X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rackovanz
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4536935505&catego ry=35595

would this work in a 2000 750 frame
    Water cooled is alot of work, I wouldn't do it. But Waltari might
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4536935505&catego ry=35595

Not in a 2000 Kat 750 frame.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No. Look at the intakes on the head, they are a down draft style. In other words you would have to get rid of that pesky gas tank for starters. Oh and NONE of the engine mounts line up.

Comment

exploring options....

found a '92 gsx-R motor for $500, 17K miles. has anyone done this exact swap, and what problems will i run into if i try it? i have carbs on my kat engine from a 92 GSX-R 750 already, but i'm using K&N filters for intake. also, i have a Vance and Hines header and pipe on the kat now. if i'm thinking correctly, i'll HAVE to get a GSX-R 750 exhaust just to get it to bolt up to the engine, correct? although it seems easier to me to just replace my old engine with a used kat 750 motor, i fear another tranny blow out since they seem to be common. if anyone has done this swap, can you give some pro's and con's on it? thanks!

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
          "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

88-92 Gixxer motors will bolt directly in, with some SLIGHT modifications.

1- The breather box on top of the engine will hit the cross bar for the frame (The Gas Tank Support), so part of that will have to be cut out. Also, I am not sure how tall the head is, but part of the breather box may need to be ground down as well. Sounds like you already have the carbs, and maybe even the Header. So whatcha waiting for????

Get-R-Dun!!!!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

and the oil lines
              PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
              The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Or you could swap the valve cover out for a late model Katana 600 or 750 and not have to notch the cross bar.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  Sounds like you already have the carbs, and maybe even the Header. So whatcha waiting for????

Get-R-Dun!!!!
                  sending payment for the engine tomorrow i hope to have it in a week!

since i can keep the headers and pipe from the kat engine, should i use the kat airbox as well or should i keep the K&N pods on there? my gixxer carbs are stock, no jetkit or anything...

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
                    Or you could swap the valve cover out for a late model Katana 600 or 750 and not have to notch the cross bar.
                    Nope, still had to carve a bit away. Not much mind you, but still a bit.

And as Corey stated, you will have to reroute the oil lines. Corey made a custom set for pretty darn cheap.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou are you talking about the 1100 you put in your bike or a 600/750? And 1100 has taller cylinders than a 600/750.

Comment

any info on what i need to pick up/do to reroute the oil lines is appreciated

you mean groove the support bar or the box itself?

Comment

Yea.....Lou: YOUR engine IS taller! 1127 head, just like Mr. Clean said, is taller than the 750 GSXR.

takirb: You should be fine with just using the top air exhaust (rectangular) port from yoru Kat (they are lower), or maybe get one from a 98+ kat motor, (they are lower yet!), and cutting about 1/2 of the cross bar out only at the width of that box, (maybe, measure it). Oil lines and 750 oil cooler from your Kat should work fine, as should your exhaust system!

Since you got a 91 0r 92, you're in luck!
                          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Yeah, that be a 1100, and the cylinders are tall enough that to do a valve adjustment, I think there gona have to drop the engine out a bit.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                              ...and cutting about 1/2 of the cross bar out only at the width of that box...
                              would cutting that bar have an affect on the strength of the bike's structure or is the bar only for supporting the tank?

Comment

I'm sure it's there just for holding the tank up , as the ends that ends that bolt to the frame don't seem to be shaped OR positioned well enough to add much to the structural integrity (whoa , that ALMOST sounded smart !) . This is just my opinion , I could be wrong (but I don't think I am :bigfinger )
                                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                                X