Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

96 katana i screwed up my tire order and need some advice????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thetable View Post
    IMHO, you need none of that. To do it on the cheap, you need:
    two 2x4x8 @ <$5 ea
    3 tire levers @ ~$7 ea, (you can spend more if you like, bigger does tend to be better.)
    empty shampoo bottle or oil bottle @ $0

That will get the tires dismounted and mounted. To get them balanced, you can get them pretty close between a pair of jackstands using the wheels own bearings. I built my own rig out of some scrap metal and some rollerblade bearings I had sitting around, and it works better, but the difference is not huge. The other balancing option is to go with a product like Dynabeads, but that involves a little more money.
    Has somebody written up a how-to on this kind of thing? If so, I need to find it. If not, that would be a great bit of information for a lot of people I bet.

Comment

The info is out on the internets, but I don't believe that there has been a write up here. I would but the next tire change on the Buell I'm ordering a NoMar setup, the rear with a 180 is a real SOB! And the Tuna isn't nearly as likely to go through a tire in the near future.

Here's my offer: if someone wants to come over and bring wheels/tires to mount and take pics, I'll do the write-up.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        The info is out on the internets, but I don't believe that there has been a write up here. I would but the next tire change on the Buell I'm ordering a NoMar setup, the rear with a 180 is a real SOB! And the Tuna isn't nearly as likely to go through a tire in the near future.

Here's my offer: if someone wants to come over and bring wheels/tires to mount and take pics, I'll do the write-up.
        Reason I asked is, I recently tried to do it myself with irons from harbor freights for my buddy's zx9-r but had absoultely no luck. I think I can get through this summer on my current tires but next summer, I'll pack up the r6 and drive to Virginia, bit of a hike but..

Comment

New England Cycle Center in Hartford will mount and balance for $40/tire if you bring them the rims off the bike.
          sigpic
          »Ross Wendell
          »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Place here does it for $30/wheel if they're off the bike.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

There is a video in the pic's section. He uses his truck and a 2x4 to break the bead. Buy a set of spoons to get the tire off the rim and the nylon sliders and you will be fine after watching the vid. I was gonna do the HF changer but am going with the 2x4 option.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                There is a video in the pic's section. He uses his truck and a 2x4 to break the bead. Buy a set of spoons to get the tire off the rim and the nylon sliders and you will be fine after watching the vid. I was gonna do the HF changer but am going with the 2x4 option.
                I picked up the HF 39.99 bead breaker to remove tires off of 4 kat rims I had. It was sweet how quick and easy it made it, and very worth the cash to me.

I've done the 2X4 thing, and the hassle to get everything right, etc... well, I'm glad I got it for sure. Everything else I know can be done fairly well with basic around the house tools.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah , but I'm cheap .
                  Hardest part about doing your own tires is breaking the bead . Once you get THAT out of the way ,the rest is about technique with a dab of elbow grease . Also , irons or levers help . I got a couple larger prybars and a couple small spoons . Smaller ones "hold my place" , while the larger ones are my leverage . Once you figger out how to keep the tire in the center of the rim while levering , it'll make your job TONS easier .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    Once you figger out how to keep the tire in the center of the rim while levering , it'll make your job TONS easier .
                    Knees FTW!
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Hey table, i'm ordering tires tomorrow... might wanna take you up on that offer.
                      SAV

Head up, eyes open... always!!!
                      Be... and be not afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by sav View Post
                        Hey table, i'm ordering tires tomorrow... might wanna take you up on that offer.
                        Alright, let me know. I actually have a new method I want to try if you don't mind, worse case scenario, it might add 30 minutes.
                        Last edited by thetable; 04-09-2009, 07:44 PM.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet

Comment

I use the jack from my car to break the bead.... put the base of the jack against the tire bead (not the rim)... jack up the car.... pop,.

Comment

I did that once . "Once" because I couldn't get it to work the next time . 2x4's using the car as the anchor or whatever worked MUCH better .
                            And yes Table , knees FTW ! I kinda wish I had a tire to change so I could document it now .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i got it done and the slightly smaller on the front makes it a little more fun going into turns but i like it. and after i got them off the bike i used a vice press to pop the bead a screw driver and a rag to get the old ones off and a couple tie straps to get the new ones (made it real simple i should have taken pics.) got them on the beed put vave stems back in and used a steal rod on roller blade bearings to balance them. now there back on the bike and i took it out yesterday in the rain as soon as i finished and it fealt nice going out for a nice ride today now that its nice to wear em in a bit to get them nice for the corners......

Comment

Originally posted by jester46357 View Post
                                i got it done and the slightly smaller on the front makes it a little more fun going into turns but i like it. and after i got them off the bike i used a vice press to pop the bead a screw driver and a rag to get the old ones off and a couple tie straps to get the new ones (made it real simple i should have taken pics.) got them on the beed put vave stems back in and used a steal rod on roller blade bearings to balance them. now there back on the bike and i took it out yesterday in the rain as soon as i finished and it fealt nice going out for a nice ride today now that its nice to wear em in a bit to get them nice for the corners......

Won't be long and we'll have you tearing down and rebuilding the motor into a nice hotrod of a bike....

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X