X

I F***ed up.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I F***ed up.....

So I got a left and right hand fairing online from the same individual. They were pretty messed up with cracks and what not however, I have spent the last 3 weeks making and designing a custom paint scheme. Last night I finished every part of the bike I planned to paint. The very last part I put on was the right hand side fairing. Well...... I guess I was a dip-shit and didn't bother to try them on the bike before paint. I have the wrong fairing. It fits into position about 90% however it will not line up with the frame mounting points and appears to be to too thin. The fairing is blocked from going on any further because of the overall width being to short and the instrument panel limits the front from going on far enough to bolt down the mirrors.

Can I modify the fairing to fit? What do I actually have?

Note... (The left hand fairing is perfect)
    Attached Files

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
    So I got a left and right hand fairing online from the same individual. They were pretty messed up with cracks and what not however, I have spent the last 3 weeks making and designing a custom paint scheme. Last night I finished every part of the bike I planned to paint. The very last part I put on was the right hand side fairing. Well...... I guess I was a dip-shit and didn't bother to try them on the bike before paint. I have the wrong fairing. It fits into position about 90% however it will not line up with the frame mounting points and appears to be to too thin. The fairing is blocked from going on any further because of the overall width being to short and the instrument panel limits the front from going on far enough to bolt down the mirrors.

Can I modify the fairing to fit? What do I actually have?

Note... (The left hand fairing is perfect)
    If you look at the tip, back, top side above the instrument panel... does it have the long plastic screw hole protrusion for the small abs cover?

If yes, it's OEM

If no, it's most likely a Mair ABS aftermarket fairing... and they tend to run a little bit small because they are a mold taken from a mold of an OEM fairing. Each time you do that, the final product comes out a little bit smaller, so they are not quite right.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      If you look at the tip, back, top side above the instrument panel... does it have the long plastic screw hole protrusion for the small abs cover?

If yes, it's OEM

If no, it's most likely a Mair ABS aftermarket fairing... and they tend to run a little bit small because they are a mold taken from a mold of an OEM fairing. Each time you do that, the final product comes out a little bit smaller, so they are not quite right.

Krey
      Shit... Yeah its not oem then. I am going to try to make the holes slightly oval shape and trim the part at the instrument cluster. I really should have looked at that first, but oh well I guess I have to learn the hard way.

Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
        Shit... Yeah its not oem then. I am going to try to make the holes slightly oval shape and trim the part at the instrument cluster. I really should have looked at that first, but oh well I guess I have to learn the hard way.

Thank You!

I've never had to trim at the instrument panel, but I have found that pressing the center in towards the bike flexes the whole thing out a bit wider. At the same time, I have used slightly longer screws inserted into the fairing at an angle, and then "leverage" them straight pulling the hole over to where the screws can be inserted straight.

That's what I have to do every time on Badfaerie's bike as both of her mains are maire fairings.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Here are the gaps I now have in some areas. I will need to drill a hole in the area above the wheel to hold the fairing in place near the headlight. The lower hole that attaches to the lower fairing is broken so I am not sure what to do there. Hopefully with enough time I can figure out how to make it work. If not I will just have to use my normal fairings.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, they look like Meier plastics. I was never able to get them to fit quite right on the kat.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Otherwise... what do you guys think about the paint? Criticism welcome!

Comment

not bad it looks like a tiger stripe pattern to me

Comment

The Maire plastics do not come pre drilled. So yes, you will need to drill them for any holes the PO didn't do.

Also, while they are a tad smaller than the OEM fairings, they shouldn't be that far off at the gauges. I would suspect your gauges/fairing stay bracket are bent/torqued and not right.

As for the tab your missing... what I would do is... cut out a piece of ABS that has the tip in the shape of what is missing and the rest longer so that it sits a good 2" or so back up on the main fairing. Using a heat gun I would carefully heat it up and then placed it flush against the back side of the fairing to bend it so that it matches the curvature of the fairing and the tip is seated in the right position. Once cooled, I would clean the fairing back side down to bare abs, use abs cement, and attach it in place. After it's set up I would use more abs to build up and blend the front. Once all that is done and it's fully curred, paint to match.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I rebuilt the lower tabs several times. They tend to be the most stressed area on those fairings. Frankly they aren't really worth the money you pay for them... they never fit right.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Paint scheme looks nice. Get it to fit as best you can. Then use weatherstripping to fill the gaps.
                      sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

I like the paint too. There are many ways to modify the fairings if you want to go to the trouble. I once used Velcro to keep the bottom lip of a fairing on an '83 GSX750ES I owned. But I'd go with exactly what Tim (Kreylyn) is saying first. He knows.
                        Last edited by zuma; 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM. Reason: weasels in here throwing turds at us...drat!!!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

There is also 3M's VHB tape. It is supposed to stick to anything and be nearly impossible to remove.

Comment

Working...
                          X