No announcement yet.
X

I hit a deer tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well , as to the deer-chasers and such , there was just an article in Roadbike about how they're basically useless , as deer hear pretty much the same frequencies WE do , so if WE can't hear the whislte .... They did some other research as well , and concluded that basically , a ride-bell would do about as much good .
    Yeah , I see deer out here ALL the time . This IS the country , after all . But I'd still rather live here than in the city . The best roads are just a couple miles outside my driveway . I'll be watching my mailbox for my patch JP . But shouldn't there be like a circle with a line through it or something ? Or maybe like the decals fighter pilots used to put on their planes every time they scored a kill ? I'd slap one of those on the bike .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Are you SURE there was a deer?
      ....psychedelics and motorcycles don't mix...

jk Matt...:P
      (another hippy joke!)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Do those ultra-sonic howlers work at all? Maybe time to invest in a set. I saw them at my local CycleGear shop today for $8 or some such...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Good question..
        On the one hand I don't know anyone who uses them that has hit a deer..
        Other hand I know of only one person who has hit a deer..
        (niether on motorcycles..)

Glad you are well Matt..
        Now that you have that over with chances are you will never hit (or nearly) another one..
        I used to have them on my camaro, up under where the fog lights were.. and i hit a deer with them..nothing major but it did happen. Ive heard they work and heard they dont..maybe mine was just dumb luck for me to get a deaf deer in the middle of the road

Comment

I hit a deer quite a few years back with a 1978 Chevy, well not as lucky as you were,the deer hadnt done its daily duty so she was quite full when I plowed into her....needless to say shit shit and more shit all over the car...no damage to the car though....thats when metal was metal...

Comment

My right front headlight in my car had been broken for about 2 months. I'm doing about 35 mph, at night, around a closing apex left handed turn when a deer is standing right in the middle of my lane. Since there was traffic coming directly at me from the other direction, I had virtually no chance to avoid the deer. I remember t-boning it and thrust the deer over my car. I heard a thump on the roof and then saw it do a roll over the back end and landed on the side of the road. Talk about being scared....and I was only doing 35 mph. Drove the car back home, no shimmy, no problems but wanted to get the car in the garage to inspect front-end damage. There was not even a scratch. Somehow, I think the Chevrolet was designed aerodynamically well enough to catapult the deer over my car. Clever design or just lucky?

Oh, the strangest thing……….….my broken headlight worked right after impact and has been going strong since.

Comment

Saw 2 more today on my brief little 40 mile run . Hunters 'round these parts must be slacking .

Comment

Matty !!!
                glad you're ok !!!
                - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

A hug from Slim . Then it's all worth it .

Comment

that story made MY butt pucker!
                    glad to hear ur alright..
                    << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                    KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

We get a lot of trouble with Seka deer around here from time to time, too, plus a lot of sheep on the roads. They're small enough that they're not too bad a problem though.

It's the long-horned Highland cattle wandering all over the place that can really spoil your day though.

Cheers
                      Gary

The Ancient Kingdom of Dalriada

Comment

For those not in the know, Dal Riata is a combination of northern Ireland and western Scotland.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow dude! I saw you posted in my story about the deer. I basically just clipped the one I hit I think. still felt the hit, but definately thought that I was going down. Glad to hear that you allright.

Comment

Yeah , your story sounded kinda familiar . Video , too .

Comment

Re: I hit a deer tonight

Originally posted by md86
                              Slowed down and pulled over a mlie later when I found a driveway to check the bike . No visible damage , nothing seemed loose.
                              How was your underwear

Very happy to hear no damage to you or your bike.

I have had several close calls myself, have been very lucky so far.
                              I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                                So I'm part of the deer biatch-slappin club now , right ? When should I expect to recieve my patch ?
                                1. Don't even know ya, but glad to hear you didn't end up inside looking out. That could have been wicked nasty had you not hit the brakes like ya did.

2. Parental units have a commerical class embrodiery machine. Someone come up with a design, (I don't do artsy) and I might be able to get something done given some time.

ND
                                -----
                                Deer are proof that ghosts exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X