No announcement yet.
X

Suzuki DR 650: Any thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 650 Dual-Sport Challenge from MotorcycleUSA.com. They review & compare a Suzuki DR650SE & a Kawasaki KLR650.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

thanks for this. I used to really want a KLR, but they are big and heavy. The DR has shortcommings, but I just like it better. I also looked at an XR650 L. it was cool, but basically a dirt bike with lights.
      The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

Bought one a few days ago. 2006 DR 650! pictures to follow this week.
        Wow, this thing is a fun monster! needs to be modded a bit to make it the ulimate urban assault vehicle.
        The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

Comment

Are you still busy riding it? Or did you get lost in the back woods and someone did a Ned Beatty on you?

No pics yet.
          Last edited by squiggy; 10-31-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the purchase! That's a great machine (you've probably been too busy riding to post). Please post up a couple of pics.

Comment

Have not had a chance to take pics. Hopefully this weekend. The bike is a ton of fun though. Takes me back to being 14 and learning on a "dual sport." Stock tires are rough in the dirt and the seat is tough, but I will fix that.

Comment

finally, A pic or two.
                Bike is so much fun!
                Attached Files

Comment

That's the same color I would get.

I seen you busy posting over at Adventure Rider. Have fun over there and on the bike.

Comment

They are heavy bikes even for dual sporting IMO. If you can spend a little get a KTM. Lighter, faster, better suspension, brakes or a Husqvarna 610.

I had a KTm 620 for a long time and am going to be getting a 690 as soon as they are out used another year.

Comment

Both the Husky 610 and the KTM 690 are a superior vehicle to the 15+ year old Suzuki. But the DR has an advantage in aftermarket accessories for Suzuki. And it's also its oil cooled and it has lock-nut valve adjustments like the Katana. Simple to do.

If either manufacture, or even aftermarket, offered the same kind of accessories then I would get one of the other two in favor over the DR650.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                        Both the Husky 610 and the KTM 690 are a superior vehicle to the 15+ year old Suzuki. But the DR has an advantage in aftermarket accessories for Suzuki. And it's also its oil cooled and it has lock-nut valve adjustments like the Katana. Simple to do.

If either manufacture, or even aftermarket, offered the same kind of accessories then I would get one of the other two in favor over the DR650.
                        I think aftermarket is much less of an issue for a KTM or husqvarna as really the only things that need upgraded are the seat and the tank size and exhaust. Other then that everything is tops component wise. These items are available aftermarket from numerous vendors.

I seen a lot of guys, some who i ride with who spend a lot of money to upgrade their DR to make them more of a dirt worthy machine. In the end they never can reach the quality of a KTM or a Husq.

If your just going to put around trails the DR or KLR or the honda XRL/XR are great machines. The XR650R is fantastic power wise and for ease of maintenance as well and is just an offraod machine that is usable onroad as well for shorter rides. I just dont like to kickstart anymore=)

Also dont rule out the kawasaki KLX250, very light 6 speed gearbox and electric start. Very usable power and easy to handle, i rode my friends and I just loved it!

All the above are great bikes and you really cant go worng with any of em. If i was riding mostly road i would get a KLR, which is the heaviest and a good road bike. If i was riding light trails and some commuting I would get a DR or an XR/L. The only drawback to the XRL is the seat height.

If I was seriously dual sporting and spent most of my time on trails and double/single track Id get a KTM or Husqvarna 610 for sure.

Comment

If I got a dualsport, my license would be gone in a week. Wheelies for 40 miles...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kapp555 View Post
                            If I was seriously dual sporting and spent most of my time on trails and double/single track Id get a KTM or Husqvarna 610 for sure.
                            I see these two bikes as a "trailer it to the trails then ride it". In my case I would want a bike I can load up from home, ride the 100, 200, 300 miles to the location. Make camp for a couple days, then ride the trails or back country.

Then ride back home.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            If I got a dualsport, my license would be gone in a week. Wheelies for 40 miles...
                            That's like a supermotard bike. Very light weight, high power.

A hooligan bike.
                            Last edited by squiggy; 04-06-2009, 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                              That's like a supermotard bike. Very light weight, high power.

A hooligan bike.
                              It's too easy, hell my old RM would wheelie for at least a mile.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X