X

Front End Guide

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front End Guide

I looked throughout the site, and i know there's probably some guides in the manual (i've used the manual to do a lot), but I need a more visual or perhaps a more "consumer" perspective guide on swapping front ends.

I've bought an entire front end for my katana, though i only needed the inner tubes, just figured it'd be easier to swap out the whole thing then have to slide the inner tubes out and yadda.

I know, at least i think i know, with swapping just the fork tubes out, you pop off the clip ons, and virtually just slip the forks out of the triple tree clamps, but if I am replacing the front end (inclusive of the triple tree clamps), do i pop the clip ons off and the triple tree clamps, and just do the same thing in reverse order?

It's cold, and the garage is cold, and I don't want to be in there longer than I need to fumbling around

Yup, real simple. A little time consuming but, simple. Clip ons, triple clamp screws, pull them out. Reverse process. You may need to wedge the triple clamp open a little.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok, then I was in the right thought process and it's as simple as I thought. Appreciate the quick answer.

Comment

Unless you are worried about the triple clams being bent, or just want to because of cosmetic issues, why bother to swap them out?

Get the front end up, pull the clip-ons, calipers, wheel & fender off and swap the fork legs out. Easy-peasy!

Comment

Well, my thought process was, the tree clamps are already on, why not just swap em out instead of taking the tubes out and switching them like that.

You think just swapping the tubes would be easier?

Comment

Unless you need to do head bearings, I'd think far easier.

You have to remove the legs from the old triple clamps anyway...well, at least the top one, to remove the whole assembly from the head tube. The clamps on the triples are only 4 bolts.

Comment

Working...
            X