Some observations from someone back on a bike after 15 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some observations from someone back on a bike after 15 years

Hello all.

This is going to be long, and a lot of people may consider it pointless. Consider yourself warned.

There are a number of things I've been wanting to post about, and since I can't really find a decent subject for each of them and make them individual posts, I've decided to post one long one to cover all my bases.

I first got on a motorcycle at the age of 4 years, a Suzuki JR50. A year later, my dad saw fit to move me up to the RM50 and I started racing at the local moto-x track.

I raced the RM50, moved up to the RM80, and raced/stunted/trail rode until I was 12, when we moved to a rural area with no moto-x venue. Somewhere about that time frame, my mom decided that the bikes were too dangerous, and my bike as well as my dad's got sold.

In high school, I had several friends who had motorcycles (street bikes) and I rode them quite a bit. One friend had a 1985 V30 Magna (500CC) that I fell in love with. I think it was my moto-x riding and the love affair with the 500CC Magna that gave me my fondness of small displacement bikes.

When I graduated high school, I joined the U.S. Air Force, and as soon as I arrived at my first permanent duty station, I went down to the local Suzuki dealership and purchased myself a beater bike. A used but low miles (2000 miles) GS500E. I have to say that in terms of straight line performance, the GS500 didn't hold a candle to the 500CC Magna. But I liked the way it rode, the way it handled, and I found I was far more comfortable in a sportbike-ish riding posture. I say sportbike-ish because the GS500E is as close to a standard as one could get in 1990, it just had looks that were reminiscent of sport bikes. What it wasn't was a leaned-back, arms out like some sort of monkey god, cruiser. And I liked it.

(On a side note, the GS500 still has my vote for the ultimate learner's bike for anyone not interested in being squidly: it's decently powerful, fairly low maintenance (shim/bucket in line twin), and before Suzuki saw fit to glue on what I consider to be a mistmatched fairing, it had great looks and style; it handles like a dream and it's comfortable enough for all day riding, with phenomenal gas mileage. But I digress, if such a thing is possible in this post.)

(Oh, one other thing about the GS500. I new it was time for a new chain, and I decided to perform an experiment. I had heard all my life that the chain shouldn't be adjusted too tight. Well, I wanted to see what would happen. So, I clamped her down. Virtually no play at all left when I was done. I mean tight like a guitar string. Then I went for a ride. To my surprise, it felt like someone had pulled a spark plug out of my bike. The effect on the performance of the bike was incredible. After I rode a bit, the effect seemed to decrease and I had some power back. Then I parked it after about a two hour ride and checked my chain. It was as loose as it had been when I went to tighten it earlier that day. I checked and my chain adjusters were right where I had left them. It just stretched it that much, that quickly. I can't say if it would have done the same thing with a new chain, but from that point on, I knew I didn't want to try that experiment on a new chain/sprocket set. Long story short, DON'T over-tighten your chain.)

Anyway, let's try and get this thing wrapped up, shall we?

This spring, 2006, I decided that it was time to get back on a bike. Now, when I had my GS500, I had a riding partner who had a 1991 Katana 600. I rode that Katana a few times, and really, really liked it. So I started researching the Katana, since I knew that whatever I bought had to be a Suzuki, and I didn't figure I was really the GSX-R 600 type. Well, when I read the post here that Suzuki was discontinuing the Katana, that made up my mind. Had to grab one while I could. So I bought my 2006 Katana 600. MAN do I love this bike. It took me a while to work out certain comfort related things, but now that I have, I can cruise all day with little to no discomfort. Longest so far was 9 hours in the saddle with about a five minute break every hour or so. I've read some posts here that gave differnt straight line performance specs that I'm about to give, so I think that maybe I got a good one? (It has long been my theory that in any assembly-line vehicle, once in a while all the right parts/tolerances get put together and some are faster than others.) Anyway, I posted an 11.1 @ 113. My top speed is an indicated 142. (142ish, I suppose, it's about where I figure 142 would be if it was graduated in 1mph increments, anyway, it's just past 140.)

I love motorcycles, I love Suzuki, and I love my Katana.

If you've read this far, I appologize for the pointless post and ask your forgiveness. I also extends my thanks for sticking it out to the end. Just had some things I needed to air, to some people (fellow bikers) who might understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks, and stay safe out there.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Long? Buddy you haven't read any of Mojoe's, Cyber's, or mine yet!

Not pointless. Understand exactly what you're feeling. Welcome back to the addiction. :P
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks. It's good to be back, and to have found this forum of people who know where I'm coming from.
      When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

Great post... especially liked the simple lesson on why to keep the chain on the loose side.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sixpoint: Long? GHEEzzzzzzz........THIS http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23982 is long.!

You gotta go some to hit long around here!

WELCOME BACK 8) I too know exactly what you mean. I'm still fortunate to be riding after all these years! Got my first legal MC license in 1972, as soon as I could!
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Not naming any dates or ages, but I love riding motorcycles after having not ridden them for 12 years of my life. Now I've been on for 5 and love it
            Live and Lean.
            When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
            "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
            Romans 3:23

Comment

Working...
            X