X

Engine idle speed adjustment knob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine idle speed adjustment knob

Just brought home my "new" (used) Kat 600. It's an 03 with 1725 miles. Probably needs carb cleaning as it shudders a little upon take off. Idle is only at barely 1000. He didn't have the owner's manual but I downloaded it from the PDF site...very helpful. My question: the idle adj. knob is very tight and feels like it has "spring resistance" to turning. I'm afraid to force turn it to set idle higher. Comments appreciated! Thanks!
    LMT

Make sure your not turning it the wrong way......it is probably set at its lowest setting right now.
    And it shouldnt be too hard to turn.

Comment

It seems tight either way so I stopped trying. The manual doesn't say which way to turn it faster (to higher idle that is).
      LMT

Comment

mine idles at 1000 and will idle all day at it, turn clockwise for higher idle I think, but not 100% on that one
        Live and Lean.
        When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
        "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
        Romans 3:23

Comment

Clockwise to raise idle, counterclockwise to lower it. If it seems a bit hard to turn it's because it IS spring tension on it.
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
            Clockwise to raise idle, counterclockwise to lower it. If it seems a bit hard to turn it's because it IS spring tension on it.
            +1

The spring is there to keep it from changing settings due to engine vibration.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Or it's binding . The CAN go bad , just like any other cable . The sheath could melt from resting on the engine (misrouted) . Just a thought .... Or , it's already turned all the way in ,and the carbs have so much crap in them it ain't acting like it SHOULD .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I thought the exact same thing, I thought I was going to break it but keep turning it you'll feel it 'turn over' past the tension.

Comment

Also: Most of these have a phillipshead shape in the center so you can use more force using a tool... Might want to try that.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X