X

washing the rims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washing the rims

i know this sounds dumb but hw does everyone go about washin their rims?

my rims get really damn dirty really damn easy and i dont understand i just changed to some new brake pads maybe thats it?

anyways its hard as ehll to get to everything with sprockets and rotors in the way any tips or good cleaning stuff to help get the job done?
    Yo

Personally, I just use carwash soap and water with one of those wash-gloves so I can get into the cracks. But then, mine don't seem to get that dirty. Maybe that is just me though?

Comment

Yeah, thats about what I do, too. I like the dark grey wheels on my B12 'cause they don't show grit much.

Hey, I wonder if cooking spray would make 'em easier to clean?
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I use bike wash or car wash soap, whichever I grab first. I have my soaps/wash mixed up in spray bottles. So, I spray a little on the rims and let it soak, then I wash em down. I use a sponge, but my favorite tool to get in the hard spots is one of the toilet sponge thingys (long handle, sponge kinda looks like a flower). Works great I use it on my car wheels too.
        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

For the rear rim I use a rag damp with kerosene and wipe the chain wax that has flung onto the rim off. Then I wash the bike as you would normally do.

Having Black rims they tend to hide the dirt better than you guys with silver or white ones though.
          Kyle

Comment

thanks for the help

i was just wondering if theres a secret to it lol

does anyone know why my rear rim is gettign really dirty?
            Yo

Comment

Are you using any type of oil based dressings or polish on your wheels?
              This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by FASHER
                but my favorite tool to get in the hard spots is one of the toilet sponge thingys (long handle, sponge kinda looks like a flower). Works great I use it on my car wheels too.
                I use a toilet brush too. Mr. Clean brand.. 99 cents.
                It's the bristle type but shaped like a bullet. Works great
                everywhere on the bike. Like around the starter, headpipes,
                swingarm and shock.. And of course the wheels..
                I really like how the bristles get into the fins of the engine..

Comment

I am a big fan of Moose's Sludge Away. I picked up a big bottle from Dennis Kirk. it really does a great job cutting through grime. I spray down my wheels wait a minute then wipe with a rag.

Comment

Wow, the toilet brush ideas are cool. Much cheaper than anything you might buy at the auto parts store, and I don't EVEN want to think how much brushes would cost at the MC shop.

You have several things dirtying up your rear wheels:
                    Brake pad dust- yes, new pads will produce more dust than broken-in ones, but they will always dust;
                    Excess chain lube- no matter how much you try, you can't get all the excess off- and if you did, you would not have enough lube to do the job for your chain. Dirty wheels are the price you pay;
                    Tire dust- both tires make this stuff, some of it will end up on the wheel, esp. with all that stick stuff to keep it there;
                    Anything that sluoughs off the engine, and;
                    Road dirt, kicked up by the front tire.

What can be done? Not much, but you can:
                    Keep engine tite, no oil leaks;
                    clean excess lube off chain as best you can, use aftermarket lubes instead of the 30W oil Suzuki recommends;
                    Use ceramic brake pads, if available.

And you can keep the conventional brake dust off asbestos you can...
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

In regards to cleaning the chain lube/wax from your wheel, I use
                      mineral spirits. Put some on a rag and the stuff wipes right off. Its cheap too.
                      AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

I use a de-greaser i got at the autozone, i think its "royal purple". I just spray it on the rims and after I get done spraying the other side, i just rinse it off with a pressure washer. Just be carefull where you spray (remember its a DE-GREASER) so if you get any on your chain, be sure to spray some lube on it (i always do after washing the bike anyway)

FYI - if you have polished lips/rims, get ready to re-polish them again after using royal purple (it will make your polished rim dull) a little mothers polish always takes care of it.
                        PAUL
                        93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

I clean my rims about every two or three weeks. I just cleaned my rear rim 2 days back cause I replaced the sprocket and had to remove the wheel. For the realy tough grease stains, I sprayed some WD40 so it was easy to clean off with a rag. I then used a teflon based cleaning agent after that.
                          2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

Working...
                          X