No announcement yet.
X

Some chain/sprocket/gearing questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some chain/sprocket/gearing questions.

As I'm reading around more and more trying to find answers to my questions, I'm just getting more confused. So here come the noob questions I'm sure you've all seen before at one point or another.

All these questions will pertain to my 1993 600. I commute with it and have an addiction to twisty roads.

I'm mechanically inclined to the point that if someone tells me what's wrong, I don't have much trouble fixing it. My diagnostic skills are a bit lacking.

First off, what exactly does a 520 conversion do for me? I've gathered that 520 is a narrower chain and some people think it's a good thing to do and some think it's just BS. I've been told it's about time to replace my sprockets and chain. Is there any point in going smaller than the stock stuff?

Next, what's the good stuff? Since I have to replace them, what's the best bang for my buck? I know absolutely nothing about the various manufacturers. I could care less about bling. I want something that's good for just plain old everyday riding, but isn't going to suck my wallet dry. Namely I want something I can put on there and trust to ride halfway across the country if I so desire. What are good brands? What should I stay away from? Where's a good place to order them from?

O-ring? X-ring? Z-ring? XYZPDQ-ring? WTF-ring? Huh?!?!

Next, since I commute with the bike and could care less about being able to accelerate faster than the space shuttle, how does one determine the length of the chain needed when changing sprocket sizes? For example, I think the stock sizes on the Pre 600 were 14/46. If, for example I were to drop two teeth in the rear to 44, do I order a 112 link chain or something smaller?
    1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
    1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

Originally posted by wraith0078 View Post
    As I'm reading around more and more trying to find answers to my questions, I'm just getting more confused. So here come the noob questions I'm sure you've all seen before at one point or another.

All these questions will pertain to my 1993 600. I commute with it and have an addiction to twisty roads.

I'm mechanically inclined to the point that if someone tells me what's wrong, I don't have much trouble fixing it. My diagnostic skills are a bit lacking.

First off, what exactly does a 520 conversion do for me? I've gathered that 520 is a narrower chain and some people think it's a good thing to do and some think it's just BS. I've been told it's about time to replace my sprockets and chain. Is there any point in going smaller than the stock stuff?

Next, what's the good stuff? Since I have to replace them, what's the best bang for my buck? I know absolutely nothing about the various manufacturers. I could care less about bling. I want something that's good for just plain old everyday riding, but isn't going to suck my wallet dry. Namely I want something I can put on there and trust to ride halfway across the country if I so desire. What are good brands? What should I stay away from? Where's a good place to order them from?

O-ring? X-ring? Z-ring? XYZPDQ-ring? WTF-ring? Huh?!?!

Next, since I commute with the bike and could care less about being able to accelerate faster than the space shuttle, how does one determine the length of the chain needed when changing sprocket sizes? For example, I think the stock sizes on the Pre 600 were 14/46. If, for example I were to drop two teeth in the rear to 44, do I order a 112 link chain or something smaller?
    520 conversion "does" nothing for you really. In theory is drops a little weight, but the performance level of the bike isn't going to be used near enough to the "line" to make any real difference for your riding.

Pros for 530... it's stock, it's heavier duty, so it lasts longer.
    Cons for 530... Less options, higher costs on average.
    Pros for 520... lower costs, more options (colors, etc), slightly less weight.
    Cons for 520... Possible quicker wear so needs replacement more often.

I hear people recomend Renthal sprokets... I went with Vortex 520 conversion, as I did want a little bling for inexpensive. Someone else I'm sure with more knowledge of the brands can comment on this better than I.

I choose X ring chain. At the minimal, I would suggest O-ring. Less than that I hear has a real bad tendency to stretch quickly.

For every tooth loss -1 link, for every tooth gain +1 link. Chain links must be added or removed in pairs, so the total # of links is always an even number. Your adjuster can absorb pretty easily the difference of 1 link ussually. For your example... if you start stock 14/46 with 112 link chain, and change to 14/44... you need to drop to a 110 link chain. -2 teeth = -2 links.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Get an RK/EK chain, I got an X-ring and loved it. As for sprockets, if you want something thats functional and aren't worried about the bling I would get Vortex sprockets. I got my rear anodized black which was sweet.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Go with an X ring chain, I use the OEM Suziki sprockets.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Al sprockets wear quicker than steel , but are lighter . You make the call .....
          3 teeth up on the rear ain't a bad change .
          o-ring chains are just fine . hELL , EVEN A CHEAPY ROLLER CHAIN IN THEORY IS JUST FINE (TENSILE STREGTH RATING AND SUCH) . X-ring , W-ring , all that crap , if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy , more power to ya . Main thing is you TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHAIN :MD86 ! It REALLY sucks throwing a chain and being stuck in the middle of nowhere .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I recommend the OEM front sprockets (98+ anyway) as the have the rubber dampener built in that helps reduce vibrations, noise and wear. if the post bike have um stick with um..
            Chains... D.I.D, Tsubaki, EK, RK o-ring chains are all decent bang for the buck
            I don't recommend a 520 conversion but each to his own and all that...
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

520 chain is slightly lighter and will stretch faster. There is no real benefit as heavy as the bike is anyway. Stick with the 530. You can get 530 in colors now too. check HS2020's shop at www.mopowersports.com for the chain and the sprockets. Some people get aluminum hoping to reduce weight but they also wear faster. Just stick to steel since its much cheaper. As for your stock, I don't know what yours is. Mine on a 97 600 is 14/45. I just went up to 14/47 so that the extra 2 in the rear will give me a little more low end power. I shouldn't be riding past 90mph to begin with so the loss at the top end doesn't bother me.

As for the chain. I got a 120 link chain. Because of going up I am cutting 6 links out and then using the master to rivet. Thats a 114link for those playing the home game but I will confirm later when I am done.

Now I just have to find a pin setter/breaker locally.

Comment

So going up, or down, one tooth in the rear roughly = going up or down 1 (Actually 2) links on the chain?

So if you go from 14/46 112 to a 15/45, does it even out and stay 112?

These guys are about the cheapest I've found for a QUALITY chain / sprocket set up. Plus, they let you select what combination of sprockets you want for you application and they state they will cut the chain to the correct length for the combo you order

We are sorry, but this page cannot be found. If you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for, please contact us .

$170 shipped to your door.

HTH

Comment

stays 112, like the pre 600 kat went for 14/46 to 14/45 in like 92 or something yet 88-97 are 112

Comment

There's a formula for it SOMEWHERE . It was on the back of the sprocket box I bought last time , and I BELIEVE it was posted on here ....
                    found it . http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...formula&page=3
                    Last edited by md86; 03-06-2009, 02:54 AM.
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X