X

She is hard to start when hot...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She is hard to start when hot...

I just got back from a late night (spirited) cruise. After riding for about 30 miles I stopped for a beverage. The last 3 miles were in stop and go traffic in Toronto. When I was ready to hit the road again (3 to 5 min later), she had a hard time starting. She would crank over but would sputter a little then finally catch after three cranking attempts. Im running half a can of Seafoam through now on a full tank of 89 octane. Its a 2003 600, 12k mi, carbs never cleaned, or synchronized, original plugs, as far as I know. I adjusted the A/F screws to 2.5 turns out. Ive had the bike since May 2010. Thanks for any advice.
    Greg
    '03 600 Kat
    '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Do your regular tune-up stuff . When MINE'S hot , it seems it's running as soon as I thumb the starter many times ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I can't wait to hear the final verdict.
      Mine seems to start hard all the time hot cold it just doesn't matter.
      It's never let me down it always starts after some cranking and fiddling with the choke but I agree when hot it should start immediately when you hit the start button! I'm thinking mine is electrical related. I want to put an on off switch on the headlight so I can turn it off when I start the bike. I think that will help me, who knows.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I will start with the plugs. Called Candian Tire (our most common parts store) ad was quoted $22 ea !!! My parts guy who sells from his parents' basement wants $12 no tax no receipt. CR9EK right?
        Last edited by 4banger; 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM. Reason: added info
        '03 600 Kat
        '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
          hot cold it just doesn't matter.
          It's never let me down it always starts after some cranking and fiddling with the choke but I agree when hot it should start immediately when you hit the start button!
          Well . Somethin's up . that's for DAYUM sho . guess you got a strong battery ....
          Originally posted by 4banger View Post
          I will start with the plugs. Called Candian Tire (our most common parts store) ad was quoted $22 ea !!! My parts guy who sells from his parents' basement wants $12 no tax no receipt. CR9EK right?
          Horry cwap ! . I find plugs for like $4 a piece . And I like to keep spares . Plugs are good .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sometimes if its hot enough gas in the bowls seems to evaporate making the next start up a little more difficult. If it happens again try putting it on prime for 10 seconds then giving it a go...

I haven't replaced plugs in almost three years.. guess I am just lucky. Prolly do it this fall/winter.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
              Sometimes if its hot enough gas in the bowls seems to evaporate making the next start up a little more difficult. If it happens again try putting it on prime for 10 seconds then giving it a go...

I haven't replaced plugs in almost three years.. guess I am just lucky. Prolly do it this fall/winter.
              That's a good idea, I didn't think of that.
              '03 600 Kat
              '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                Well . Somethin's up . that's for DAYUM sho . guess you got a strong battery ....
                Yup new this season and fully charged.

Comment

Take a long time to run well or can you shut choke off from a cold start after less than 30 seconds?

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

small valve clearance can kill your compression when hot and the valve tail dilated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Take a long time to run well or can you shut choke off from a cold start after less than 30 seconds?

Krey
                      Well it depends. From cold it takes full choke for 10 sec or so and I can ween it off little by little until it's about 1/8" to 1/4" on the lever and that's how I ride for the first 1/2 mile to work. Than off. 30 sec? I would say it's on for longer than that, several minutes I would think. I hate to let it sit idling at 4000 rpm's for any length of time so I ween the choke off to keep the idle down. When it's hot it sometimes needs that 1/8" to start and again run it for 1/2 mile or so and than off. And sometimes the throttle feels a bit soft and the 1/8" choke will crisp it up a bit. I'll ride for a while and turn it off and usually it's OK for the rest of the ride. The bike loves to be HOT. We just had some 97 to 105 degree days and it ran it's best.

Comment

Your pilot circuit is overly lean and cuasing your issues. This could be from... vacuum leaks, dirty pilot jets/ciruit, improperly adjusted A/F screws, or new gas mixtures that you now need to adjust for.

Your bike should run fine with no choke before your able to get your helmet on and take off when it's warm outside... less than 30 seconds.

The fact that it needs choke (your adding fuel with that lever btw... ) when warm = it's running very lean atm.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That could explain why I can get 50mpg out of this baby

Sounds like a weekend project. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                            From a cold start I can shut choke off after at least 60-90 sec, any sooner and it dies.
                            '03 600 Kat
                            '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Spray carb cleaner around hoses, intake boots...any rubber that is part of the intake vacuum side and the engine will rev up when the leak is found.....

Comment

Working...
                              X