X

Oh no! Hit by car and crashed Katana. Need advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! Hit by car and crashed Katana. Need advice

Car swerved into my lane and hit me. I'm doing well (wearing helmet, leather jacket, armored pants, boots etc.) Bike slid for a long way.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the fairings, a mirror, windshield, and exhaust? I'm trying to get a real rough ballpark estimate so I can get an idea of what the other driver's insurance will be looking to pay out. The bike is worth perhaps $2,500 - if the fairings plus other parts plus labor comes close to $2,500, the insurance company will just cut a check, right?

Has anyone gone through this before? I'm totally lost.

Thanks dudes.

1980 Suzuki GS550E "Miranda" (Retired)

First off I'm glad you're OK.. Good for you wearing your gear...

They may total the bike. Then best case is buy it back..
    How easy the whole process is all depends on the insurance company. Never had that much damage on someone else's insurance before..

Comment

I'm glad I was wearing the gear too. It was uncomfortable at times, but my rule has always been "all the gear all the time". This accident wasn't even a blind driver slowly changing lanes - it was an actual swerve into my lane to avoid something in his lane and it must've happened in about 1 second or less - absolutely no time to react whatsoever. But if I hadn't been wearing the entire full-on gear, I'd have been hurting real bad now after the rolling and the sliding.

If you're still one of those riders who doesn't wear a decent leather or textile jacket, get one and wear it before you do any other mods to your bike. Pants are also a must too - even my nice textile pants were frayed at the end of the accident. Jeans would have been torn to pieces along with my knees. It's just not worth the risk, guys. I consider myself a "safe" rider, but the absolutely unexpected can still happen (and does happen).

I'm kind of hoping the insurance company will replace all the damaged plasticwork (making the Kat look real nice), and give me the new custom exhaust to replace the one that is now scraped to pieces. But my guess is that the parts and labor will be at least a couple of grand and they'll tell me that the Kat's beyond repair. (In which case I'll buy it back and continue riding it and make the repairs on a piece by piece basis myself - I don't want my Kat to go, especially since there's nothing on the market I'd really like to replace it with except another Katana).

Comment

Sorry to hear you got hit but I'm glad your able to be up and about.

Without more info (hint fill out ride profile ) it's hard to say the costs of repairs. Basically what are you riding? a pre 98 or a 98+?

98+ fairings are $400+ new, close to $700 cdn up here .

If it's an older bike I'd be surprised if they didn't write off your bike. Some companies (again up here in Ontario) will let you buy back the bike for 30% of the payout, IF and only if it's not written off as unsalvagable. Haggis's Brother in law got hit and because the footpeg mount cracked at the frame they wrote the bike off and would not allow him to buy it back.
        Kyle

Comment

I'm gonna guess they'll prolly total it

Exhaust will be about 500
          Fairings will be 425 each
          mirror is about 80
          windsheild is about 80

labor will be about 500 or more

So you're lookin at about 2k for repairs at a minimum

They'll just cut the check
          97 Katana 600
          [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Smart man. I'm glad you got your head on straight and that you're ok.

As peter said, if it's totalled but the frame is ok buy it back and fix up with used parts and packet the difference. I'm not sure what year/milage your kat was but if you like Katana so much and it gets totalled and is beyond repair just get a new one. Someone on here just bought brand new 06 750 for just over $5600

Good luck brother.
            Rock out with your knee out

FREE utilities for your PC

Comment

double post ftl
              Rock out with your knee out

FREE utilities for your PC

Comment

good to hear your ok. keep us posted on the outcome.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

That's not good news. It was a 1998 Kat 600.

So if they cut a check for $2,500 (which I'll argue for considering the brand spanking new tires I had on the motorcycle that cost an arm and a leg), they might let me buy the beaten up Katana back for $750? It's rideable as is, and with a piece of sandpaper, a spraycan and some crazy glue, I bet I could have it back to 75% of what it looked like before (although it might elicit a few laughs at a stoplight or two). But I'm not sure this is worth it on paper because then I'd only have $1,750 left and a bike that had a "salvage" title that nobody will want to buy if and when I decide to sell.

I'm strongly considering going for a later-model GS500F if I get a check - it's Kat-like in terms of looks and simplicity/bulletproofness.

But I have always wanted a Harley at some point in my life. Perhaps now is as good a time as any to pick one up...

Comment

also get your gear reimbursed. dont forget that.

Comment

Originally posted by owace
                      also get your gear reimbursed. dont forget that.
                      I didn't realize I could claim that. Does this even cover things like pants?

Comment

It's gear make sure you include that in your quote...helmet, gloves, pants and boots...it's all a part of your riding gear...if your state has a helmet law that helps the cause...if they give you any lip just tell them that if you weren't wearing the gear they would have to shill out a ton more in Dr. bills...and that is much more expensive than replacing $1,500.00 worth of gear...
                        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by katman1975
                          But I have always wanted a Harley at some point in my life. Perhaps now is as good a time as any to pick one up...
                          Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JK, I hate to see people go the Harley route because EVERYONE has one. I like Harley's myself (it's an entirely different deal than a Kat) for what they are, but all the RUB's are a deal killer for me.

Oh, on the gear, under my insurance, that is an Accessory (which is covered) I don't know if I called it gear if they would cover it...... It's all semantics, but they'll try to deny you if you use the wrong term. Check your policy to see the phrasing they use.
                          -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                          -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Man that sucks! Glad you're OK though. I'm glad you were wearing all your gear when it happened too or you may not have been in the best of shape right now.

=USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Remember when the insurance company comes up with a $$ amount before you accept it make sure you hit all the local bike selling papers or sites in your area to make sure it's comparable to what your your bike is currently selling for. You gotta be careful not to let them lowball you.

Do the same for your gear, hit a dealer and get the retail prices of everything.
                              Kyle

Comment

Working...
                              X