No announcement yet.
X

Tell me what gear I want...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where in South Jersey you are, but Revzilla has a pretty big store at the Shipyard in Philly. I actually haven't been there since they moved from the ghetto...
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by default View Post
      I live in the upper half of the UK....
      You just reminded me of The Long Way Down & The Long Way Around I enjoyed watching them (NetFlix) Being from up there, you probably think they are a couple of twats...

I won't ride if it is raining. Getting caught in a sudden Summer storm or downpour is almost unavoidable...so I check the weather on a regular basis. I'll be stowing some light rain gear for sure in the tank bag or under the seat. The KLR is only good for a few hours because the seat is so narrow it hurts my sitting bones. The Kat on the other hand is pretty comfy - so I'll be venturing beyond my usual 75 mile radius.

Arai helmets seem to fit my big head better than Shoei or HJC ones do. I drop $500-600 every 5 years or so on a new one. Airflow is pretty good...the new one has a double plexi layer to minimize fogging - although that was never really a problem for me - but my sunglasses DO get fogged up pretty easily. It's an excuse to move around at stoplights anyway & crack the visor.

I always thought that heated grips + gear was for pansies...but now that I am getting older & Arthur-itis is setting in...bring it on Jabroni! I think I'd prefer heated clothing over heated grips & seat. My 25yr old seat is perfect and I don't want to monkey with the grips. Heated gloves might be a better setup for me...although reading up on some of the heated gear specs, it looks like I'd be pulling over 200 watts of power on full tilt high power with electric gloves, pants, jacket. I'll have to run some numbers and see what the old girl can handle with high beam on...

I wish that the Barkbusters wouldn't look queer on the Kat because they sure are nice for keeping the wind off of your hands on the KLR. Not a fan of a mitten pouch that goes over the controls either...seems dangerous.

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Not sure where in South Jersey you are, but Revzilla has a pretty big store at the Shipyard in Philly.
      Oh really? I'll have to shoot up there and check it out. They have stores now @ the ship yard?

I used to live up that way. Now I live around the corner from the Motorsport Park. I'm sure I'll link up with some of you PA peeps in the spring for a ride.
      Last edited by RobertTravis; 11-10-2014, 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

They have a lot of things at the ship yard now. Like the Tasty Baking Company and Urban Outfitters HQ
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post

I wish that the Barkbusters wouldn't look queer on the Kat because they sure are nice for keeping the wind off of your hands on the KLR. Not a fan of a mitten pouch that goes over the controls either...seems dangerous.
          I rode a V-strom a couple months back that had the hand guards - they did a really godo job of keeping my hands warm. I thought about trying to install/make a set up, but I cant really see a way to do that (with OEM 750 bar set up) and not have it interfere with the near full lock turns. I do a couple u-turns every time I commute (every day) so unless I swap to a 1 piece bar with some pull back, probably not happening. I was going to add some heated grips once it got cold this winter, but here in CA, I'm still waiting for it to show up. In my area we usually get the first frost mid October - still haven't cracked 40 this year...

And yeah I have to agree, those hippo hands or whatever those pouches are called - can't see that being a good idea. I like to hand signal in addition to using blinkers whenever possible - doesn't seem like it would be the easiest thing to get one's hand back into, especially with a glove on. Seems like something would snag/catch.

Personally, I've never felt the need for heated pants - keep the upper body warm, and I've always been good to go. Occasionally my feet get cold, but thicker socks... A Kat can handle a heated vest liner and gloves/liners easily. I don't have heated gloves, but when I got my jacket liner I made sure that wouldn't be a problem. Heck, my ex's Vespa was be able to handle gloves/jacket liner (barely). I know with Gerbing gear, you'd be looking at multiple controllers with 3 heated items, more than I'd personally want to deal with.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

And as far as spring rides go, you're more likely to find me at NJMP than on the street
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

You just reminded me of The Long Way Down & The Long Way Around I enjoyed watching them (NetFlix) Being from up there, you probably think they are a couple of twats...
              Absolutely not. McGregor is a friend of a friend, we met him and Boorman while they will still planning "Long way round", in the upper half of the UK as it happens.

