X
X

All About Chains

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sorry to hear about ur kat getting stolen. I did find out how-ever that both the sprockets are tost, but the cain is still good (thank god). The front sprocket has a tooth bent and the rear one is just worn. So, I went ahead and bought new sprockets and the auto oiler.

Thank you again!!
    If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

If you've had to adjust your chain four times, and were at the end of the adjustment range, I doubt the chain is still good (remember what I said about the chain wearing to the sprockets).... A badly worn chain will wear the new sprockets out fast and the whole thing will become a cyclic point of failure -- best to replace everything at once.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The guy who put the chain on didnt take enough links out when he installed it. The manufact. said to take 2 links out for a stock set-up. Mine has downsized sprockets so he was supposed to take out 4 links. Chain was straight, plyable, and none of the links were even worn in yet.
        The bike has been working 100% since i put the sprockets and oiler on. Not one issue. You saved me about 3 months of headaches. Thank you again!!!
        If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

i use silkolene any thoughts on that?
          BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Never investigated the composition or behavior. Is it oily or waxy? Virtually everything is one of the two...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

not to sure as i only applied it at the end of the riding season and then my bike decided to die on me an i havent been able to get it running yet , however i have taken it to my shop and started to work on it so hopefully i will be trying some twisties soon, and may i also add dude i love reading your posts cyber because you imho more than anyone on here seem to take the time to explain thing better then anyone on here, and i as an ametuer thank you for that
              BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

this is strange because i took a look at my rear sprocket and it is a 42 tooth. I plan on moving it back to stock because i dont trust the chain as it has been sitting with no lube/oil for a while.

also my teeth are very sharp and pointy. they arent curved but im certain they will need to be changed out soon after i get the bike properly running

Comment

Not to change the subject, but the service guy at my shop turned me on to a new tool. (new to me, anyway) It's called the "Grunge Buster" for chain cleaning. It cost @ $15 for the kit, (brush and cleaning solution) but the brush alone is worth it. It cleans 3 sides of the chain at once and the bristles are adjustable for varying chain sizes. Kinda shaped like this -[ Check it out, it's well worth it.

Comment

Moose makes that grunge brush...

They also make my preference in chain cleaning tools, their Moose Chain Scrubber, which is a box with a gear-driven set of brushes that rotate as you move the chain, plus brushes front/back of the box & lid (hold the box still by hand, rotate the rear wheel, allowing the chain to pass through it -- and totally ignore the included string and tying it to something).

The chain scrubber ships with a chemical from them called SludgeAway, which is the shizit for chain cleaning and general oil/wax/crud removal from wheel metal, swing arms, chains, anything powdercoated, etc. (not recommended for paint). The chemical is also available in bottles separately, up to one gallon in size...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The best chains are d.i.d and rk. Thats oem stuff i know some guys use syn. Trans fluid oil its real clean stuff and cheap made for shear forces

Comment

Can't get kerosene in CA. Very hard to find Moose products too. So I have tried the aerosol can products. Liked Motorex 611, but can't get in here anymore either. Used Maxima blue can quite a bit too when nothing else on shelf. What I like best now is the Motul Chain Clean. Really gets it clean. I use a whole can each time (about $8). Follow up w/ Motul Road Chain Lube (they also make an Off-Road Chain Lube, as well).

The secret to avoiding a lot of crap from fling-off with the aerosol lubes is too let it sit overnight. It sets up better and you get less crud on yer wheels and other parts. Also keeps more of the lube on the chain where it belongs.

Got 19,600 miles from my stock chain. It's definitely shot. Received RK 530XSOZ1 chain and sprocket kit from Ron Ayers today. Stock 15/45 sprocket sizes and 116 link stock chain length in kit. You order them specific to your Make/Model/Year from ronayers. 147 bucks w/ shipping. Will install next weekend.
                        The secret to life, whether it's love or money, is knowing when to quit. Take it from me, I'm divorced and broke.

Comment

Originally posted by jcwingman View Post
                          Can't get kerosene in CA. Very hard to find Moose products too.
                          I ran into the same issues here in Florida... The moose products I order off the net (a gallon size of their sludge-away is $25+shipping and lasts a couple years for me)... Oddly enough, I just found (this past week) pure kerosene for the first time available again via my local Ace hardware store in the paint isle of all places

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by jcwingman View Post
                            I use a whole can each time (about $8). Follow up w/ Motul Road Chain Lube (they also make an Off-Road Chain Lube, as well).

The secret to avoiding a lot of crap from fling-off with the aerosol lubes is too let it sit overnight.
                            Maybe the secret is to not use a WHOLE CAN at once ...... And MOST waxes/lubes will tell you to wipe off excess after a few minutes . Helps avoid lots of fling . I lube the HELL outta my chain , and just wipe it off before it gets too dry , and don't have tons of fling .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

OK, I know the ideal slack on a chain for a Kat is approx. 1.1 inches when its on its centre stand. My question is should it take quite a bit of exertion to make it 1.1 inches pulling the chain to the top of its limit and pushing it to the bottom or should it easily travel the 1.1 inches with little exertion. At the present time I tightened my chain and it takes a fair amount of effort (with 1 thumb) to have the chain travel the 1.1 inches and i`m just wondering if I have overtightened and will ultimately do more harm then good. Thanks in advance.

Comment

It shouldn't take gorilla strength to push/pull it the half inch in each direction...

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X