X

Helmet life span?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet life span?

I have a really nice Bieffe full face helmet I unpacked from a box last night. Forgot all about it. Helmet is about 12 years old. Never hit the ground.

I've heard from folks that the foam used in helmets starts to break down and you only get about 5 good years out of them before you should replace the helmet. Any thoughts to this?
    ~Austin
    2006 Katana 600 - Sold
    2008 CBR600RR - New Toy

I'd just put it on a shelf and admire it from there. Even the cheapest replacement helmet today will be technologically better than a 12 year old one. I'm sure after all that time some deterioration has happened as well, even if you can't see it. Just my 2 cents.
    Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
    Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

time for a new helmet I would not trust your helmet in a crash
      Last edited by JBLUE; 05-02-2008, 07:28 PM.
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I wouldn't use that helmet either.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

i would recommend a new one. try not to use it after 3yrs or so
          92 GSXF750
          83 nighthawk

Comment

It's only good for a few years and/or one drop or fall.

12 years is just too old. The helmets today are a lot nicer and lighter as well as cool a lot better than the old stuff
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

you could always use it to ride a 50, but i'd recoomend i new helmet aswell

Comment

I think 5 years would be a little too short, I have a helmet that is 5 and is in great shape.

But you can always talk to a dealer or email a helmet manufacturer to see what they recommend for helmet lifespan.

Comment

You can get a cheap one from newenough.com

Why risk your head in a crash on a helmet that may no longer be fully functional?
                  -
                  -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Every three years dude...The EPS foam begins to break down. Time, cleaners, environmental factors, drops, bumps, kids, all play a role in the longevity of a helmet so be safe and get a new helmet every three years whether you think you need it or not. A nice HJC CL-15 costs less than $100 on e-bay. Buy one...

Comment

Guys.... I have a helmet I wear.... Its not like I am wearing this one...

Thanks for all the advice, I was looking for a lifespan, not "should I still be wearing this helmet"

Like I said.. I dug it out, was wondering if it was still safe. Now I know
                      ~Austin
                      2006 Katana 600 - Sold
                      2008 CBR600RR - New Toy

Comment

I would normally say no, but if it was sitting in a box, that means minimal air and ozone exposure, no UV exposure, Hell, I would say it is good to go, but what do I know. I do have the distinct feeling that the first time you put it on all the foam padding bits are going to desintegrate, then you will spend the next couple days trying to get it all out of your hair.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                        X