Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw in my rear tire

Hi,

I noticed a screw in my rear tire today. Not sure how long it's been there,
    or how long the screw is. It's all the way in.

Does this mean I have to get a new rear tire?

Thanks
    "You can pour syrup on sh*t, but that doesn't make it pancakes"

unfortunately yes, you have to get a new one. Plugging it is not the safest idea.

Comment

Probably, but take it out first and see what happens. I had a nail in my tire once, pulled it and discovered it was only about an 1/4 inch of one.

Depending on the location you might be able to plug or patch the tire if need be.
      Kyle

Comment

Another f'in thread! Holy crap Im going to scream. Do a search! Youll see its 50/50. Some replace, some plug.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukirider09 View Post
          unfortunately yes, you have to get a new one. Plugging it is not the safest idea.
          Yah I agree. Good thing I looked.

You think it's safe to ride 10 miles to the shop?

Comment

Probably... If it is a daily commuter bike then a patch would be ok if it is in the center. You you are gonna be really getting into it a new tire is best. This is from the guy who replaced 2 within a week because of nails. I have a GSXR. They also say that it is only rated for 80 mph after you plug it.
            ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

I plugged my tire on a vtx 1800 with a mushroom plug. It is a mix between a patch and plug. They work really well. I continued to ride my vtx as usual and drag race it on weekends. I never had problems for the 5k it was on.

This http://www.reliableautorepairil.com/.../PlugPatch.jpg
              Last edited by Ilovemyvtx; 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM.
              Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

I plug them and forget them...jus' sayin'.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I've had a plug in mine for a couple thousand and no probs. But the safe thing would be to get a new tire.

Comment

I had the same problem as you,... found a screw in my rear tire. They were only 3 weeks old at the time so I asked the bike shop to put a patch on it cause I didn't feel like spending another $200 at the time. I put about 12,000 km on them after that without any problem. Just to be safe though, I did replace the tires before they got to the wear bars. Another thing, most of my riding was just commuting and not very aggressive. Since it's the rear tire, I'd just patch it (depending on the location of the screw), if it was the front... I'd replace it for sure.

J
                    ROCP

Comment

Originally posted by travg View Post
                      I've had a plug in mine for a couple thousand and no probs. But the safe thing would be to get a new tire.
                      is there a thread dedicated to your front turn signals?

Originally posted by mezalaja View Post
                      I had the same problem as you,... found a screw in my rear tire. They were only 3 weeks old at the time so I asked the bike shop to put a patch on it cause I didn't feel like spending another $200 at the time. I put about 12,000 km on them after that without any problem. Just to be safe though, I did replace the tires before they got to the wear bars. Another thing, most of my riding was just commuting and not very aggressive. Since it's the rear tire, I'd just patch it (depending on the location of the screw), if it was the front... I'd replace it for sure.

J

That blows. I am afraid once I put new tires on the same thing is going to happen.

I'm pretty sure I am riding the tires from the factory, and if so they have 9000 miles on them. Maybe it's time for new ones anyways.

Will post pics, of screw and tires.
                      Last edited by plucas_78; 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                        Another f'in thread! Holy crap Im going to scream. Do a search! Youll see its 50/50. Some replace, some plug.
                        and some prefer professionally installed inside patches and some prefer plugs. I have ridden with both, and prefer the patches.

Originally posted by plucas_78 View Post
                        is there a thread dedicated to your front turn signals?

That blows. I am afraid once I put new tires on the same thing is going to happen.

I'm pretty sure I am riding the tires from the factory, and if so they have 9000 miles on them. Maybe it's time for new ones anyways.

Will post pics, of screw and tires.
                        are they macadams, if so they are original and replace them with anything else.
                        Last edited by erok011; 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        May the road rise up to meet you.
                        May the wind always be at your back.
                        May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                        and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                        And until we meet again,
                        May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                        RIP Marc

Comment

Originally posted by erok011 View Post
                          and some prefer professionally installed inside patches and some prefer plugs. I have ridden with both, and prefer the patches.

are they macadams, if so they are original and replace them with anything else.
                          Yes I think so. There is a sticker on the swing arm that matches the tire so I think they're original?

Comment

lose the macadams! They are rocks when new, and by now are probably dry rotted. i like pilot power 2's, but there are lots of options.
                            May the road rise up to meet you.
                            May the wind always be at your back.
                            May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                            and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                            And until we meet again,
                            May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                            RIP Marc

Comment

plugging a tire is fine, but patch from the inside of the tire

Comment

Working...
                              X