X

New Member+Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member+Questions

I am pretty new to riding and wanted to know if a Katana 600 would be a good bike to learn on. I owned a 2007 Ninja 250 for only a couple months until I needed to get a hand surgery, forcing me to sell the bike but I feel comfortable with riding again. Also, I am 6'0", about 160 lbs. How easy and agile of a bike is this? Any insight or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Many new riders use the katana, it's a heavy bike, 540# dry. Take it easy till you're used to the weight and ride to your skill level.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I think the Kat would be a great bike to learn on for anyone tall or larger. I would usually recomend something a bit smaller and more forgiving like a 250-500, but they are just that, smaller. If you're over 6' or more than 200lbs those bikes can be quite uncomfortable and slugish. You're not going to be winning any races with a kat, they aren't made for it, but they are still alot of fun and very comfortable. Most bikes will be easy to control once in motion. it doesn't take much to make a bike lean. one of the biggest things to think about though, is will you be able to pick it back up when you drop it? At 500+ lbs, this thing is a beast to move once its on the gorund.

Comment

I started on a ninja 250 and moved up to a Kat 600 - never had any issues. Much more power, but not stupidly so. Much better handling too, and the suspension is actually a weak point on these bikes.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR! Take your time and the 600 should serve you well.
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

I started on my Kat. Been riding for about 4 months now. It has enough power on tap to mess up a careless rider. Just be cautuous and know that you're riding near the equivelant of a loaded gun.

Alot of motorcyclists argue that one should start on a small displacement bike -- they're absolutly right. Much safer. That said, one can start on ANY motorcycle in the world available. They will be just fine assuming that they have smooth and reasonable throttle control. One could start on a 1000cc superbike, and they would be just fine until they reach a corner. They'll give it too much throttle unevenly, the rear tire will slip, they'll chop the throttle as a response, the tire will regain traction and they'll high side as a result.

Take it slow and one can start on any bike. I agree however with suggestions less is more early on.
              - Purplehaze
              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bkohs View Post
                one of the biggest things to think about though, is will you be able to pick it back up when you drop it? At 500+ lbs, this thing is a beast to move once its on the gorund.

That's the thing I'm thinking about the most. My dad rides a 750 Katana and it takes a fair bit of effort on my part to move it if I need to.

Comment

love my kat!! that was and is my first bike. been riding 3 yrs now. these bikes are bullet proof if you treat them right. not the fastest bike but has more than enough power for a beginner. I'm 6' tall 180 lbs tho.
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                  X