X

Bad Fuel or Worse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Fuel or Worse?

So, I started the Kat as always this morning - partial choke, let run for a minute or so, and then closed the choke and proceeded to roll out of the driveway. I had about 2 gals of gas, and was heading to the station to fuel, when the bike started to sputter, lose power and stall. I pulled over, and tried to restart, but had to fully choke her to get her to run. When she did catch, she'd rev to 3.5-4K, and then drop to 1100, and ANY throttle input would cause her to die. I opened the tank, smelled okay, but could this just be a bad batch of fuel, or perhaps something more I should look for? Had to walk her home 1/2 miles, and take the ZZR. She's an 06 750 All stock except for an advancer with 67.5K on the odo. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter and when is the last time you had the carbs cleaned?

Comment

First thing I would check is fuel delivery. Kinked lines, clogged filter, etc...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Appreciate the responses - Bike is completely stock - inline filter has not been replaced, nor have carbs ever been removed/touched/rebuilt. Every 3K or so, the bike would get a 1/4 can of Seafoam. Valves adjusted every 15K, oil & filter every 3K. I will remove the tank tonight, drain some fuel into a glass jar, and check the fuel filter as well.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, was it sitting outside in the rain recently? I once had a tank that would leak water into the gas when it got rained on, and it did something similar after it sat outside in the rain for a couple of days.

Other than that, I would agree it's probably fuel delivery related. Did you try putting it on prime?
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

She is always outside - but perhaps time to also check the fuel filler seal as well as the drain hoses to make sure they aren't clogged, allowing water to enter. Interior of the tank is clean, but once I remove it, I'm hoping the issue will become apparent.

Comment

Most likely you need to replace fuel filter. I had that happen and when I went to start it again after it sitting a hour or so...... it had no problems.
              sigpic
              98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
              Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                Did you try putting it on prime?
                ?????
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yes, LnL, it will run on prime, only with choke on full, and will initially run up to 4K, then drop to 1100 rpm. Any throttle, or putting her in gear kills it instantly. She does refire, but absolutely no power at all.

Comment

Well that drops the petcock down on the list. If it wasn't opening with vacuum, it could cause everything that you stated, but putting it on prime should force it open and make it run fine.

In any case, it should be pretty easy to figure out when you get the tank off.

Comment

So, I took off the tank, drained some fuel into a jar - it separated into three layers, and then settled into two - appears my last fill up was mostly water with some gas throw in for "aromatics" Drained it out, refilled with fresh gas and then ran it for over half an hour to finally get the last remnants of water out of the carbs so she could rev normally.[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                      X