KOTM Dec 2007 Chinto

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
solidfish
Katrider

Default 2001 Katana with 1400 miles. When to do the first Service?

I purchased my bike about a month ago with 1100 miles on it. Its a 2001 600. The bike is in excellent (nearly new) condition and its first service check has not yet been done.

Being a 2001 with 1400 miles, when would you recommend I do its first service? Anything in particular I should check?

Also, would anyone know the recommended tire air pressures?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
BobKat2002
Kat Daddy

Personally, I'd have had the first service done before I put another mile on it. Especially since the bike is 5 years old.

Change the oil and filter now, at least.
Then get the first service inspections done ASAP.

Tire pressure is 34 Front and 32 Rear. I believe.
More for two up riding.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
solidfish
Katrider

will do it this weekend, thanks!
solidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
solidfish
Katrider

any recommendations on where to get oil and oil filter. Manual says to use only SUZUKI brand filters. Has others been doing this?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
TheCandyman
Formerly gsxkatana600

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/index.html

Go here, You will learn anything you need to know about your katana.
TheCandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
solidfish
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxkatana600
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/index.html

Go here, You will learn anything you need to know about your katana.

Thats very nice site. THank you very much
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
TheCandyman
Formerly gsxkatana600

Your welcome. Its CyberPoets Site. I belive he sells whatever you need or if your in a hurry you can purchase whatever you need from a Suzuki Dealership.
TheCandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
woobie
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

eBay ID: labayb

If you check out this link

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...images/pmc.jpg

You'll see your due for

Brake lines
Fuel lines
Tires
brake Fluid
Fork Oil

Even though it's got extremely low mileage it has 5 years ageing on all the parts so a few things should be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat2002

Tire pressure is 34 Front and 32 Rear. I believe.
More for two up riding.

It's should be 33 Front 36 Rear AFAIK.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

The bike desperately needs an oil change and really should get the full 600 mile service ASAP.

Based on the age/mileage, either:
(A) It sat around most of it's life (bad), or
(B) The previous owners installed a new instrument cluster (and defrauded you in the process).

Assuming (A) is more likely to be true, the following additional things above and beyond the 600 mile service need to be checked/done/etc -- most involve rubber that as gone past replacement age:
[Rubber] Tires need to be replaced. Tires are good for a maximum of five years before they harden up too much to grip properly due to loss of VOC's. These tires would fit that description. Best recommendation for replacements IMHO are Metzeler Z6's in the OEM sizes, or the Pirelli Diablo Stradas (also in the OEM sizes).
[Rubber] Brake lines need to be swapped out for the same basic reason as the tires -- age means loss of VOC's which can mean cracking and spontaneous brake failure due to pressure loss. Best recommendation for replacements IMHO are SS-sheathed teflon-lined replacements, and are available from many companies at prices approximately the same as the OEM lines.
[Rubber] Brake caliper piston seals. For all the same reasons as the stuff above.
[Rubber] Fork oil & dust seals, plus fork oils. Ditto...
[Rubber] vacuum and fuel lines. Ditto...
Interior of tank needs to be examined for presence of rust VERY CLOSELY, and should be treated for rust ASAP if any rust is found (explanation is too long for this page -- see my How to deal with Gas Tank rust in your motorcycle webpage).
[Rubber] It is highly possible that rubber o-rings in the carbs will be bad given being parked off that long. If there are any questions about it, replace them -- the O-rings are cheap (although a bit of a PIA to get to), esp compared to running unreliably.
Oil & brake fluids. Since the brake fluid will get changed automatically if you replace the brake lines and/or caliper piston seals, I can leave it at that (recommended brand/type: Castrol GT LMA / DOT 4). The oil ought to be double-changed because of the likeliness of acid by-products having built up in it from condensation during being parked, and the oil cooler should be manually drained at this time too. Given the mileage, I recommend using any cheap dino motorcycle-specific oil that is JASO-MA rated, such as Castrol ACT/Evo or Hondaline 4 (whatever is cheapest). Change oil & filter (& drain cooler), run for 5 minutes, then repeat.
everything else should be covered automatically by the 600 mile service, although asking for a 15k service instead will ensure that everything is done (some dealerships skimp on the 600 mile service, such as the actual valve adjustment check).

Good Luck!
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
solidfish
Katrider

How hard is it to do this maintanence check up on my own? I have the manual and tools in my garage. I think the only other thing I need would be a bike stand.

Would you know how much (on average) the dealerships charge for this service?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk