X

Headlight question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight question

alright before i say anything i want to throw it out there that i did try the search, but im new to the site so im not too good at it

my low bulb is burnt out but the high works just fine, my questions are

1.) what kind of bulb is the low beam
    2.) how do i get the giant cyclops headlight assembly out to change the bulb
    3.) can i upgrade and just put in a HID bulb without changing anything else?

hoping i dont look like too much of an idiot here
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

1) The 98+ Kat has a single bulb with dual elements for each headlight. So you cannot replace just the left side low beam. you have to replace the left or the right side bulb.

2) In a 98+ Kat you change the bulb from from the back of the head light. I was able to reach down through the dash past the fork to the light. there is a rubber boot covering. You need to remove the rubber boot and the wire harness. The bulb is held in place with a custom spring clip. It can be a little tricky getting back on blind. I ended up taking my fairing off to get to it to put it back together.

3) You can switch to a brighter bulb such as a Sylvania Silverstar as long as you do not exceed the stock wattage. I believe that is 55/60W. Do a search a lot of people here have the Silverstars and they love them.

Comment

yeah, all that info applies to a pre 98 Katana also

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
        2) In a 98+ Kat you change the bulb from from the back of the head light. I was able to reach down through the dash past the fork to the light. there is a rubber boot covering. You need to remove the rubber boot and the wire harness. The bulb is held in place with a custom spring clip. It can be a little tricky getting back on blind. I ended up taking my fairing off to get to it to put it back together.
        I think he meant pre 98 there.

Long Live the D

Comment

As to your first question, go through tzortn's links, there should be the info there.

For number 2, on your Pre, it's a single bulb, no need to replace the whole housing. When mine first went bad, I thought I had to replace the whole thing too, until I noticed the price of a new housing, it's like 160 bones!!

Number three, I'm sure it could be done, but seems way more expensive than it's worth. I've read some threads regarding this for the 98+, but I haven't read much on the Pre's.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

thanks for all your help guys, im new to bikes and was never too knowledgable about cars to begin with so i figured i would ask before i messed my new baby up too badly

i do have a set of silverstars in my cage but i just wasnt too impressed with them

so i just need to buy a 9003 bulb and just stick 'er in there?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

H4's... http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...773&highlight=

Or, for sake of argument, 9003's

Apparently, they are the same thing.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
              X