Noj Quiet Rider vs Quiet Helmet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noj Quiet Rider vs Quiet Helmet

Hi

I was wondering if the Noj Quiet Rider really is that bad as this review shows it to be: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/noj-quiet-rider/

Is there any Katrider that have an experience with it and can say if it's worth 50$?

My helmet is very loud (HJC sc-12) and I trying to decide what would be the best option: 1. Good earplugs; 2. Noj quiet rider; 3. New Helmet?

Thank you very much,

davepol

If you plan on riding in the heat, go with a better helmet or ear plugs. That thing looks like it would be too hot for me.
    American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

+1 ear plugs

Comment

I started riding with plugs just the other day and I simply can't believe the difference it makes! Not only does the head not buzz, but without the extra stimulation, you feel the speed less. Not a bad deal considering it only cost me 1.86 at Wal-Mart.

Comment

ear plugs or new helmet

I have a Kiwi K5R helmet that is super quiet, my icon mainframe is also pretty decent and I don't use ear plugs in either.
          Some of my other cheaper helmets are very loud and kept as passenger lids.
          You will cook to death in a helmet with that thing on there
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Earplugs regardless of helmet. You really won't believe the difference.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

i'll have to try the plugs out

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Most noise that I've noticed comes from the visor, not under the helmet. If I press my visor tighter while riding, the noise drops. That being said, the Quiet rider would help if you use an intercomm or radio while riding. It would remove the wind noise that a mic would normally pic up. I've been thinking of purchasing one for that reason. However, the cooking aspect always has me worried.

I just looked at the review. They state the Quiet rider only comes in two models. That's a bold faced lie. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/ has a basic and standard version as well that is basically stretch material that covers only the opening of the hemlet, not the neck as well. Guess you still can't believe everything you read.
                Last edited by brooder; 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

I've been useing the Quiete Rider Deluxe or similar Cycle gear product for about 8-12 months and love it. When I was in Dallas and riding 3.5hrs to go to Fort Hood I started wearing one of the neoprene ones like the Wind Jammer(early to mid 2007) that wrap around the bottom of the helmet. IT SUCKED. I had to tape it to the helmet to keep it on at high way speeds.

When I saw the Quiet Rider it was about $28 at Cycle Gear and thought I'll try it has to be better than the neoprene. The Quiet Rider has BEEN GREAT. It attaches between the shell and the foam by a .5in-.75in plastic rim. I has a 1-1.5in zipper in the chin flap
                  to let air in and it reduses noise. No it doesnt eliminate noise but definately reduces it.

Now I'm in Kansas in winter and I wont ride without it. Keeps the helmet much warmer. It's just as easy to put the helmet on too. Just hold onto the chin strps put helemt one runfinger around the end to straighten out place chin flap on velcro.. .. off and riding.
                  Last edited by AKA AllyKat; 03-18-2008, 04:45 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    Earplugs regardless of helmet. You really won't believe the difference.
                    +1

Although I sell ear plugs (ones I selected after testing several dozen types on the market), I'm not picky about where you get your ear plugs, just fussy that everyone really should wear good ones, irrelevant of the helmet. I've never met a helmet that's so quiet at interstate speeds that it wouldn't cause long term hearing damages over time...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Add one mored vote for ear plugs. I see it as much as a safety device as my helmet. You are guaranteed to damage your hearing over time riding without them.

Comment

wearing the ear plugs you can still hear you bike running fine? Or does it primarily just block wind noise?

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Blocks wind noise which in turn allows you to hear the bike better. With earplugs, I can actually hear what the engine is doing over the wind and exhaust.
                          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                          -Terence

Comment

Ear plugs tend to block out the "white noise". I still hear my engine and traffic noise with out any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
                              Ear plugs tend to block out the "white noise". I still hear my engine and traffic noise with out any problems.
                              +1.

Your helmet has a lot of edges -- edges on the visor, on the visor hinges, on the vents, on the lower edge of the helmet -- and all of these form little wind vertices that vibrate to induce noise. Ditto your jacket and the edges of the windshield. The faster you go, the more vibration these edges all cause, and the louder that noise is. For most helmets, there's a huge noise issue right around 500 Hz in frequency, plus a very wide-band white noise across the whole spectrum. The ear plugs cut all the noise down by a certain percentage (better ear plugs cut larger percentages in the right frequencies), which both helps protect your hearing and lets your brain reduce how much attention it has to consume to constantly try to pattern match everything (your brain pattern-matches sounds constantly no matter what).

The analogy I tend to use is the difference between trying to understand a screamed conversation at a loud concert vs. understanding a quiet (virtually whispered) conversation in a library -- with less to filter, people comprehend more of the conversation in the quiet place. The same is true while riding -- your brain can more quickly identify noises that it needs to pattern-match (sirens, tires locking up, horns, etc.) with ear plugs than without.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X