X

'01 Kat (600) blows ignition fuse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 Kat (600) blows ignition fuse

Ok ... I've been dealing with an intermittent ignition fuse issue for quite some time now, but yesterday it did something new. Sometimes when I would accelerate really hard 6K+ RPM my ignition fuse would blow (not everytime). I'd move the wire bundle inside the cowling and replace the fuse (often multiple times until it would stop blowing fuses). Yesterday, just driving under a constant load around 4K RPM it blew a fuse (first time for this) ... bike had only been running for 10 minutes and just last week I went for a 4 hour mountain ride with lots of shifting and passing (6K+ RPM) with NO PROBLEMS. I know it has to be a short in the wire somewhere just can't understand the intermittency, unless you all have any other great ideas to my issue? It is looking like it will be a winter project.

Thanks!

You need to find that short...
    Also check and make sure you are using the right fuse.
    I got one fuse on my pre bigger than the others and when I had 4 identical fuses in it kept blowing on me replace fuse with proper one and bam no more problems.
    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
    Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Do you have a schematic? If you identify the wire that goes through that fuse, would you be able to do a continuity check on it? Could it be your ignition switch?

I don't understand the correllation between RPM's and blowing fuses.

Comment

Your alternator puts out more power the higher the rpms. Generally speaking, I would first test to make sure it's not over charging with a volt meter. I would then check all the wires and connections to make sure they are clean and not causing a faulty connection/force the alternator to push out more power than it needs too (cause it probably is). At this time if you find any broken wires, damaged insulation, or dirty/burnted/faulty connections, fix them.

I would also make sure you are using the right fuses.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X