I have attached a couple of photos of the solenoid setup.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
      It's a good idea not to trust the crimp only wire connectors. I prefer to solder the connector onto the wire, and then use some shrink tube to protect/insulate the connection. That way it reduces any worry about the wire pulling free from the connector. Anal and putzy? yes, but worth the peace of mind IMHO.
      hey i always solder and heat shrink, its cheap and it wont fail.
      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
      2004 marauder 800

Comment

Shorai Battery installed!

I called Shorai and spoke with Shaun (tech guy) and he said that voltages up to 15v is ok, so my system running around 14.7v is fine. I now have the new Shorai batt installed and am happy with the results. This batt really turns the motor over with it's 210 cranking amps. The new battery is much smaller and lighter than the stocker, the battery comes with dense adhesive backed foam to help fit the smaller size into the stock battery box. I supplemented that foam with some other dense packing foam I had. The new battery is very light weight! Went for a test ride with my new Cortech luggage which fits perfectly. Here are a couple photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

I just got a call from a guy saying that the problem might actually be with the igniter under the rear seat because it acts like a voltage regulator too. If it goes bad then it runs the voltage up too. Can anyone else confirm this or has tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by Marty78 View Post
            I just got a call from a guy saying that the problem might actually be with the igniter under the rear seat because it acts like a voltage regulator too. If it goes bad then it runs the voltage up too. Can anyone else confirm this or has tried this?
            I can't see how it would be related.

Comment

What?

Originally posted by newmotorguy View Post
              I can't see how it would be related.
              This.

Comment

that's what i said too that's why i'm askin

Comment

Now, if the voltage was too high, I could see it damaging the ignitor. But that's about the only relation there.

Comment

That's sofa king we todd did.....
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

lol yes yes it is but i'm still down to 15.2v so i'm getting there

Comment

I think you may want to consider replacing some wires like newmotorguy did. It can't hurt anything, that's for sure.

Comment

yeah that's what i'm workin on doin. gonna start with the battery cables and the wire from the generator to the connector. also gonna replace the connectors from the factory style

Comment

yeah that's what i'm workin on doin. gonna start with the battery cables and the wire from the generator to the connector. also gonna replace the connectors from the factory style
                            I would skip all of that and install a relay to get battery voltage back to the alternator's sensor wire. Cut the sensor wire and use the loom side to trigger the relay and then run battery voltage from the switched side of the relay to the alternator sensor wire (orange on my bike). I could have skipped all of the other wiring had I done this first. Turns out this is how my buddy's Harley is wired from the factory. I believe all of these kats have this issue to some extent and the Relay would be a sure way to resolve it. I have been on a couple long rides since doing this to mine and the voltage has remained at very acceptable (normal) levels. Now if you have broken or burnt wires and connectors that will need to be addressed. See the photos I posted earlier.

Comment

Over charging on a 1989 110 Kat.

If you have over-charging you need to check the orange wires that are spiced together just on the main harness side of the ignition switch plug. Three orange wires come together there with a crimp connector. I cut out the connector, the crimp and soldered these wired together (not one big blob of course). Charging volgage is a tad over 14.5 at the battery, all is well.

I don't see where to add pix, you need to cut back the wrap on the harness and your find white wrapping that is over the 3 orange wire crimp.

Comment

Originally posted by fiddlins_fun View Post
                                If you have over-charging you need to check the orange wires that are spiced together just on the main harness side of the ignition switch plug. Three orange wires come together there with a crimp connector. I cut out the connector, the crimp and soldered these wired together (not one big blob of course). Charging volgage is a tad over 14.5 at the battery, all is well.

I don't see where to add pix, you need to cut back the wrap on the harness and your find white wrapping that is over the 3 orange wire crimp.
                                you are about 5 years late on this one.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                                X