X

Anyone had to sell their bike cause it's to heavy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had to sell their bike cause it's to heavy

I think that's what I might need to do, the guy I got it from was about my height (5 11) but heavy I'm not and also not a strong as I was a few years ago and struggling moving it about. Christ I can't even get it on the centre stand unless there's a bit of wood under the wheel to give a slight "lift" so the stand doesn't have much to do.

I think I made a mistake getting this, bolllox

Are you looking to replace the Kat with something lighter?
    Kat is a bit heavy, but hides its weight pretty well when riding.

Moving it by hand or parking it on centerstand does require some strength, but so does most other bikes with similar performance capabilities.

Personally, I just try to move it with engine power as much as I can, use the terrain variance to your advantage when you have to move it with your own strength. Plan ahead before you move.

Comment

A paddock stand is pretty easy to use for lifting the wheels off the ground. Might be worth a try rather than tiring yourself out with the centre stand.
      GSX750F 2006

Comment

I have no problems @ 5'9" 140#. It's mostly technique not strength. Moving it around is easier when the bike is kept as upright as possible, leaning it makes it harder or sit on it when you need to move it.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I had a old 82 honda silverwing that was way to heavy for me thats why i sold it. It was a job just getting it out of the garage. Honestly though what i learned is if the bikes too heavy for you its not all that safe. Just roll the bike up with 1st gear if its real heavy thats what i did with the 82 honda i hated that thing though.

Comment

He's got an 1100 so it's even heavier than the 600/750s.
            Technique definitely matters for putting in up on the centerstand, and my 1100 is significantly harder than my 600. The 600 just pops up. Using the same points on the 1100 it's much harder. Still doable. It's entirely possible there's a different point for lifting up that I need to use and I just haven't found it yet. Seeing. AS mine is still in the rebuild stage...it's probably that..

The 1100 is supposed to feel very heavy at slow speeds also, but swapping to 17" rims is supposed to greatly help with that.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

+1 Technique helps alot for things like the center stand, but its not always the answer. One day your probably going to find yourself in a parking lot, on a hill trying to back up and risk dropping your bike. Especially if you cant touch flat footed. Being maxed out on tippy toes is dangerous. If you are stretching to touch the ground to keep the bike upright, maybe you should look into lowering it so you can get a better footing. It helps with leverage, and your less likely to topple over and risk damaging your bike (or your ego). I'm on the high side of 6ft and with my boots on, probably 6'-1 or 6'-2 and my front is lowered 3/4 in but the rear is lifted 2 1/2 or so inches. Some of my smaller friends can literally sit on my bike and not touch the ground (looks kinda funny too).

Another scenario to contemplate, is when you are off the bike pushing, can you do it? Does it try to pull you over? What happens if you blow a fuse, or something happens on the road. Are you confident you can get it pushed to a safe place ie: up and down hills, in gravel on the shoulder of the road.
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Going off Maniac, if you physically cannot handle the bike, it's dangerous. Granted, I have been riding big displacement bikes since I was a teen, so it's all the same to me. However, it almost sounds like this is your first bike, which is kinda silly being so big and heavy. Mentally, if you feel you cannot handle this bike, it's even more dangerous, as your confidence level will be next to nothing, and you will not know what to do when the inevitable little old lady pulls out in-front of you.

About ten years ago while out in San Diego, I went through the motorcycle course for the California Highway Patrol. We started-out on KZ1000's, progressed to their BMW's, and finished on their Harley's. You want to talk about big bikes to move around in a little area! Anywho, the last part of the course was laying down the bikes @ 30, 60, and 90 mph in full leathers. You wanna talk about heat! It was crazy, but it taught you how to react the proper way when faced with a potential collision.

Some people cannot mentally handle a big bike. That's okay. They make smaller bikes with even-more ponies than a 20+ year-old bike.
                '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  Going off Maniac, if you physically cannot handle the bike, it's dangerous. Granted, I have been riding big displacement bikes since I was a teen, so it's all the same to me. However, it almost sounds like this is your first bike, which is kinda silly being so big and heavy. Mentally, if you feel you cannot handle this bike, it's even more dangerous, as your confidence level will be next to nothing, and you will not know what to do when the inevitable little old lady pulls out in-front of you.

About ten years ago while out in San Diego, I went through the motorcycle course for the California Highway Patrol. We started-out on KZ1000's, progressed to their BMW's, and finished on their Harley's. You want to talk about big bikes to move around in a little area! Anywho, the last part of the course was laying down the bikes @ 30, 60, and 90 mph in full leathers. You wanna talk about heat! It was crazy, but it taught you how to react the proper way when faced with a potential collision.

Some people cannot mentally handle a big bike. That's okay. They make smaller bikes with even-more ponies than a 20+ year-old bike.

Ian...I've had bikes for over 35yrs and 1000-1200s for the last 15 but in the last yr I feel I'm not just a strong as I used to be and also lost some weight. My last "decent" bike as I'd call it was a mk1 bandit 12 about a yr and half ago but sold it as I was fed up with a lot of things (treated for depression).

About 6 months ago got an old 650 traily and thought this is ok but not what I'm used to or like then thought I'd get another "big" one again hence this. Now this is gonna sound daft but the bandit 12 felt a bit lighter and easier to handle/manage than this

So no it's not my first "big bike" not by a long shot and yes I get both feet on the deck easy (I had a 25mm jack up on the bandit which I liked and if I'm keeping this would like to do the same if pos)

It's just me getting condfidence back

Comment

They get heavy for sure. I have a 82 GS1100G, only 570lb. Punched a hole through the sole of my slippers once trying to put that on a center stand. Then I would put a piece of wood the size of my sole under my foot before I pushed down on the c-s.
                    Now I just be sure to put on some work boots first.
                    My favorite bike so not gonna sell.
                    Best 'o luck.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                      They get heavy for sure. I have a 82 GS1100G, only 570lb. Punched a hole through the sole of my slippers once trying to put that on a center stand. Then I would put a piece of wood the size of my sole under my foot before I pushed down on the c-s.
                      Now I just be sure to put on some work boots first.
                      My favorite bike so not gonna sell.
                      Best 'o luck.
                      Yeah, these Kat's feel like my little CB's going on a centerstand compared to my old XS/GS bikes going on it. Again, if you feel that the bike is too heavy, go to something you're comfortable riding.
                      '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

May I suggest strength training? A series of 5x5 core strength exercises (Squat, dead lift, barbel row, bench press and overhead press) I think it will do wonders for your strength and your moral

Michel
                        2006 Katana 750

Comment

I used to do some weights years ago but my back's not what it was, not because of that but a bike smash from the early 80s...now everything's creeping up, oh well getting aulder

Comment

While I do feel the weight of the Kat while pushing it around it isn't a big deal to me. As others have said, I generally move it while sitting on it. Keeps the weight under control and just feels right.

That said, I'm quite certain I have a large advantage over most. 6'5" and a large frame makes the bike feel small at times even with the B12 shock on it (raised the rear 2.5")....

Comment

Originally posted by Stu9 View Post
                              I used to do some weights years ago but my back's not what it was, not because of that but a bike smash from the early 80s...now everything's creeping up, oh well getting aulder
                              Hey Stu- I'm curious what other bikes catch your fancy? It's a rare thing to find a sport bike that has a center stand built-in, so that's something you'll need to consider come maintenance. The FZ's are fun bikes, along-with the GS550's. I think you should find a bike you're comfortable with and enjoy. No shame or embarrassment allowed.
                              '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Working...
                              X