The best thing you can do is keep your extremities warm, and on a bike that is warm feet, warm hands and warm head.

Warm feet you can do with good quality boots, and layers of socks. Hands were always my problem. I tried glove liners, heated glove liners and heated grips wired into the lighting loom. They kinda helped, but didnt solve the problem.

Until I read on here, about wiring the heated grips directly to the battery but incorporating a relay switch between the lighting loom so that the heated grips were only active while the lights were on, ie the ignition was live.

For the first 2 or 3 months my heated grips were wired directly to the lighting loom. On setting 5 (highest) it JUST combated the cold. Now they are HOT. I can't ride, even on the coldest of days on anything above setting 3.

Warm hands circulate warm blood back into the arms, warm arms circulate warm blood back into the central core. Its a strange thing, but if your hands are cold you are miserable, if your hands are warm you are not so miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by default View Post
                Warm hands circulate warm blood back into the arms, warm arms circulate warm blood back into the central core. Its a strange thing, but if your hands are cold you are miserable, if your hands are warm you are not so miserable.
                Roger that. I will probably be fiddling with different grips to find a set I am happy with. I put ProGrips (foam with indented perforations) on the KLR and they are pretty good. Way better than stock. The stock grips on the 1100 would stamp their impression on my hands. Not sure the ProGrips are right for the 1100 yet because it has a lot more power - but the bike was always a bit buzzy so it might take a few sets before I home in on the right set.

If I install heated grips - there's a good chance that I'll bork the element or something fooling with different grips...so I'll probably try the gloves first.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                And as far as spring rides go, you're more likely to find me at NJMP than on the street
                I am literally right around the corner...Do you race there? They have the MX course up now. Every weekend it's packed.

Comment

The Michelin Pilot Road series tires are rated down to 24 degrees f.
                  I changed over to standard bars and made my own bark buster type guards that I use atv soft hand guards. They work great and really don't look too bad. The foam pieces attach with velcro and work great. I tested them up to 100 mph with no problems.

Comment

Can't find specs on the Azaro for temperature. I've got an email into Avon about it. Auto-response said dude was on vacation until Thurs.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post

I am literally right around the corner...Do you race there? They have the MX course up now. Every weekend it's packed.
                      Just track days. You can see the guys on the jumps from the paddock @ tbolt
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Just an update...

Via email from Avon:

"The Azaro line was replaced by the Storm 3D X-M tires. Motorcycle tires are not rated per se for temperatures. That said the tires do work fine in 40 degree temperatures. The main thing is that all tires need time to warm up when the weather is colder. Just exercise caution until the tires have had to come up to temperature."

The bummer is that the only front/back combo that fits my 1100 is the Azaro...Guess I should order a set sooner than later.

Comment

I got in on this one late...but unless you want to look race-ready...and some might disagree, that's fine, I stayed pretty well protected in leather chaps (I know...not necessarily congruent with the sport bike crowd), a black leather jacket traded for mesh with armor in the hot months, heavy boots (yep, the HD type to look badass, I know) and supple and flexible leather gloves...and a cool black Shoei helmet with gold dragons.

But do wrap up in leather when you can. Road rash is unimaginably painful.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Dan,
                            I'd have to ask if you have actually crashed at speed in the chaps though. I'm concerned about what actual protection they would provide. Having gone sliding across asphalt myself my leathers probably saved me from a costly hospital bill back in July.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I high sided on I-20 on a hot afternoon at 68 mph in chaps, but I rolled and didn't slide. I see your point, Steve and you are right...forget the chaps unless you plan to roll, and you can't plan things like that. Again, excellent point, Steve.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

For me it's all about enough protection.

If I have an idea that I'm going to go out and maybe do something stupid, then I put the leathers on. I try to dress appropriately but I do wear textile on the street as well from time to time.
                                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X