Clothe yourself in KR
 

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
ryan5685
Chicken Strip
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CINCINNATI
Posts: 17

Default My gearbox has a few problems, should I replace the whole thing?

My kat is in sort of rough shape.

1.When I shift from first to second it sometimes completely skips second gear and goes to third.
2.My second gear is ground to shit and will disengage for a second if I give it almost any gas.
3.It's just generally hard to shift, I sometimes jam on the shifter and nothing happens, so I have to let the clutch out, pull it back in and then it works.
4.It's hard to find neutral.

I replaced the oil not too long ago, maybe in november or december. I've been riding regularly since then. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping the gearbox and doing some work in there but I don't have the tools for it and I don't know if I'll screw anything up.
__________________
~~Ryan

92 Katana 600
The Ohio State University, Columbus
ryan5685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King
 
Kreylyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 15,814
eBay ID: Kreylyn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5685 View Post
My kat is in sort of rough shape.

1.When I shift from first to second it sometimes completely skips second gear and goes to third.
2.My second gear is ground to shit and will disengage for a second if I give it almost any gas.
3.It's just generally hard to shift, I sometimes jam on the shifter and nothing happens, so I have to let the clutch out, pull it back in and then it works.
4.It's hard to find neutral.

I replaced the oil not too long ago, maybe in november or december. I've been riding regularly since then. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping the gearbox and doing some work in there but I don't have the tools for it and I don't know if I'll screw anything up.
You get tool sets with all the tools needed for less than $25.

Your issue would be most likely bent shift forks, and possibly needing a couple gears replaced due to damaged cogs.

Total costs for you to do it yourself... probably less than $75-100 buying the tools.

Getting a new "gearbox" would = entire new lower engine case, and require significant more work and know how. Costs would be starting in the $300+ range doing it yourself.

Krey
__________________
93 750 Kat



Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
ryan5685
Chicken Strip
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CINCINNATI
Posts: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
You get tool sets with all the tools needed for less than $25.

Your issue would be most likely bent shift forks, and possibly needing a couple gears replaced due to damaged cogs.

Total costs for you to do it yourself... probably less than $75-100 buying the tools.

Getting a new "gearbox" would = entire new lower engine case, and require significant more work and know how. Costs would be starting in the $300+ range doing it yourself.

Krey

Thanks a lot! Do you know if there is any videos I can find documenting the process? I might be able to use the service manual and look at videos of other bikes but I don't know jack about transmissions so I might screw it up
ryan5685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King
 
Kreylyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 15,814
eBay ID: Kreylyn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5685 View Post
Thanks a lot! Do you know if there is any videos I can find documenting the process? I might be able to use the service manual and look at videos of other bikes but I don't know jack about transmissions so I might screw it up
Get and use a manual.

Check this out also. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138967

Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

  KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rattling in the gearbox jeff1833 Mechanics 101 6 10-31-2013 07:31 PM
Help! Grinding from gearbox? crazycraven420 Mechanics 101 7 01-21-2013 07:30 AM
speedo gearbox dhir69 Mechanics 101 3 10-23-2008 12:23 AM
Gearbox swap kieselbach75 Mechanics 101 9 08-13-2008 07:26 PM
Loose gearbox??? rnmdad Mechanics 101 3 08-08-2006 03:48 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Katriders.com, Copyright ©2004 - 2018

Like Cigars? Check out Vitola.org