X

Rear shock adjustment.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shock adjustment.

So i have bought a 99 kat 600 and when i ride two up the rear end feels way to soft. I was looking at the manual for my friends 06 kat 600 and it said that the rear shock can be adjusted for two up riding, can my shock be adjusted and if so how?

Originally posted by MattAlexander12 View Post
    So i have bought a 99 kat 600 and when i ride two up the rear end feels way to soft. I was looking at the manual for my friends 06 kat 600 and it said that the rear shock can be adjusted for two up riding, can my shock be adjusted and if so how?
    There is a cam adjuster on the shock that has steps in it and the higher you crank that adjuster the more preload you put on the spring. If memory serves correct you can go up to #7. Look on the shock and it is a collar that you can rotate and it will have numbers on it. What do you and the passenger combined weigh?

Tmod

Comment

Trust mod on this he's the man. Let him redo you suspension
      03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
      04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
      08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
      10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
      05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

I weigh 180 lbs and she weighs about 125lbs so 305 lbs. id like a stiffer ride for when i ride by myself as well. I have looked at the spring and shock and i saw the numbers. its set on four. What kind of tool and steps do i need to do to adjust it?

Comment

I weigh 180 lbs and she weighs about 125lbs so 305 lbs. id like a stiffer ride for when i ride by myself as well. I have looked at the spring and shock and i saw the numbers. its set on four. What kind of tool and steps do i need to do to adjust it?
          Ideally you would need a spanner wrench, I don't know if one comes in the tool kit or not. At bike nights we use this one quite a bit. Link

Once you have the spanner wrench just go from 4 to 5 and on to 7, Never go from 7 to 1.

I would still suggest a different spring as you cannot change the spring rate by adding more preload.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks alot Tmod. I will probably look into a new spring. I just need an quick fix for now. I appreciate the help. This may be a stupid question but why dont i wanna crank it up? will it damage the shock? Should i adjust it one click then drive it around and adjust it more after?

Comment

Thanks alot Tmod. I will probably look into a new spring. I just need an quick fix for now. I appreciate the help. This may be a stupid question but why dont i wanna crank it up? will it damage the shock? Should i adjust it one click then drive it around and adjust it more after?
              Go all the way to 7 now, I didn't mean the one step as in riding and try it and then come back and adjust again. By all means go past go and straight to 7.

Tmod

Comment

Adjusting the preload, will this lower the back some?
                06 GSXF 600 Black
                -Decals
                smoked windscreen
                smoked front turn signals
                modded rear tail

Comment

Adjusting the preload will change the height of the bike but not much. The suspension should collapse a set amount front and rear when you sit on the bike. This suspension movement from fully extended to your weight on it is called sag. You adjust preload to achieve the correct sag. If you are looking to lower the bike you should look into a lowering kit.

Comment

Working...
                  X