Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Thinking about getting a katana. Need advice!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a katana. Need advice!

Hey guys. Well I have never had a bike before in my life. and today was my first time riding one. And ill have to say, I love it!! Anyways, Im looking at a 94 Katana 600. It has a brand new paint job and everything, and the guy is supposed to bring it by tonight and let me ride it. I was just wanting some feedback on how these bikes perform. A few people I have talked to say that Katana's aren't really good bikes so I dont know. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Its a great bike. Fantastic for a learner, cheap to maintain.
    sigpic

Comment

this is katriders so we all love ours kats if you rode one than you know do not let others pick a bike for you if they want you to have (in their minds) a better bike than tell them to buy it for you if not than shut the f**k up
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Well I haven't rode it yet, I rode a ninja 600 for a little bit, and supposed to be riding the kat tonight. I know the kat has like 24k miles on it, is that pretty high for a bike? or should it hold for awhile longer?

Comment

a WHOLE LOT longer 24K is NOT high at all

Comment

Kats are good bikes. They are like any other machine, if they've been maintained and taken care of they are great bikes. You can get them fairly cheap and they are easy to maintain. There are certain quirks about them such as being a bit heavier than other sport bikes tho. they are a good all around ride.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by I Make it Rain
              I'm gonna say this to you as someone that wants to help. For the love of God DO NOT buy a katana. Everyone stuck with them will be in denial but they are heavy, slow, cant wheelie right, and are horrible on gas mileage. I really wish someone told me this before I bought mine. Actually some1 did. He said it was a girls bike and everyone flamed him so I didn't listen. Get a suzuki 600 gsxr but not a katana or you will regret it I swear. It is a good beginner bike and better then a 500 though but thats about it. cheers.
              The Katana is a sport touring bike, it you want to go fast, wheelie, stunt or in general own a crotch rocket the Katana is not for you.

That said in defense of my bike, I must love denial. It is heavy yes, but that works for me as I am a bigger guy and would rather have a heavier bike. It is faster then most bikes on the road but it isn't a SS bike in any means, its a sport based cruiser. As for gas, mine is decent but I didn't buy it for gas mileage, if I did that I'd have a 250 or a scooter.

Given the choice beween the Ninja and the Kat, ride both and pick the one that fits you. The kawi is much lighter and more nimble but it is a sports bike, and yes I know the Ninja will best the kat at the pumps as well. Before you choose after riding them see if you can sit on them for a while, get used to the position, they are both simular but different. I looked at a Ninja 500 but liked the looks and feel of the Kat much better.

Not everyone needs a GSXR to enjoy riding. I have a friend that sold his 96 kat for a GSXR 600. Enjoyed the racing/stunting thing for a while but still misses the kat for the long rides and normal everyday around town riding.

In the end get what you want and don't listen to any of us.
              Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Originally posted by I Make it Rain
                Yeah, certain quirks, that's the impression that I got which led me to buy mine. Those "certain quirks" translate to you having a slow bike that doesn't get good gas mileage and is limited in it cornering capabilities.
                well hell lets just have him jump into a busa for a first bike, some people dont want it all that fast.. your talking like a jackass, even a gsxr isnt all that great of a starter bike.. maybe some people do the speed limit...
                02 Suzuki Katana 750
                05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

Comment

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to ride the bike here in an hr. I was told its more of a cruiser bike as well, which may be more my style. Im not looking to do wheelies or anything crazy like that. I just want something a bit sporty, but comfy on long rides, as I will be doing alot of them this year.

Comment

then the kat is the best bike for that and someone try and say I'm wrong

Comment

Perfect all around bike... Exactly what Suzuki said it is a sport touring bike it will suit most every civil person well

Comment

I've cleaned up this thread. Please do not feed the trolls.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            I've cleaned up this thread. Please do not feed the trolls.
                            Awww....... oooookkkkkk..........
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Steve: Sorry boss.

mocker: the guys have hit the good points on the head- also the Kat is very inexpensive to insure over a 600 cc race replica bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X