X

Picked up this '83 750, kinda' banged up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up this '83 750, kinda' banged up

Not so bad that it's beyond fixing up. I'm working on getting the title, then I'm going to start digging into things...

Hey Gang, a few questions, if I may:

I know I'll be getting rid of the exhaust, and building something more suited to it's stature so it doesn't bottom out on every pebble. Is the exhaust at all desirable, or pretty much junk since it's flattened out on the bottom?

Parts needed: so far I know I'm looking for the left bar switch assembly. Lead on a source?

Fairing repair: what type of plastic is this fairing made of? I'll be needing to do some repair.. and have not done this before. You'll notice some aluminum pieces riveted to the side of the fairing where it went down and took out the turn signal mounts on both sides...

Advice and thoughts appreciated!
    Last edited by versicat; 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There's people out there that dig those Yosh mufflers. Although, that one looks newer than a mid-80's vintage can. When you get shocks back on, it may sit up at a decent height. It does look like alot of pipe below the frame, though.
      GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

That damage isn't so bad that it needs repair or replaced.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          That damage isn't so bad that it needs repair or replaced.
          Thanks guys. I'll clean 'em up and throw 'em on Fleabay.

Fact is, I've always wanted to build me a set of headers, and this may be the perfect bike to use as a guinea pig. It needs a set of sidewinder type drag pipes.
          May keep them around long enough to use them as a template in one way or another for the new set...

Comment

Bolt-in engine swap

Hey gang,

I'm new to these bikes. What engines bolt in or nearly bolt in to this 750's frame?

Comment

Nice project....previous owner had an interesting issue with painting the motor...I wonder if a GS1000 or 1100 motor can be stuffed in there but that would be kind of too much work in my opinion. I would keep it with the original motor and maybe get a big bore kit , head work, carbs etc. .... but that's just me.
              In any case CONGRATS on the find!!! Please keep us posted on the project!!!!
              79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                Nice project....previous owner had an interesting issue with painting the motor...I wonder if a GS1000 or 1100 motor can be stuffed in there but that would be kind of too much work in my opinion. I would keep it with the original motor and maybe get a big bore kit , head work, carbs etc. .... but that's just me.
                In any case CONGRATS on the find!!! Please keep us posted on the project!!!!
                Thanks! I will indeed keep posting. At VIN inspection right now.

Comment

Soo.... I just picked up an 81 gs550t project bike a couple weeks ago, and in my research i stumbled across the 81 gs550m. Badged a Katana. Looks alot like your bike. In 1988+ the "katana" is a gsxf. In the early 80's the Katana is a variant of the gs model. Having said that, a gs1100 motor is likely to bolt in. In my circumstances, the gs550t and gs550m Katana ate basically the same bike but the Katana has fairings and probably a modified frame but the motors are almost identical.

For more specific interchangeability you may want to venture over to thegsresources.com
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I've enrolled at the local community college (at age 49!).

Intro to welding, intro to TIG, basic machining.

Am going to learn to do some of the stuff I've been dying to learn, like making headers, aluminum gas tanks and body parts, and more. Here's some pix of my other bike and the tank I want to build for it:

Gas tank (this is not my work):

My Yamaha:

Comment

Working...
                    X