Katana of the Month - November 2007  teddy

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

Default No spark on 98 bandit 1200!

Hello fellow riders! Im having trouble with getting spark on my 98 bandit 1200, its a completely stock engine besides pod filters and vance and hines exhaust. I have checked the coils for proper ohms, the pickup coil also checks out. I replaced the cdi. The coils are grounded with power going to them. Checked the kill switch, neutral saftey switch too. The bike ran great before this. Please help!
Blackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbandit View Post
Hello fellow riders! Im having trouble with getting spark on my 98 bandit 1200, its a completely stock engine besides pod filters and vance and hines exhaust. I have checked the coils for proper ohms, the pickup coil also checks out. I replaced the cdi. The coils are grounded with power going to them. Checked the kill switch, neutral saftey switch too. The bike ran great before this. Please help!
11v+ to the coils at all times including when the starter is turning the motor over?

Kill switch isn't sticking is it?

Accidental ground on the ignition circuit acting like a kill switch?

Is the harness OEM or has it been modified?

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

I bypassed the kill switch and its oem wiring harness
Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King

Quote:
I bypassed the kill switch and its oem wiring harness
Bypassed?... What specifically did you do (pics would be great).

Krey
Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

I jumped the switch with a single wire bypassing the switch altogether to confirm its working properly.. sorry im not sure how to upload pics
Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
Kreylyn
Kat King

Quote:
I jumped the switch with a single wire bypassing the switch altogether to confirm its working properly.. sorry im not sure how to upload pics
um... the kill switch is a ground kill switch. It works by completing a ground that kills the spark to the coils by grounding it through the frame. By jumping the switch as you described, it's permanently grounded... as in kill switch always in the bike off/not running position.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

Okay I have trouble explaining things sometimes so here's how it is...... the engine will crank over with the kill switch on and when I turn the kill switch off it does not allow it to crank, so it seems to be working properly . What would be the best way to test the kill switch? I honestly don't think it has to do with my kill switch but I have been wrong more than once lol

I just tested brand new working coils from a Buddies bike and no spark. I checked all my ground wires they seem okay my pickup coil is reading 170 ohms which is in spec my voltage Peak test for the signal generator is measuring two volts which is in Spec with the Haynes manual

Last edited by Blackbandit; 06-21-2017 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Kreylyn
Kat King

Quote:
Okay I have trouble explaining things sometimes so here's how it is...... the engine will crank over with the kill switch on and when I turn the kill switch off it does not allow it to crank, so it seems to be working properly . What would be the best way to test the kill switch? I honestly don't think it has to do with my kill switch but I have been wrong more than once lol

I just tested brand new working coils from a Buddies bike and no spark. I checked all my ground wires they seem okay my pickup coil is reading 170 ohms which is in spec my voltage Peak test for the signal generator is measuring two volts which is in Spec with the Haynes manual
What voltage do you have at the coils when the starter is turning the motor over?

Krey
Old 06-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

11 volts at the coils
Old 06-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Blackbandit
Chicken Strip

Sorry 11.6 to be exact the first test my battery was not fully charged. I also did the power/ground test on the cdi which is supposed to read battery voltage, im only getting 10.5 volts.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics