X

Ignition delete

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition delete

Hey guys, finally just about finished my street fighter project. Took the bike out for a spin to the gas station and during the fill-up I broke the flimsy key off in the ignition! I was already planning on removing the ignition and cutting the supporting bar to fit a new set of gauges in so I'm not that upset. My question is, can I wire in an on/off switch (hidden of course) to replace the key? I have a general idea but I want to make sure the bike doesn't freak out or anything. It's a 2001 600
    2001 GSX600F
    1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E
    2004 RX-8
    Rotary and motorcycle enthusiast

There is a safety diode in the 98+ ignition switch. If the bike is hot wired, the diode will burn out in about 30 seconds and the bike won't start again. I'm sure there is a way around it, but it's not going to be that simple. I can't give you any advice. I've never tried it, so I have no idea. It's not a "flimsy" key, it's a key. Settle down Thor.
    Last edited by arsenic; 03-16-2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

+1, hidden switches are useless, if they look hard enough, they will find it.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Not sure how the diode will effect it, but you might want to consider a RFID system rather than a hidden switch. Next time I have my bike out of service for a while I will be adding in a system to my bike.

Mine is based on the work done by a guy who goes by D'Ecosse on several forums, especially the SVrider and Triumph forums.

RFID D'Ecosse search

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          It's not a "flimsy" key, it's a key. Settle down Thor.
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Thanks for everybody's help! I had no idea about that safety feature. The key broke off on the handle so hopefully I can just get a duplicate made. And I said it was flimsy because I was just comparing it to my Kawasaki key but it was still my fault. Guess I was overly excited to be riding it!
            2001 GSX600F
            1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E
            2004 RX-8
            Rotary and motorcycle enthusiast

Comment

If you can fish it out, you can take both halves to a locksmith and have a replacement made. Ask me how i know....
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
              X