X

Gloves...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves...

OK, I'm getting really annoyed with gloves and need some tips. Riding around town with my current gloves (some cheap-o no-name lightly armored ones) is fine, but on the highway where I'm not constantly needing to make changes that involve moving my hands is where I hit a problem. After about 10 minutes of steady state riding, my hands start to go numb and I have to shake them out.

I'm on my second riding jacket, the first one was slightly constricting around my upper arms. Moving to a looser one helped a little. My hands won't be completely numb after 10 minutes, but they still get mighty tingly and I have to shake them out.

I'm guessing it's the gloves even though they seem like they fit correctly. I used to do a lot cycling (pedal powered kind) and had a similar issue on the open road. After trying a number of gloves there, I eventually gave up and now bicycle gloveless, and have no more issues at all. However, that's not an acceptable solution for a motorcycle...

What's the appropriate way to size/fit motorcycle gloves so I can ride in a straight line for minutes on end without my hands falling asleep?

I know for some people it's caused by riding position. Swapping to more upright bars might help - but if you had the same issue with bicycle gloves...maybe not.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Most likely your hands going numb is riding position not the gloves.

Comment

keep your arms and hands loose. It's easy to tense up and not even notice it. Another tip to help arm fatigue/numbness is to hug the tank with your thighs like your riding a bull. Your arms will naturally loosen up. Also since you kind of lean forward on these bikes, dont hold your weight with your torso and arms, focus your weight to your feet for support. Posture has alot to do with numbness but to a small extent, its going to happen. the best you can do is minimize it. I commute to work about 60 miles one way and if i dont switch around between the above tips I get numb even without gloves. oh and my pinky toes goes numb alot too.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

How is the feel @ the bars? Vibration?
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1 on riding position I ended up mounting some standard bar clamps to my upper triple clamp and then using some ROX risers with some standard bars. No more numbness and slow speed handling is much better with wider bar setup.

Comment

I go to a chiropractor
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I had the same problem when I first started riding. As stated by maniac, loosen up your grip and hug the tank with your thighs. Gel grips helped a lot. Also I have read on here that a properly synced carbs will help a bit with vibration.
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

I'll work with my posture/trying loosen up a bit and see what I can do with it. My Kat really runs nice and smooth, vibration is minimal (although, I can imagine it's still probably a contributing factor). Failing at the above, I'll look into making vehicle modifications.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I have some short Sidi gloves that work wonders, and a pair of BILT cold weather gauntlets in XXL that I put on over them when its cold.

Comment

Working...
                    X