X

Good Bluetooth Helmets for music?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Bluetooth Helmets for music?

First off, I don't want to turn this into a safety discussion. I do not recommend new riders focus on anything but the bike and riding safely.

With that said, I've been looking into wired bluetooth headsets mainly for tunes while riding. I've really only seen O'Neil units up until now in my area, but reviews of them seem mixed. I'd like to take the plunge this season.

Does anyone currently use a wired helmet for tunes? Can you still hear your music clearly at speed? How much did you spend? What brand did you go with?

I would like to know as well. Every weekend when my band has practice I'm on a back road for about 97 straight miles, with nothing but the woods as a distraction. I saw a few helmets with the bluetooth already installed, but I already have a helmet, so thanks for asking this question, it will help us both out!
    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
    Chris
    graphic designer | drummer
    2002 Katana 600
    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

I have an aftermarket blinc 2 (or 3, i don't recall) on my helmet. I put it on a few months back. I've only tried it for a few rides, but it works well. Works best with ear plugs in.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by bvisser View Post
        First off, I don't want to turn this into a safety discussion. I do not recommend new riders focus on anything but the bike and riding safely.

With that said, I've been looking into wired bluetooth headsets mainly for tunes while riding. I've really only seen O'Neil units up until now in my area, but reviews of them seem mixed. I'd like to take the plunge this season.

Does anyone currently use a wired helmet for tunes? Can you still hear your music clearly at speed? How much did you spend? What brand did you go with?
        I went with the Vega V-tune instead of the O'Neil. It has surprisingly good sound up to 75 or so for the few times I have used it. They run small though and I have heard from folks with larger heads than mine that the fit is off on the larger ones.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

So are you looking for wired or bluetooth?

I have never used wired, but I do have a Scalarider G4 (Bluetooth) on my helmet. I bought the G4 Powerset last fall and my wife and I have put about 3,000 miles on ours. We absolutely love them. We mostly use them as intercoms to talk to eachother while riding (separate bikes) and have had good results talking clearly up to about 3/8 to 1/2 mile away from eachother. We can use them to listen to any audio on our phones (HTC Evo) to include phone calls, GPS directions, music, text messages read allowed, and once (on accident, not sure how to do it again) we even had a three way conversation with my G4 connected to my phone and her G4 connected to mine. Terrain and brick buildings getting it the way pretty much puts a stop to the intercom, but other than that the G4 lives up to everything Scalarider says it will.

(If you try someone else's and the audio does not sound loud and crystal clear then the speakers are probably not mounted in the right location for you, it takes a few tries to get it right, but when you do you will know it.)

Comment

I love my scalarider. The only drawback is I never have anyone to speak with!
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

scala here too , its awesome
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

My next purchase will be a Scala rider G4, Only heard good things about them.

They look like they will integrate perfectly with my Garmin and my Blackberry, which I use as a MP3 player.

My only concern is they don't seem to be stereo.
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Vega Vtune

I have the Vega Vtune. It has been a good helmet for me. The Vtune helmet has many great features; Built in flip down sun screen, removable liner for cleaning, it can be paired with another vtune helmet or receive/make phone calls. ( I really don't like phone calls while riding, but it gives my woman some peace of mind. If I am late she can check to see that everything is all right.) It works great with my Iphone, since apple updated the bluetooth software. You can easily change tracks, volume, or issue voice commands. I sometimes use the tom tom app while riding. I keep the phone in my pocket, (so no Im not looking at the screen) and listen to music. When a turn is coming up music fades and a voice command tells me what to do.
                  I have had one issue with the helmet. After three months the rubber gasket on the face shield tried to peel on me. Instead of dealing with a warranty process, ( did not want to lose riding time) I applied super glue to the problem. Now it is as good as new.
                  Badfaerie is right about sizing. I tried one on at a local shop that was labeled the same size as my previous helmet. It felt way too small, so a larger one was ordered. You may want to try one out in person. If you cant find one local try Amazon, a couple of their venders sell the helmets, and Amazon has great return policies. The helmet is basically built in two different shell sizes, different sized liners in them. Replacement liners are also available on Amazon last time I checked.
                  Last edited by dayzeedawg; 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                    My next purchase will be a Scala rider G4, Only heard good things about them.

They look like they will integrate perfectly with my Garmin and my Blackberry, which I use as a MP3 player.

My only concern is they don't seem to be stereo.
                    Scala G4 is stereo. I use them and other then music they are also awesome for comms.
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

The only issue I have with my G4 is its not easy to attach to my helmet. I had to use the sticky tape supplied with the unit and that is not the best way. I have to occasionally 'smush' it back down. I know it will eventually stop working altogether. If you have an Icon Helmet, that is basically the ONLY way you are going to attach the unit.
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I think i heard about integrated headphones in a helmet, is it still a project, or it happened already...

But that could be a good alternative, if it's out yet...

Comment

I use Sony DRBT100CX Ear Buds with my zumo gps to listen to tunes and get music, they work great...I used to use wired speakers..but was getting sick of always having to disconnect soon as you had to move more than a foot away from the bike.....You get about 16 hrs of play time with them, and then need to be charged by a standard micro usb type charger via computer or wall jack. Plus they work good as ear plugs keeping the road noise down. Only downside I think is that the buds are hard wired to the bluetooth mic/receiver (yes it does work with a cell phone no prob...but no chance it'd work on the bike as hands free chatting). I wish the buds weren't hard wired to it..and just had a 1/8inch jack to plug your buds or head phones of choice into it.

Cheers
                          Last edited by outsideandy; 05-13-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowboarder28 View Post
                            I think i heard about integrated headphones in a helmet, is it still a project, or it happened already...

But that could be a good alternative, if it's out yet...

The only problem I see with the integrated stuff is that it's a lot harder to deal with when it breaks.
                            =USAF= Retired

Comment

Working...
                            X