X

Sure way to set float level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure way to set float level

I just completed a carb overhaul and in the process I reset my floats. The procedure is to have the floats touching but not putting any pressure on the float needle. Neat trick if you can do it! I couldn't see the float needle under the little metal tab so here's what I came up with. Remove one float bowl. Turn the carbs up vertically. Now blow on the fuel line and while doing so keep leaning the carbs over until you see the floats start to rotate out of the bowl. The instant the float needle releases the air pressure from you blowing you will feel it in your jaw and also hear the air escaping. That's where you measure the float height, should be 13 mm. You must do this one float at a time because with all the float bowls off you can't determine which one is bleeding off air. You may have to rotate the carbs back and forth a few times to get the feel of it but I think it's probably one of the most accurate ways to set floats. You can actually determine when the float needle is releasing using this technique.

The manual I have is straight forward in the setting of the float height.

Float height adjustment
    12 With the float chamber body off the carburetor, hold the carburetor upside down and measure float height from the carburetor body (see illustration).

13 If the float height is not at the level listed in this Chapter's Specifications, bend the float arm to adjust it.

14 After the fuel level for each carburetor has been adjusted, assemble and install the carburetors.

Does that mean without the little spring-loaded-pin being compressed or uncompressed by the weight of the floats? I'm going to try your air trick because I'm having some issues. Good idea!!

--- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
    --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

just hold the carbs like your reading the bottom of a pop can, 30 degree angle.

Comment

It's usually a two man operation when we do it, but we've gotten quite good at it.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yea, you can hold the carbs at an angle but here again, are you positive your not compressing the float needle? How do you ensure your at the point of release/opening? The manual I have says to have the floats just touch not compress the float needles. I've never seen one where it says to turn the carbs upside down. If you do that you are definitely compressing the float needle beyond anything I've ever read. This is one of those procedures where you can ask five guys how to set the floats and get ten different answers. Just thot I'd throw my technique out there for general info.

Comment

Working...
          X