X

$100 for a mount and balance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 for a mount and balance

Seems a little pricey, it's what i was quoted at today for mounting and balancing my tires. This is the first time i've had to put tires on my bike so i was wondering if this is standard pricing. Haven't checked any other places yet but i certainly will. Also i'm putting on a new chain and sprocket set and was quoted for another $75 for installation. Seemed pricey as well considering they wouldn't have to do too much more labor when they already have the wheels off. Am i just cheap?

$100 with the wheels on the bike? I wouldnt dream of charging any less if it were me doing the work.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That's why I started mounting/balancing my own tires. I got quoted $82 per wheel with the wheels OFF the bike!

Harbor Freight is your friend.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ker-98875.html $24.99
      http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ron-93230.html $4.99 x 2
      http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...hts-67225.html $7.99

From Autozone:
      http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search $1.99
      http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=542361_0_0_ $2.99

Total: $48 + a grease pencil or chalk to mark the heavy spot while balancing the wheel and an empty milk jug cut up for rim protectors. (Use between the tire irons and the rim to avoid scarring up the rim.)
      If I were going to go into business changing tires I'd get a better bead breaker and a changing stand to make things easier but for doing your own once or twice a year the HF stuff does just fine and the total cost of tools is less than half the cost of having a shop do it for you. If you're nervous about hitting the brake rotors then take them off before you start.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        I got quoted $82 per wheel with the wheels OFF the bike!
        That better include a steak dinner and a bottle of wine...

I thought my local dealer was bad at 20f 30r off the bike...ouch!

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          That better include a steak dinner and a bottle of wine...

I thought my local dealer was bad at 20f 30r off the bike...ouch!
          No, I think they even throw in a little grit with that. That's just New Jersey. And people wonder why I'm in such a hurry to get out of this place...
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I do my own also, have had 6 bikes : R1 TL1000s GSXR600 CBR600 & 2 Katanas & have never balanced a tire. Did 120 mph wheelies with no problems. Tires for bikes are usually balanced pretty Well. Change them with simple dirt bike irons.
            01 600...R6 mod, Hacked Factory pipe, ignition advanced, integrated rear turn signals, 03 tail, rear hugger, under tail, blacked out tailight & front turn signals and my own stickers.

Comment

I paid 75 for both off the bike a few a couple years ago ...Inflation?
              Im not a carburetor guru.

Comment

MR Honda (www.mrcycles.com) is the local dealer here.

Their standard rate is $129.99 for tire change.

I've never once gone for that... I change my own.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gibby936 View Post
                  Did 120 mph wheelies with no problems.
                  Not on the Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Gibby936 View Post
                    I do my own also, have had 6 bikes : R1 TL1000s GSXR600 CBR600 & 2 Katanas & have never balanced a tire. Did 120 mph wheelies with no problems. Tires for bikes are usually balanced pretty Well. Change them with simple dirt bike irons.
                    I'm missing the connection between balanced tires and wheelies..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                      I'm missing the connection between balanced tires and wheelies..
                      I think he's trying to correlate the lack of tankslappers to balanced tires...which as you know has almost 0 to do with it...

Comment

I'm missing the connection between wheelies and tank slappers...
                        This is getting worse..

Comment

I think the easiest thing is to find a local guy that works out of his house that will change them for you.

I found a guy on NESR (For you new england guys) that will charge $30 ON the bike and $20 off the bike.

Seemed like a steal to me so I went to him. Was great with bikes and did a great job.

Comment

The Honda dealer here ended mounting and balancing mine for $25 each. Everyone else wanted around $45 each. The guy at the honda dealer took all of 5 minutes to remove, mount , and balance the rear (I took the weights off let the air out and put in dyna beads.) I did the front myself.
                            My YouTube Videos
                            My motorcyle map!

Comment

It's $100 each here too. Like everyone els said, change them your self cheapest way.
                              2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                              1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                              Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Working...
                              X