Any other Katana-ish bikes out there?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Owl View Post
    I think that would be his best choice, the others is backache time
    You did not try the new gsxf's then, they are a small puny uncomfortable bike.

Comment

Originally posted by KeWLKaT View Post
      I tried the gsx 650F for 1236 miles and fell in love with it. Now this would be my next motorcycle were it not for the fact that it would take too long to save up for it, plus the fact I have wanted a kantana for the last 12 years. Of course, the suspension had been slightly modified and it had been retuned.

Due to the fact of my children and grandchildren having motorcycle's we have a variety available. The last month of the riding season we got a 650 ninja and I like it except for comfort and that rattling fairing.

All of the motorcycles named within these posts are good motorcycles for certain people with certain riding habits. But only one is kantana like, and that is the 650F.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
        I am a cheerleader for the Veefers, I am a bit biased though I have a 95 Honda VFR 750.

I had an 04 Kat 750 for awhile they are great bikes, I used to ride it from Ky-IL on long weekends.

I suggest a 5th Gen 98-01 Honda VFR 800 as they are as bullet proof as the Kats and are just as comfortable. They have linked brakes and fuel injection, plus they are pretty rare.
        What are your thoughts on the post 01 to present day VFR's?
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

I don't think I've seen another bike that looks too much like it either. I'd have to agree with a few others and their comments.

Comment

02-present VFRs are great bikes like the rest of them its just that people don't like the Vtec and the real expensive exhaust if you want a slip on.
            From 90-present the seating position on the VFR hasn't really changed only chassis and motor updates. The bike is extremely reliable but its achilles heel is the cam chain tensioners which people have a thousand how tos and places to get stronger replacements. Valve checks aren't really needed because many of them on the forum checked them up until a 100k miles and never had to replace their shims/buckets. They have a bigger cult following then the Kat and many of the owners keep them for years on end. I seen a few of them that had 150k on their orginal motors and suspensions with out any major problems just regular maintenance.

They are great bikes and cheap to maintain/insure and they do just about everything pretty well. I come from riding an 04 Kat 750 as well. The VFR is much better balanced then the Kat, riding position is about the same just alittle more upright, you sit more in the bike then you sit on top of it, and the bike has much quicker turn in then the kat, plus the V4 is a much smoother motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
              I'm probably buying a 2000 ZX12R this summer.
              From what little I have ridden one I know you will enjoy it. More upright than a SS (similar to a post kat 750) but more power than anyone could ever ask for (about 175-ish I think). It's like the ZX-14's retarded little brother
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by KeWLKaT View Post
                sigpic
                2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  From what little I have ridden one I know you will enjoy it. More upright than a SS (similar to a post kat 750) but more power than anyone could ever ask for (about 175-ish I think). It's like the ZX-14's retarded little brother
                  Yeah the hp numbers I've found put it anywhere fom 175hp to 190 hp stock. With the 175hp being stationary on a dyno, the 190hp being a guestimate based on the effects of the ram air once it gets up to speed. The one I should be getting already has a full Yosh exhaust on it, so the most I would do is possibly have the tuning checked to make sure it's all dialed in right. As far as being the ZX14's "retarded little bother" since the ZX-12 was faster stock than the speed limited ZX-14 stock, one could argue that the ZX-14 is the ZX-12's retarded big brother lol.
                  Last edited by Psycho1; 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

The ZX and ZZR modles are great to move on to
                    I have riden Just about everything out there I prefer
                    Kaws.. Not knocking any of the others i just love the
                    the feel of Kawasaki.. I debated between getting a ZX12
                    and a ZX14 for a long time. Exentually I'll have them both
                    but the 14 is next. I test rode one and almost forgot to turn
                    around and bring it back. it was like rydin a dragon. it glided
                    along so gracefully smoothe and effortless then i grabbed a
                    hand full of throttle and she breathed FIRE! the 12 just
                    breathes FIRE!!!! & THE 10 IS JUST PLAIN EVIL!!!!
                    Last edited by SOUPDADY; 01-14-2009, 10:58 PM.
                    ALWAYS THE REAL!!!!

93ZX11D Candy Wine Red
                    Cardon Fiber D&D Full Exhaust,
                    Vortex Sprockets 1dwn frnt 2up back
                    She looks like Hell but is a True Battle Cat!
                    no pun intended
                    07ZX10 Special Edition Stock
                    09ZX14 in the making Need a lil more$$$1st
                    99Kat600 Custom Paint By Kali's AirBrushing, Chrome rims, Chrome GrabBar,Chrome Kickstand, Chrome Heel Gaurds, Braada Cowl,Lowered,Mesh Mod, More mods & Chrome to come

Comment

Look at the 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. This is a new bike with an upright seating position. It is built to look sporty, but ideal for commuting. The seat and handlebar is adjustable to accommodate various sized riders. Priced lower than the GSX650F.

OldYella
                      2002 Katana 600

My Katana Project
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103012
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
                        what about the gsfx 650?
                        A......No.
                        It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
                          02-present VFRs are great bikes like the rest of them its just that people don't like the Vtec and the real expensive exhaust if you want a slip on.
                          From 90-present the seating position on the VFR hasn't really changed only chassis and motor updates. The bike is extremely reliable but its achilles heel is the cam chain tensioners which people have a thousand how tos and places to get stronger replacements. Valve checks aren't really needed because many of them on the forum checked them up until a 100k miles and never had to replace their shims/buckets. They have a bigger cult following then the Kat and many of the owners keep them for years on end. I seen a few of them that had 150k on their orginal motors and suspensions with out any major problems just regular maintenance.

They are great bikes and cheap to maintain/insure and they do just about everything pretty well. I come from riding an 04 Kat 750 as well. The VFR is much better balanced then the Kat, riding position is about the same just alittle more upright, you sit more in the bike then you sit on top of it, and the bike has much quicker turn in then the kat, plus the V4 is a much smoother motor.
                          5th Gen VFR's also have gear driven cams... interesting gear whine sound. I had a pre-600, upgraded to a Kat 750 motor , jetted, advanced and full exhaust. This was my next step:

Haven't had her out on a run yet, but she is saw-wheat! They also suffer from weak rectifiers... fix has already been developed and is readily available.
                          Last edited by VifferJim; 04-21-2009, 09:58 AM.
                          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I would think one of the closet bikes made to the Katana was the Yamaha YZF600R. They are pretty much the same from 98-2007. This pic is of a 2000 model.

Seating position is very similar, similar power to the 750 even though it is a 599cc motor, cuz the bike is a little lighter and handles better than the Kat, IMO. Its also a pretty darn sweet looking bike, with a few cool different color combos.

If I could find a deal on a nice clean one, I'd pick it up and park it next to the gixxer.
                            2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                            BMC Notorious 918 HT
                            2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

A 2003 Thundercat was almost my first bike instead of the Katana. Very similar ergos, with better handling and geared a little less towards ST.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I went from a Kat to an SV1000. I do not think I will go back to a bike similar to the Kat either except for long range 2 up riding. I found that my SV was a good comprimise. It has power close to SS with similar looks (once lowers were added) but it has a slightly more relaxed seating position.

But who can ignore that sweet sweet rumble from the VTwin pumping out through D&Ds......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                                I am a Penn State fanatic.
                                Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                                X