X

LED Frame Slider Prototype

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Frame Slider Prototype

As I near completion on a couple of LED bar ends for a member here, I am going to put together the first set of LED frame sliders sometime soon. The frame slider section I will be making will only be a replacement for the piece that would strike the ground in the event of a crash - not the actual bracket as there are already two people/sponsers that offer that (for 98+).

Unfortunately with the bar ends I found out that replacement bars were also necessary. This added significant cost. With the frame sliders it should just be simple replacement. The design should work with either of our sponsor's kits.

Basically I am making these regardless if anyone else wants them, but thought I would inquire with you guys to see what/if any interest there is. If so, what material would you want them made out of? Delrin (white or black), ABS, aluminum?? I prefer to stay away from stainless as it will boost the costs of material and labor.

I don't have a price or a photo yet of the finished slider since I have not yet completed one. The concept is to have the LEDs facing the bike inside of a tube, with the reflected light bouncing back and escaping between the ID of the tube and the OD of the center piece - similar to that 'halo' look of an afterburner. Basically the LED itself will not be visible, just the light it emits. Cost wise I am hoping it can be in the $75 range - but that all depends on a variety of factors.

Let me know what you think...
    -2000 "750"

That sounds freaking sweet, will it cross over to other applications? I have no knowledge about the Katana sliders but I know I want a set of these!
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Hopefully yes. They will attach to a mounting bracket by a bolt that passes through the center of the slider axially. The Kat uses a bolt around 3/8". Ultimately the diameter of this hole could change to accomodate. Procurring the proper bolt with the right threads and length would be up to the user (if non-kat)
      -2000 "750"

Comment

I'm definately curiuos how they will turn out...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Pretty cool.

This website might be of some help for you. It will generate a wiring diagram & tell you how much power it will draw depending on the amount and kind of LEDs you want to use. It works awesome.

Comment

I think you should make them with translucent sliders so the whole thing lights up!
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
              I think you should make them with translucent sliders so the whole thing lights up!
              Clear lexan maybe.. the leds in a ring at the base.. fused too so if they are broken off it will pop the fuse and not short out
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

definitly sounds interesting to me

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                  Clear lexan maybe.. the leds in a ring at the base.. fused too so if they are broken off it will pop the fuse and not short out
                  Ahhhh single wire for power.. use the bolt for the spool itself as the ground..
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                  X